Best And Cheapest Tefl Course

Bowery99

Hi, I have been looking into TEFL courses and I was wondering what you folks here would think would be the best (recognized by Thai authorities, as well as other countries) and cheapest (without staying in it for 3 months and having to take a job that they find you) one available? So far, it seems to be World Wide TEFL Certificate course for 23,000 Baht ($699) but the dates seem very short (March 26,2007 - March 30,2007) for 120-hour course. I will call and get additional info but everything I looked at so far, seems to be a longer duration and has longer teaching in class training periods involved. Since I am in Bangkok now, I would like to get this and be done with it ASAP and for as cheap as possible. I already have 4 years of teaching experience (non-certified, 3 years of teaching art and 1 year of teaching English in Korea) so I am certain that it should not be too much trouble (although I am not familiar with English curriculums) to learn to teach "correctly".

Thanks in advance for your input.

Just like to remind folks that according to our subforum guidelines:

7. You may discuss and ask questions about TEFL courses and course providers, but TEFL course comparison threads are considered flamebait and will be closely watched and probably closed.

I suggest that people go heavy on description (of a course you know) and light on comparison. I doubt that anyone's taken more than one, anyway.

"Steven"

Just like to remind folks that according to our subforum guidelines:
7. You may discuss and ask questions about TEFL courses and course providers, but TEFL course comparison threads are considered flamebait and will be closely watched and probably closed.

I suggest that people go heavy on description (of a course you know) and light on comparison. I doubt that anyone's taken more than one, anyway.

"Steven"

Yes, I thought about people comparing them (not really what I was asking for) and your right, I would guess most would have only taken one. I really just want a good and quick course that I can afford and that Thai immigration and schools will approve of. I am just asking if there are other deals like this (or better)?

P.S. Steven I finally read the guildlines :o

Thanks

Hello 99,

You want a course that has 120 hours of study and 6 hours of OBSERVED classroom experience. This type of course isn't cheap but I believe that is the international standard.

On-line courses and courses with no teaching practice aren't recognized internationally.

In addition, you should do some self study and read a few books on language teaching methods and try and find a combination of these things that you like and want to work with.

That's the best advice I can give you.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said

I don't know about it being the cheapest but SEE (see advert at top of teaching section) cost USD 806 for a 120 hour 4 week course.

I thoroughly recommend them. They are located in Chiang Mai and the trainers are excellent as is the course content. The 6 x 1hr observed teaching practices are very varied to covering ages 3 upto University age.

Give them a go you won't regret it. Having just done a TEFL course I honestly don't think an online course would suffice.

Cheers

ps If you do speak to John tell him I recommended you!!!

CHOK DEE

I don't know about it being the cheapest but SEE (see advert at top of teaching section) cost USD 806 for a 120 hour 4 week course.

Asia friend finder do TEFL courses.?

Nice one!

No Markg, he's referring to the ad that almost always appears at the top of the Teaching in Thailand forum! SEE course, in Chiang Mai! :o

Asia friend finder do TEFL courses.?

Nice one!

No Markg, he's referring to the ad that almost always appears at the top of the Teaching in Thailand forum! SEE course, in Chiang Mai! :o

Yes that's the one - look on the link at the top or go to:

http://www.SiamEducationalExperience.org

It's a very professionally run course with just 8 students each time. John's very helpful - drop him an email.

I recommend you avoid the TESOL course at AUA

It was expensive, very theoretical and did not prepare me well at all

for classroom management of 6th to 12th graders.

I have been teaching now for 2 years and I would have been

better off paying some good teachers to train me, talk to me

about their skills and problems and observing many hours

of classes. This would have been less expensive and more effective than

the course I took.

I have heard good things about Text and Talk.

JMHO