Air in northern Thai provinces is dangerous to breathe

webfact

Air in nation’s North is dangerous to breathe

By The Nation

a8bc21e37ee50459b95fd45a606cdbe1.jpeg

Residents in many northern provinces were on Tuesday breathing air containing more than double the country’s official safe limit of PM2.5, particulates of 2.5 micrograms or smaller per cubic metre, according to the daily update from the Pollution Control Department’s website. (air4thai.pcd.go.th)

cc0f524491e6608bc443ddf4a981240c.jpeg

Sky over the area at the foot of Doi Suthep turned brown due to a toxic haze on Tuesday morning, a striking change from the same area’s blue sky on February 5. The photos were taken from the30th Anniversary Building at Chiang Mai University’s Engineering Faculty. // Photo courtesy of Climate Change Data Centre’s Facebook page

Lampang’s four monitoring stations on Tuesday morning cited Air Quality Index (AQI) levels beyond 100 microns per cubic metre, double Thailand’s safe limit and four times the World Health Organisation’s 25-microgram safety boundary.

Lampang responded to the recent jump in toxicity by closing its Doi Phra Baht forest, currently ravaged by multiple spots of fire, from Tuesday until April. They will set up checkpoints to deny unauthorized access by outsiders who are not involved in fighting the forest fires, according to the resolution of a Lampang meeting of related agencies on Monday afternoon. 

The PCD’s method of basing their numbers on averaging the 24-hour levels, resulted in their reporting lower levels of pollution when compared to the real-time basis reports from other sources, such as the Chiang Mai University mobile “Dust Boy” devices and the Chiang Mai Air Quality Health Index (CMAQHI) Centre.

3773bd03de6551680a3517aa850c38d1.jpeg

According to PCD, the amount of PM2.5 dust in the North as of 9am was between 28 and 141 micrograms, peaking at 141 micrograms in Phrae’s Muang along with an AQI level of 251. Lampang’s Muang district station cited 106 micrograms of PM2.5 and an AQI of 216, while three stations in Mae Mo district cited 116 micrograms (with an AQI level of 216), 136 micrograms (with an AQI level of 246), and 113 micrograms (with an AQI level of 223), the PCD said. Chiang Mai’s Muang district station cited 77 micrograms of PM2.5 and an AQI level of 168.

The PCD cited PM2.5 in other northern provinces as follows: Tak’s Mae Sot district at 51 micrograms (with an AQI level of 101); Nan’s Muang and Chalerm Phrakiat districts at 64 micrograms (with an AQI level of 134) and 51 micrograms (with an AQI level of 101); Phayao’s Muang district at 54 micrograms (with an AQI level of 109); Lamphun’s Muang district at 71 micrograms (with an AQI level of 152) and Mae Hong Son’s Muang district at 51 micrograms (with an AQI level of 101).

In Chiang Mai, where the sky turned brownish due to haze, the CMAQHI Centre cited Mae Rim and Doi Lo districts as having the province’s PM2.5 peak at 151 and 106 micrograms and with AQI levels at 201 and 177 respectively. Hang Dong district had 99 micrograms of PM2.5 and an AQI level of 173, while Muang district had 73 micrograms and an AQI level of 160, the centre reported.

Chiang Mai provincial authority announced imposition of a 60-day outdoor-burning ban from March 1 to April 30. People giving useful information leading to a culprit’s arrest will get a cash reward of Bt5,000. 

In the wake of the haze, the public health authority warned people to wear a facemask during outdoor activities. They also advised members of “vulnerable” groups such as small children, senior citizens, pregnant women and those with chronic ailments to avoid being outdoors. A facemask of N95 standard is needed to filter the tiny PM2.5 particulates.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363974

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-12

It surely can't be that hard to track down the offenders, I'll even offer a clue - send inspectors to rural areas and look for fields which have fires in them. The columns of smoke going into the guy will be a good indicator that someone has a fire. The smoking gun will be the presence of orange hot stuff on the ground. 

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

a 60-day outdoor-burning ban from March 1 to April 30

Are they serious? The ban is needed NOW

Agreed, it would seem everyone is just burning their stuff early. Yesterday was such a nice clear day as well...

Today is the worst I've seen in mid-February in 15 years living here (now just north of Chiang Mai city). I'm used to seeing that crap hanging in the air, visually evident right in front of my eyes with objects just 200 meters away slightly obscured/hazy and tasting it in my mouth. But that's usually mid/late-March, not Feb-12. Guess the March/April "burn ban" has them lighting up early. Worst time of the year until rainy season. 

4 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Also reading an article that the North has an extra high level of radon which spikes in the hot season during the haze.

That's true for the Saraphi district of CM, although I don't know what would cause the level to spike.

Most of the bureaucrats who are supposed to do something about it can just make a few lame statements of intent or sit in an air-conditioned meeting room issuing false promises, then go back to their air-conditioned mansions or get on a private jet to the Maldives. Zero net result, zero accountability. Ask 100 expats what they dislike most about life in the north and 90+ will say - THIS. Shitty air Feb-May. And starting soon, high temps (38-40c+) 

Yesterday I was way up in the Mountains of Lampang, and the smoke was just starting to come in. I could see it on the horizon and many of the places I drove past showed the signs of fires starting and finishing. When I got up, this morning in Chiang Mai and went to Hang Dong to get my brother-in-law who fell ill from the pollution, I could not believe in how that in 24 hours, this place has become such a toxic trap. However these fires start, and where/who are starting them; it seems like it is a joint venture from everyone to just slash and burn all at the same time. I thought this year may not be too bad, but today I have shut up the house, put the air filters on and the air con. Let's hope this blows over quickly.

