Thailand is still among the most affordable destinations for expat retirees

webfact

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

They forgot to mention that its one of the most dangerous places to live.not a day goes by without reading of foreign deaths or losing all their assets to some conniving woman.thailand isn't cheap if you try to live by western standards but is if you can live like a Thai in a dusty village and love rice like myself.

Don't agree. The bad news gets the publicity. There are thousands of farangs living here quite happily with their wives and girlfriends. It's not rocket science, all you have to do is live sensibly and keep the majority of your assets back in your home country.

It's the boozers, druggies, and guys who think with their dicks, that make the headlines here.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, webfact said:

“The country’s second-largest city, Chiang Mai, is well known as being one of the top places for retirees and digital nomads to settle—a place to upgrade their lifestyle. 

“The chance to live an opulent, resort lifestyle is at your fingertips,” says Rachel Devlin, IL’s Chiang Mai correspondent.

imageproxy_php.jpg.9dd7ec31e6fa8963be8b5cee6109f97a.jpg

6 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Does Immigration think that a teacher on 28k a month is a LOW LIFE  ???  as they are asking ex pats for 65k a month.     Ridiculous.

They are paying income taxes and help thai education. 

There's only around 20 countries that even have a retirement visa sheme, thailand is one of the easier ones to get... The alternatives aren't plenty even if you guys think they are. 

31 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Vietnam is equally as hard as Th to "retire". There is no retirement vusa and yes I understand 90 day reporting is done there too.

Google it...and make sure it's the latest info because as with here, Cambodia and Phil. ..they regularly change the rules on a whim.

False, according to current thread. OP is and has been living there:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083782-its-painful-to-watch-visa-related/?do=findComment&comment=13840777

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

They are paying income taxes and help thai education. 

There's only around 20 countries that even have a retirement visa sheme, thailand is one of the easier ones to get... The alternatives aren't plenty even if you guys think they are. 

Are you Joking ??   for 14 years I have shopped local,  all goods vat,  True on line vat, True vision vat, Tesco shopping vat, petrol vat,  I have bought 5 new cars over the 14 years,  Big tax paid  electric and water bills  vat....        I have helped for free at schools,    also Thai airways flights tax,    Air Asia tax.      do you want to say anymore about my post not being valid to the point I made. OR are you a planted new be on here just to argue the point to make up the numbers. I was not knocking where I live loving it here only making a comparison to a good wage a Thai lives on.

Immigration officer starting from 24k a month in Thailand,   a few years 30k a month,  then up to the top brass 55k a month.   is this telling us something  ??  when they expect ex pats to have 65k a month to live on and to be directed to a Thai bank from it's source  ??     this contradicts their new thinking, are they then low life that cannot afford to live in their own country ??  Just saying as we have so many posters telling decent ex pats to clear off.

7 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Immigration officer starting from 24k a month in Thailand,   a few years 30k a month,  then up to the top brass 55k a month.   is this telling us something  ??  when they expect ex pats to have 65k a month to live on and to be directed to a Thai bank from it's source  ??     this contradicts their new thinking, are they then low life that cannot afford to live in their own country ??  Just saying as we have so many posters telling decent ex pats to clear off.

Opening the country up to unrestricted immigration for anyone that can afford to live a Thai lifestyle -- would effectively remove Thai borders to any westerner period.  They have certain visas, with certain policy goals for each visa.  A work permit is to fill a position that there is a lack of qualified workers locally, comparing a teacher (prior post) to someone who is retired is just different policy goals.  Personally, I don't think it is in Thailand's best interest to just allow anyone in that wants to stay here -- as such they set certain policy goals.  You either qualify or you don't.  Not saying that the individual is good or bad (with the exception of those that commit fraud or other crimes), just that they may not be qualified as per Thailands goals.  If I were in charge (thank god I am not ???? ), I would orient it to a more market oriented process - similar to Singapores right to put a car on the road.  If you want to retire, you would have a pool of "rights" that get freed up by people leaving or dying (or altering the total) and you would have to buy one at current market rate.

11 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Opening the country up to unrestricted immigration for anyone that can afford to live a Thai lifestyle -- would effectively remove Thai borders to any westerner period.  They have certain visas, with certain policy goals for each visa.  A work permit is to fill a position that there is a lack of qualified workers locally, comparing a teacher (prior post) to someone who is retired is just different policy goals.  Personally, I don't think it is in Thailand's best interest to just allow anyone in that wants to stay here -- as such they set certain policy goals.  You either qualify or you don't.  Not saying that the individual is good or bad (with the exception of those that commit fraud or other crimes), just that they may not be qualified as per Thailands goals.  If I were in charge (thank god I am not ???? ), I would orient it to a more market oriented process - similar to Singapores right to put a car on the road.  If you want to retire, you would have a pool of "rights" that get freed up by people leaving or dying (or altering the total) and you would have to buy one at current market rate.

