Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

Trouble is there are so many subsets of farangs that come to Thailand, it's impossible to generalize.

From, the tank top barfly sexpat, to

Digital Nomad

Ageing retired

Married

Bangkok

Pattaya, Phuket (I'll lump those together)

Isaan

The list goes on and on

And the problem is all of those have different agendas, and very different issues, and costs, and residency pressures

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only reason a retiree would be paying more now than they did 10 years ago would be if they want to live like a rich western person

Actually that's not the only reason; the exchange rate would be another reason. Obviously farang retirees have foreign currency they have to convert to live here. The baht 10 years ago was 35.03 to the USD, today it's 31.42. 

$500.00 a year for gym membership is $200.00 more than I paid in the USA and $61.00 for a meal and a glass of wine doesn’t seem like cheap living. Chiangmai must be way more expensive than Bangkok. Or maybe this is hi-so retirement they are talking about.

2 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

$500.00 a year for gym membership is $200.00 more than I paid in the USA and $61.00 for a meal and a glass of wine doesn’t seem like cheap living. Chiangmai must be way more expensive than Bangkok. Or maybe this is hi-so retirement they are talking about.

I have paid $1,200+ per year in Toronto (15 years ago maybe), and I have paid much less than that... the difference related to variety of equipment, additional facilities (i.e. racquetball court at one place), or just plain a lower customer to facilities/machines setup.  One club during prime hours you would end up lining up for lots of stuff, while the more premiere club -- you really never had that issue.  It really depends on what you are looking in facilities and how important it is not to be overcrowded during prime time etc.

18 hours ago, SammyT said:

I'm just here to read the angry comments from the retirees who also can't afford to retire in their own country but feel they have a god-given right to retire cheaply in Thailand and will complain like there's no tomorrow if they have to pay more than they did 10 years ago for something. 

P.s. I've heard the Philippines is nice this time of year... 

Relax and give your Thai apologist nonsense a rest

8 hours ago, Caine said:

What a load of bullshit, the baht is way over valued, and we all know the jealous little turds, are the most racist nation on the planet. They hate the sight of anyone but themselves the place is dying a death and I’m the first to applaud it.

And you are living where exactly? And the reason you are on this forum is?

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

I really do get a bit pi--ed off with all the posts on the lines of if you haven't planned to have enough money for your old age then you are stupid etc and should not be here.

Not everyone is an Einstien and not everyone is a financial wizard.

Lots of setbacks in life can happen to your average Joe in his working life, laid off, wife gets very sick etc etc and it all can eat into cash plans for the future. Fathers pay to help their kids get through Uni' etc and then the kids get a good job, wife and family etc and won't or can't help 'dad' later.

Wife dies first and dad's on his own, takes a break in Thailand feeling lost and a pretty smile cures all ills he has. On that point no-one, other expats, put him straight and he ends up staying here.

His limited income is sufficient for his needs, even legally, until the rules are changed almost overnight and he ends up between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know why people gloat over the hardships of others, in their own mind they probably see themselves as superior. Here's a comment on that point, your sh-t still stinks.

Re: "On that point no-one, other expats, put him straight and he ends up staying here".

My experience is that plenty of guys listen to and discuss their situation endlessly with friends in the bars/cafes etc. They are advised/warned multiple times what to look out for/avoid/run up the red flag. Every day like a forensic examination in an episode of CSI. And then. And then. They do exactly whatever it was they had determined to do in the first place. And eventually it all catches up with them. When something like the current visa regulations trips them up it will be at the end of a process. But at least they have something/someone to blame.

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Re: "On that point no-one, other expats, put him straight and he ends up staying here".

My experience is that plenty of guys listen to and discuss their situation endlessly with friends in the bars/cafes etc. They are advised/warned multiple times what to look out for/avoid/run up the red flag. Every day like a forensic examination in an episode of CSI. And then. And then. They do exactly whatever it was they had determined to do in the first place. And eventually it all catches up with them. When something like the current visa regulations trips them up it will be at the end of a process. But at least they have something/someone to blame.

I can't argue the point that some wouldn't know good advice even it jumped up and bit them on the bum.

????

Sometimes wish I'd listened to the older guys many years ago who told me to stay single. ????????

8 hours ago, Caine said:

What a load of bullshit, the baht is way over valued, and we all know the jealous little turds, are the most racist nation on the planet. They hate the sight of anyone but themselves the place is dying a death and I’m the first to applaud it.

Did you read the OP? It said, "Lured by the rich culture, first-class healthcare, and low cost of living, an increasing number of expats are calling Thailand home,"

Exactly how do you get "the place is dying a death"?

Ten years ago and up to five years ago that could have been the case, that's probably the time they've done

that survey. Today, thanks to the Junta, the quality of life and the cost of living is slowly going down the drain

and it will definitely go further down the drain if the Junta is re.... sorry, elected, they've never been elected in the first place! The Military does not need people votes, they just move in!

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

They are so sick of them.

Low life complainers who will argue with a waitress over the price of a beer.

Note: You are not the "Kings" of this place like you think you once we're.  And there is only one group of people to blame..

Dispicable..

Spot on, the Thais. :coffee1:

Thailand grew up....like all countries have in this region. Things got more expensive.

