Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country but feel they have a god-given right to retire cheaply in Thailand and will complain like there's no tomorrow if they have to pay more than they did 10 years ago for something. 

P.s. I've heard the Philippines is nice this time of year... 

Well if your only here just to read angry comments, you must be a very sad person.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Of course it can same as other places but it all depends on your own needs and preferred lifestyle.

I don't need much but I could pay for more but why should I when I don't need or want too.

I would take it a few out there have read Zen and the art of motorbike maintenance by Robert M Firsig ( spelling, might edit ) but it's a very interesting book.

My nephew put it very well one time.  If your wants are more than you can afford, you won't be happy, and you won't have any money left for the future.  You might not be able to control what you can afford, but you can control what you want.   So just be very careful about what you want.  I generally only have one weakness and that is my computers...  the rest ... not so much...  I just look back and I look at some of the money I spent over the years that was neither productive or really served much of a function other than to fill space -- and I realize ... boy that was stupid ????

For EU citizens, it would be financially reasonable to retire in Spain, Portugal, or why not Germany. There are  many small towns in East Germany, where cold rents are about 3€ per m2. For example a lovely area is Harz with beautiful nature, fascinating architecture (Fachwerkhaus), not so many people, clean air. Food in supermarkets is good and cheap, simple wines (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon etc.) are even under 2€ 0,75L. Large 0,5 l beer starts at 25 cents. For winter one can travel to the south and return for the nice European spring. 

22 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

My nephew put it very well one time.  If your wants are more than you can afford, you won't be happy, and you won't have any money left for the future.  You might not be able to control what you can afford, but you can control what you want.   So just be very careful about what you want.  I generally only have one weakness and that is my computers...  the rest ... not so much...  I just look back and I look at some of the money I spent over the years that was neither productive or really served much of a function other than to fill space -- and I realize ... boy that was stupid ????

Oh so true for me as well, and for many others. 

Luckily?? now I believe I know what's important to me and it's honestly not a lot.

Different people have different needs to make them happy and I have no time for anyone who tells me what they think would make me happier or whatever. I sometimes can't find the right words to explain things so I revert to the lines of popular songs from the 60's/70's like Mathew and Sons and and other songs by Cat Stevens.

“When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”                                                                                                                                                                                                              

"When you post, you are only repeating what you already know. But you listen to all the crap talk on this thai forum I doubt learning anything new.

23 minutes ago, baruto said:

For EU citizens, it would be financially reasonable to retire in Spain, Portugal, or why not Germany. There are  many small towns in East Germany, where cold rents are about 3€ per m2. For example a lovely area is Harz with beautiful nature, fascinating architecture (Fachwerkhaus), not so many people, clean air. Food in supermarkets is good and cheap, simple wines (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon etc.) are even under 2€ 0,75L. Large 0,5 l beer starts at 25 cents. For winter one can travel to the south and return for the nice European spring. 

Yep. Lovely little place 'Eckertal' (spelling??) in that area that was split in two by by the border almost overnight. Spent time there in the 70's on the border and would love to go back and see it now to see the changes.

Edit.

You have given me a new idea to look at. Danke.

14 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

“When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new.”                                                                                                                                                                                                              

"When you post, you are only repeating what you already know. But you listen to all the crap talk on this thai forum I doubt learning anything new.

Well it's nice to know someone who knows so much he can't learn anything new.

Edit.

Doesn't the first part of your post fly in the face of the second part?

Just askin'

7 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Actually I have lived in Panama and it is a really nice country Very friendly do expats and very very easy to live there and work there No 90 day reporting or other ridiculous  requirement  Good infrastructure and hospitals as well What Thailand does not understand is they must compete with the rest of the world for expats money or there will be a breaking point for people will not come anymore

What poor retiree 'expats' (old blokes on the basic pension) need to understand is that there is no competition for them amongst any of the countries actually worth living in. You really aren't the rolled gold blokes you think you are.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Maybe but how uncivilised can you get, I mean replacing a cup of hot Bovril with Vegemite, the mind boggles.

Vegemite is an Australian icon. Bovril? Isn't that the stuff they put in a peculiarly-shaped jar, so Brits can experience their usual masochism in digging it out?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

BS. That's a pie floater, common in the UK. We Aussies are more civilized. Fillet steak and a good shiraz.

Pies and sauce are only eaten by the hoi polloi at Aussie Rules football matches.

Never been to Adelaide then? Pie floater is the national dish there.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Of course it can same as other places but it all depends on your own needs and preferred lifestyle.

I don't need much but I could pay for more but why should I when I don't need or want too.

I would take it a few out there have read Zen and the art of motorbike maintenance by Robert M Firsig ( spelling, might edit ) but it's a very interesting book.

Read that 50 years ago. Made no sense to a 14 year old at the time.