Your post I agree with.  It is the version of POLICY GOALS.  As now in the case of EU open borders any virtually can come in WITHOUT money and get benefits, even housing.....Does the UK have these policy goals ???   Not to my knowledge only if you apply, otherwise just walk or ROW in and you live.    As in my other posts I suggested a permanent bond till you leave of 500k in a Thai bank and an income of not less than 27k.....it is the goals that are in place that actually show most are not wanted,  maybe a Chinese on tour once a year is classed as an asset.

17 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Your post I agree with.  It is the version of POLICY GOALS.  As now in the case of EU open borders any virtually can come in WITHOUT money and get benefits, even housing.....Does the UK have these policy goals ???   Not to my knowledge only if you apply, otherwise just walk or ROW in and you live.    As in my other posts I suggested a permanent bond till you leave of 500k in a Thai bank and an income of not less than 27k.....it is the goals that are in place that actually show most are not wanted,  maybe a Chinese on tour once a year is classed as an asset.

That's exactly what you can do right now?? 

It's the combo method for retirement visas. Put 500 000 in a bank account and wire yourself 27 000 baht each month. That is 824 000 thb per year. You can use the 27k each month for expenses and don't touch the 500k baht. 

That's no different then it is right now?? 

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's exactly what you can do right now?? 

It's the combo method for retirement visas. Put 500 000 in a bank account and wire yourself 27 000 baht each month. That is 824 000 thb per year. You can use the 27k each monthbfor expenses and don't touch the 500k baht. 

That's no different then it is right now?? 

Your answer is not the same as my suggestion,    we have had a thousand answers on the same subject, yours sounds like it is different.  Immigration wants the pension source  direct from the pension department, here I object to that, after all it is a government to my bank NOT a government tied into a Thai bank. the simple thing is to take the bank statement s in to immigration to prove you are living from them.. UP TO US how we take it out, either transfer, or atm 250 bht fee----the 500k should be a bond proven every 90 days with a bank letter.   Please read my suggestion for feedback not give me details that has been posted 1,000 times.   Just saying.....My suggestion will never be looked at because there is a hidden agenda somewhere.

What if we all did as you suggest and the rules change again after the elections ??   sorry  you do not see it but it is too much hassle, and the rif raf as the Immigration see us is way out of order when TAT want foreigners here, not drive them out because of a person picking a figure out of thin air and making a new rule....

It is hilarious what people use as justification on how expensive it is here.

Beer.  Yes the price of beer in a bar.

How many posts...it is getting so expensive here I paid 80 b for a beer.

So childish.

This country is still very very inexpensive comparing.

Especially since it is not 3rd world.

Housing and rents still very in expensive in popular cities here.

Food, time with a lady, etc very low comparing.

Maybe stop hating and realize the truth..

10 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Your answer is not the same as my suggestion,    we have had a thousand answers on the same subject, yours sounds like it is different.  Immigration wants the pension source  direct from the pension department, here I object to that, after all it is a government to my bank NOT a government tied into a Thai bank. the simple thing is to take the bank statement s in to immigration to prove you are living from them.. UP TO US how we take it out, either transfer, or atm 250 bht fee----the 500k should be a bond proven every 90 days with a bank letter.   Please read my suggestion for feedback not give me details that has been posted 1,000 times.   Just saying.....My suggestion will never be looked at because there is a hidden agenda somewhere.

What if we all did as you suggest and the rules change again after the elections ??   sorry  you do not see it but it is too much hassle, and the rif raf as the Immigration see us is way out of order when TAT want foreigners here, not drive them out because of a person picking a figure out of thin air and making a new rule....

I don't know where you see a difference.

You want a bond of 500k and 27k thb monthly income from outside of thailand.

That's exactly possible right now - the only thing they want is that you transfer it from outside of thailand into thailand in a way they can proof that it really happened and you aren't working here - so they want a bank wire. They don't care if its pension, if its from stocks, if its from your offshore business or if a relative sends it to you. They dont care if its 10k thb one month and 40k thb the next month as long as the average amount * 12 + bond totals at a minimum of 800k THB.

If you are nitpicking on that you can't use an ATM to withdraw these 27k THB and you have to make a wire transfer instead, well then it's hard to help you, really. Seems like a self caused issue....