I'm in central Thailand, not the north, but riding my bicycle in the wee hours of the morning, have discovered that a lot of burning goes on at night. Orange glows all over the place. Makes me wonder if this were banned, how would it be policed.

7 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

and enforcing the ban would be even more important

I saw yesterday acres of land that had just been burnt. It seemed to me, anything that was brown and next to a rice/corn crop was just burnt. All around the Nut trees, there were just acres burnt. The locals just don't care. Wait till the mountains around Lumphun lite up in the next couple of weeks so the locals can go up into the mountains to collect the mushrooms that spurt growth after the fires. That is a cash crop for the poor and a local delicacy but is killing us all slowly from the output.

It will never stop but it was never this bad when I first came here 10 years ago, so something has changed. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The PCD’s method of basing their numbers on averaging the 24-hour levels, resulted in their reporting lower levels of pollution when compared to the real-time basis reports from other sources, such as the Chiang Mai University mobile “Dust Boy” devices and the Chiang Mai Air Quality Health Index (CMAQHI) Centre.

THANK YOU The Nation, for finally reporting a detail about the way air pollution levels are reported by the government here that helps explain why when the air suddenly gets bad or worse, the government readings are slow to reflect it.

Hey, it only took you guys about 100 air pollution articles this year to finally explain the obvious to your readers.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong per se with 24-hour average reporting values, since those are often used for regulatory compliance purposes. But if you want to know how good or bad the air outside is right NOW, you don't want to be relying on a rolling 24-hour average that includes a lot of time from yesterday.

Rather, you want real-time or near real-time data that's available from other sources.

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Why wait until March 1?

Good question, but unfortunately it makes some sense.

The fact is that they can't put a complete ban for 5 months, which is what would be needed (assuming that they can enforce it, that's another issue). Farmers and big crop companies would be up in arms.

So, if you choose two months, which ones? Knowing that the moment you lift ban, everybody will be burning the accumulated crops of 2 months and make you choke to death within a few days, then better have this on May 1 when there is some probability of rain, than on say April 1 when it's still mostly dry.

Every year same story, and no solution in sight. Go away if you can (and add some pollution of your own when you fly or drive).

As far I know for Chiang Mai specifically the burning in Myanmar contributes a lot to it. This complicates everything much more than it already is.

Have to say it is not too bad in Sansai and Doi saket but you do not want to be living in the city or in hang dong / close to the mountains.

16 minutes ago, tabarin said:

As far I know for Chiang Mai specifically the burning in Myanmar contributes a lot to it. This complicates everything much more than it already is.

Have to say it is not too bad in Sansai and Doi saket but you do not want to be living in the city or in hang dong / close to the mountains.

You must have put your rose tinted contact lenses in if you think Sansai & Doi Daket aren't too bad!

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Agreed, it would seem everyone is just burning their stuff early. Yesterday was such a nice clear day as well...

I noticed the last couple of days that the air here in the north-east has been clear for a change, compared to the thick smoke, everyone burning in the evening.

I also noticed that the speaker system in the village is working twice a day now, i.e. 6am and 12pm, must be telling people not to burn ?

Hope this is the case, and I hope it is not a band aid solution, enforcement needs to be ramped up with fines and or jail for some offenders who don't give a rats a$$, once that is done word of mouth will spread and people will think twice.

They could even advertise "dial a burner in" totally anonymous as soon as someone lights up, that would make me a very happy farang.

34 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Update the worst air quality I have seen in the ten years I have been here its rancid in Hang Dong like smoking without the fags????

The worst air quality I have seen in CM was about 3 years ago. I couldn't even see a neighbouring hotel from my condo, no more than 500 metres away. The current crisis seems to be arising from people trying to beat the March 1 ban.

Education that ploughing in rice stubble and corn waste, instead of burning it, is needed. IMHO the Thai elite has no interest in educating rural Thais - too dangerous for their current privileged position.

3 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Yesterday I was way up in the Mountains of Lampang, and the smoke was just starting to come in. I could see it on the horizon and many of the places I drove past showed the signs of fires starting and finishing. When I got up, this morning in Chiang Mai and went to Hang Dong to get my brother-in-law who fell ill from the pollution, I could not believe in how that in 24 hours, this place has become such a toxic trap. However these fires start, and where/who are starting them; it seems like it is a joint venture from everyone to just slash and burn all at the same time. I thought this year may not be too bad, but today I have shut up the house, put the air filters on and the air con. Let's hope this blows over quickly.

Only after booking my short holiday in CM did I realise that it might coincide with these sort of conditions.

I'm in the vulnerable category and could have ended up like your BIL.

Happily I left on the 7th.

Very impressed by the oneprice, 20baht, aircon bus system.

Must be good for airport arrivals.

I travelled by train, a lovely journey through the valleys.

Archived