Your pension/savings/currency didn't...and in some cases went backwards.

If the maths don't work, hopefully there is another place that is more suitable for your financial position, but that too will grow up in time.

Nothings stays the same.

They forgot to mention that its one of the most dangerous places to live.not a day goes by without reading of foreign deaths or losing all their assets to some conniving woman.thailand isn't cheap if you try to live by western standards but is if you can live like a Thai in a dusty village and love rice like myself.

15 hours ago, baruto said:

For EU citizens, it would be financially reasonable to retire in Spain, Portugal, or why not Germany. There are  many small towns in East Germany, where cold rents are about 3€ per m2. For example a lovely area is Harz with beautiful nature, fascinating architecture (Fachwerkhaus), not so many people, clean air. Food in supermarkets is good and cheap, simple wines (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon etc.) are even under 2€ 0,75L. Large 0,5 l beer starts at 25 cents. For winter one can travel to the south and return for the nice European spring. 

Germany, especially Bayern, is quite alright, obviously you have to speak the language (I do) to get the most of it. Does get a bit boring from time to time, but it's very easy to travel around Europe from there. I think a good fit for retirees with enough $.

I will take the west coast of Canada year round weather with a 4-8 week holiday anytime over any of these countries. Way too hot to live comfortable. If you have your housing costs under control in Vancouver or Victoria and don't drive a car(and many people don't in Vancouver) then costs are not that bad. It's the cost of those Canuck hockey games that are outrageous but I watch every game on cable. Hey you can't do that in Thailand. Lol.

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's the question I was asking!  I've never heard of such a thing for Cambodia.... but the Khmer Times article I linked to mentions such a thing....

With all the recent talk of expats in Thailand picking up sticks and moving because of Thai Immigration, you'd think someone here would have mentioned such a thing, if it's real, in all the various Cambodia posts lately.

I believe it does exist but it's in the form of a $300 annual fee to renew your extension.

Problem is does anyone think their Thai wife or gf will want to live in Cambodia whose language neither of us understand. ..no friends or family nearby etc etc

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I believe it does exist but it's in the form of a $300 annual fee to renew your extension.

Problem is does anyone think their Thai wife or gf will want to live in Cambodia whose language neither of us understand. ..no friends or family nearby etc etc

I used to travel in Cambodia allot, you would be surprised at the Thais that live there. I was.

23 hours ago, crazykopite said:

No doubt this report was completed before the Immigration Burea decided to introduce financial penalties in order to obtain the retirement visa .

And fees to make monthly transfers, or now require more dead money in a bank account, etc.  But to me, Thailand still is cheaper and with some benefits and things to do that just are not that easy to come by in the USA.  I mean come on guys, granted one can't live by foot massage alone, but $6 bucks an hour, and $10 bucks an hour for oil massage is tough to beat for the price and quality.  Street food is still cheap and plentiful and the open air dining can be pleasant.

39 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

And fees to make monthly transfers, or now require more dead money in a bank account, etc.  But to me, Thailand still is cheaper and with some benefits and things to do that just are not that easy to come by in the USA.  I mean come on guys, granted one can't live by foot massage alone, but $6 bucks an hour, and $10 bucks an hour for oil massage is tough to beat for the price and quality.  Street food is still cheap and plentiful and the open air dining can be pleasant.

Agreed, BUT  only if you have a massive 65k a month pension, ( in the UK I would be classed as a pretty well off pensioner able to do anything and travel anywhere and live great,  so why do Thailand want such a high income,  as I have said before a teacher here in Thailand gets below 30k and has a house car and family.

18 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence, I am curious about

Vietnam, do they have the 90 day rules? I have heard that some things are cheaper

and we would all be Viet millionaires with their currency so low. Do they have the same sugarcane burning air pollution problems?  I only visit Thailand for now 2 months per Winter, but who knows what the future holds.

Geezer

Vietnam is equally as hard as Th to "retire". There is no retirement vusa and yes I understand 90 day reporting is done there too.

Google it...and make sure it's the latest info because as with here, Cambodia and Phil. ..they regularly change the rules on a whim.

58 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I mean come on guys, granted one can't live by foot massage alone, but $6 bucks an hour, and $10 bucks an hour for oil massage is tough to beat for the price and quality.  Street food is still cheap and plentiful and the open air dining can be pleasant.

If that's your thing. I think I had a foot massage last time in 2007, could care less if it was $6000. Thai massage I do maybe every two months so again price matters not. Street food is horrible and unhealthy with MSG and palm oil, yuk. Open air dining can be nice, if you find a spot without Chinese, decent food and no smog. Getting hard these days.

The things that are cheap in Thailand don't really matter to me as I don't really use them. Instead I live in a paid up house, eat high quality imported food, kids in international school, etc. Countdown to getting out at about 2y now, can expedite to 1 day if shit hits the fan. Thailand had it's day.

If a teacher lives very nicely on his 28k or so a month with a nice house and car and family  why can we not reside/retire here with the same money  ??   I would suggest each ex pay wishing to do has to deposit 500k in a Thai bank. NO withdrawal until he returns to his native country.  make a 90 day report to prove his 500k is intact.

Archived