Thailand is a great place to visit and have fun in. 

That is about it if a westerner. 

ThaiVisa is populated with guys that have lived here and think it is the greatest place to retire in the world... And defend it to the end..

Nobody I know of that has a few bucks would think seriously about Thailand as a retirement destination... 

1 minute ago, garyk said:

ThaiVisa is populated with guys that have lived here and think it is the greatest place to retire in the world... And defend it to the end..

Nobody I know of that has a few bucks would think seriously about Thailand as a retirement destination... 

Really...?  ????

7 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I don't know where you see a difference.

You want a bond of 500k and 27k thb monthly income from outside of thailand.

That's exactly possible right now - the only thing they want is that you transfer it from outside of thailand into thailand in a way they can proof that it really happened and you aren't working here - so they want a bank wire. They don't care if its pension, if its from stocks, if its from your offshore business or if a relative sends it to you. They dont care if its 10k thb one month and 40k thb the next month as long as the average amount * 12 + bond totals at a minimum of 800k THB.

If you are nitpicking on that you can't use an ATM to withdraw these 27k THB and you have to make a wire transfer instead, well then it's hard to help you, really. Seems like a self caused issue....

Please read again where immigration want the transfers from,  my knowledge from 100 different answers they want it from source, that is the pensions department in my case,   not a transfer from my bank in the UK.  The other point being was just a answer to my suggestion in the first place for a realistic simple remedy..   500k BOND and hard copies from a UK bank posted to my Thailand address as proof of income and of address two in one.    I did not want to get involved about my or other persons personal details but so many on here love to do that.  MINE was a suggestion until you gave it a twist....bye

Just now, ginjag said:

Please read again where immigration want the transfers from,  my knowledge from 100 different answers they want it from source, that is the pensions department in my case,   not a transfer from my bank in the UK.  The other point being was just a answer to my suggestion in the first place for a realistic simple remedy..   500k BOND and hard copies from a UK bank posted to my Thailand address as proof of income and of address two in one.    I did not want to get involved about my or other persons personal details but so many on here love to do that.  MINE was a suggestion until you gave it a twist....bye

No this is wrong. They accept all forms of income as long as its wired from outside of the country - they don't give a damn if its from pension or not. Most people have private pensions anyway...

hard copies from a UK bank posted to my Thailand address as proof of income and of address two in one. 

They accept income letters still from all embassies, german embassy and most others still do that. It was just your british (and american, australian, danish) embassies that stopped this service. They never accepted only a bank book, they simply cant check it and its trivial to fake.

A lot of your hate against thai immigration should be directed against the british embassy or the people who faked their pension letters instead, i guess.

I didn't gave your suggestion any twist. Your are just nitpicking for no reason and making your stay here more troublesome than it would have to be.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No this is wrong. They accept all forms of income as long as its wired from outside of the country - they don't give a damn if its from pension or not. Most people have private pensions anyway...

They accept income letters still from all embassies, german embassy and most others still do that. It was just your british (and american, australian, danish) embassies that stopped this service. They never accepted only a bank book, they simply cant check it and its trivial to fake.

A lot of your hate against thai immigration should be directed against the british embassy or the people who faked their pension letters instead, i guess.

I didn't gave your suggestion any twist. Your are just nitpicking for no reason and making your stay here more troublesome than it would have to be.

Go away, what you are telling me is history, my stay here or my personal details are not included only suggestions, YOU have taken it on board these are my personal details, even going on to say I am making my stay here more troublesome  ha ha ha......

Second paragraph History, are you trying to look studious ??    Nit picking....ok.... german is German,  thai is Thai,  british is British, australian is Australian.....   

Third main point, quote MY HATE for Thai immigration,  stop please you are getting silly.

Just now, DrTuner said:

I know right, the modern architecture up north is a shining example of 1st word prowess.

What-I-learnt-living-in-Isaan.jpg

This is a typical rural Thai farm house on the outskirts of any town in a small village.  Usually the home of a Thai small farmer.  normally he owns it.   3rd world or not,  compare a unemployed UK person or a low paid worker living in a council house, never to own,  which is best ???  all the Thai person has to do is get a better shower room, so cheap and easy, and bingo, who needs bars and bar girls, posh hotels, eating out, beer and whiskey, up early bed early, TV and internet most Thai have.  Third world because he doesn't have a brick wall.  I live in a 3 bed bungalow,  but can and have lived in these houses at earlier times,  lovely

4 minutes ago, ginjag said:

This is a typical rural Thai farm house on the outskirts of any town in a small village.  Usually the home of a Thai small farmer.  normally he owns it.   3rd world or not,  compare a unemployed UK person or a low paid worker living in a council house, never to own,  which is best ???  all the Thai person has to do is get a better shower room, so cheap and easy, and bingo, who needs bars and bar girls, posh hotels, eating out, beer and whiskey, up early bed early, TV and internet most Thai have.  Third world because he doesn't have a brick wall.  I live in a 3 bed bungalow,  but can and have lived in these houses at earlier times,  lovely

Yes, and that's the "Thailand is so affordable" prototype. Live in that and it's cheap cheap, put a hammock in the front and hey instant somchai sabai sabai. 