9 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country but feel they have a god-given right to retire cheaply in Thailand and will complain like there's no tomorrow if they have to pay more than they did 10 years ago for something. 

There is never a good time to visit the PI, unless you like the rough side of life and guns! ????

No you're just here to wind people up.

Presumably still more affordable than your home country, hence why you're here?

Many reasons, not to do with money such as the weather?

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Been here 3 years, I've experienced none of that. 

Wow, a whole 3 years, now I understand why you are such an expert and your opinion so highly valued on the forums?!?

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

A legit and deserved success story. 

Poster must be so relieved you have given your approval.

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

LOL. Most expats I see at the bars I drink at come in, have one or two beers and then leave. I don't think their dollars are exactly propping the economy up, to be honest.

So you're an expert on tourist drinking habits based on what goes on in the bar you drink in?

As I said, you're just here to wind people up. Hopefully you'll slope off to the Philippines sometime soon. or find something constructive to do.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

I really do get a bit pi--ed off with all the posts on the lines of if you haven't planned to have enough money for your old age then you are stupid etc and should not be here.

Not everyone is an Einstien and not everyone is a financial wizard.

Lots of setbacks in life can happen to your average Joe in his working life, laid off, wife gets very sick etc etc and it all can eat into cash plans for the future. Fathers pay to help their kids get through Uni' etc and then the kids get a good job, wife and family etc and won't or can't help 'dad' later.

Wife dies first and dad's on his own, takes a break in Thailand feeling lost and a pretty smile cures all ills he has. On that point no-one, other expats, put him straight and he ends up staying here.

His limited income is sufficient for his needs, even legally, until the rules are changed almost overnight and he ends up between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know why people gloat over the hardships of others, in their own mind they probably see themselves as superior. Here's a comment on that point, your sh-t still stinks.

blah blah bad luck stories. Dont have it ..blame the mrs. Be honest and admit a huge part of the western population never invested a bean over 40 years , just pi..ed it away on night clubs and the greyhounds and drinking at the pub for 5 hours straight after work..came to Thailand as a hi so pensioner enjoying a nice little stat dec manipulation got busted, no more stat decs and now they hate Thailand lol 

Thats the real truth !!!

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Yep. Lovely little place 'Eckertal' (spelling??) in that area that was split in two by by the border almost overnight. Spent time there in the 70's on the border and would love to go back and see it now to see the changes.

Edit.

You have given me a new idea to look at. Danke.

I come from Estonia, which is in the north of Europe. Therefore, I can point out another extremely pleasant thing about Harz. Although it is mostly hills and forest, there are almost no mosquitoes or other insects in the summer, which would attack or annoy man. On the other hand there are a lot of "friendly" insects, which the local birds eat. It is such a relief for a northener to enjoy hiking in forest, or reading a book in nature in the summer without protective clothes, repellents, or constant hand waving. Even ticks of the Harz, which I have not seen yet, do not carry any disease. There are ticks in Northern Germany and also in Bayern, which are dangerous. Until now Harz is safe, but this is not guaranteed.

My personal favourite place in Harz is Stolberg/Harz, which is a small city, consisting mostly of medieval buildings with a beautiful Schloss on hilltop. The town is situated between forested mountains and is surrounded by many wonderful hiking trails and view points. There is also a nice spa and sauna centre with swimming-pool, open round the year. I am playing with the idea to retire there. After the beautiful Christmas time in Germany, I would fly to South-East Asia until april with my wife and then return to Harz to enjoy the spring and birdsong. Maybe one day I will make this happen.

1 hour ago, chicowoodduck said:

There is never a good time to visit the PI, unless you like the rough side of life and guns! ????

yeah because guns is rare in thailand right?, thailand has many shootings and mass shootings (mass shooting is when 4 or more people is shot)

14 hours ago, SammyT said:

The only reason a retiree would be paying more now than they did 10 years ago would be if they want to live like a rich western person.

Eating Thai is still the same price and accommodation is available for less than 5,000 a month.

However, yes, some seem to think Thailand owes them something, when in fact it owes them nothing.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Never been to Adelaide then? Pie floater is the national dish there.

I've been to Adelaide a few times, must have missed it on menus. I thought fish was something Adelaide restaurants did well. Have never seen it on a Melbourne or Sydney menu, so it's not national.

They don't ask you to pay 800,000. Get the best rate you can and treat it as a low yield investment. At the end of the day is still there to withdraw if you up sticks and move on. If you can't afford 800,000 is probably you they're after.

Yes no problem just leave 800,000 baht in your bank account 3 months before extending retirement visa and then 3 months after great system??? Not

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, SammyT said:

Geez... you a bleeding heart for the Thais?

You forget how much the baht is worth now?

Get your prerogatives straight and think before you write.

Archived