Upgrade to modern city living and the wallet starts screaming bloody murder.

45 minutes ago, garyk said:

No offense but you/DrTurner are among the last people I would want to know in Thailand.  Talking with you for 5 minutes and I'd run away.  And I don't even run that well anymore. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

No offense but you/DrTurner are among the last people I would want to know in Thailand.  Talking with you for 5 minutes and I'd run away.  And I don't even run that well anymore. 

I'd like to see you run, where are you?

Yesterday a gallon of fresh picked strawberries for 50 baht.  Cleaned and took the stems off, a bit of sugar and in the freezer.  Desert tonight and breakfast tomorrow.  6 large Fresh spring rolls and 10 jumbo prawns for dinner 90 baht.  I really should have taken photos I was at the market buying some dog collars for the work guard dogs.  New contract with Samsung and they want our dogs to have collars.  Who knows why those Koreans do stuff. 

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, and that's the "Thailand is so affordable" prototype. Live in that and it's cheap cheap, put a hammock in the front and hey instant somchai sabai sabai. 

I live in a modern 3 floor townhouse in a gated community about an 18 minute walk from a Skytrain station.  I pay about 14,000 baht (up from initially 12,000 baht when the station opened).   First world accommodations at a fraction of the price of what I would pay back home (which has gone up considerably in the last 10 years).  I could get a reasonably nice (if small condo) for 7,000 baht/month. 

You may scoff at that farmers house, but in the countryside that is all you really need.  A small amount of work would make it look just fine.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

But you are implying that many live this style, near zero.  So there is other types of homes one can choose not this or a hotel or a bought condo.  so you upgrade to a town , not a city,  suggest a 2 bed bungalow all mod cons for 5k a month, I wonder what % of ex pats live in cities near bars and bar girls/boys ???  maybe majority have partners out of BKK and Pattaya,  could be anywhere happily.   so then the wallet is NOT screaming blue murder.      Because a guy does not want wine whiskey, bars, night life, eating out does not make him into a cyclops without a life.  Some posters ought to wrap up with this attitude.     Just saying, everyone has a different outlook.

5 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You may scoff at that farmers house, but in the countryside that is all you really need.  A small amount of work would make it look just fine.

Each to their standards. Just pointing out that the accommodations for the retired in Isaan for cheap - crowd are in the middle of these huts. I know because my late German father-in-law built a house in Isaan and I've spent about half a year in there. Two weeks at a time is the max or my brain will explode from the monotony of it all. But then again I'm not a 70y old waiting to die any day, then it might be pleasant.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Each to their standards. Just pointing out that the accommodations for the retired in Isaan for cheap - crowd are in the middle of these huts. I know because my late German father-in-law built a house in Isaan and I've spent about half a year in there. Two weeks at a time is the max or my brain will explode from the monotony of it all. But then again I'm not a 70y old waiting to die any day, then it might be pleasant.

Yes, to each their standards.  I find going out nightly to bars pretty mindless and boring.  It is fine once in a while, but to be quite honest I find a lot of enjoyment in my hobbies (Computer Software, Physics, and Math) a bit more interesting... and I have enough friends outside of the bars that I don't need to sit on a barstool counting down the days.

3 minutes ago, ginjag said:

So there is other types of homes one can choose not this or a hotel or a bought condo.  so you upgrade to a town , not a city,  suggest a 2 bed bungalow all mod cons for 5k a month, I wonder what % of ex pats live in cities near bars and bar girls/boys ???  maybe majority have partners out of BKK and Pattaya,  could be anywhere happily.   so then the wallet is NOT screaming blue murder.      Because a guy does not want wine whiskey, bars, night life, eating out does not make him into a cyclops without a life.  Some posters ought to wrap up with this attitude.     Just saying, everyone has a different outlook.

Ok that option, so a scooter shop, gold shop, mom&pop shop and a gas station on the main road type of town? I think I'd hang myself after two days. But sure if it fits you.

Archived