Yearly Extension based on Retirement from Udonthani dated 28.01.2019

On the 28.01.2019 I received my yearly Visa Extension based on Retirement with expiry date 26.02.2020 using the minimum 800000 THB in my Bangkok Bank account for the previous 3 months without any problems at all from Udonthani Immigration Office which has been the case for all previous extensions and they have always been very helpful.

After receiving this I then booked a holiday in the UK, bought Health Insurance for my Thai wife and myself and let the amount drop to approx 470000 THB which I normally do.

To my great shock after reading on Thai Visa I read about the new requirements from Visa Extensions based on Retirement starting 01.03.2019 stating that the money in the bank must not drop below 800000 for the first 3 months after being granted permission; myself and my wife then went back to Udonthani Immigration for clarification as to whether the new rules apply to extensions issued before 01.03.2019. We spoke to the Boss at Udonthani Immigration Office about this however at the time he was unable to provide any clarification at all regarding the new Rules.

Based on what has now happened I will now not let my money in the bank drop below 400000 and will get it above 800000 as soon as possible and never let it drop below this value in the future.

I sincerely hope I do not have to do a Visa Extension based on Marriage next year as I have done several times before due to the hassle and long waiting time.

Has anybody had any similar experiences to my myself at Udonthani Immigration Office or other Immigration Offices.

Good luck to all future Applicants for Visa Extensions.

Edited by vibration
  • Like 1

On the 28.01.2019 I received my yearly Visa Extension based on Retirement with expiry date 26.02.2020 using the minimum 800000 THB in my Bangkok Bank account for the previous 3 months without any problems at all from Udonthani Immigration Office which has been the case for all previous extensions and they have always been very helpful.

After receiving this I then booked a holiday in the UK, bought Health Insurance for my Thai wife and myself and let the amount drop to approx 470000 THB which I normally do.

To my great shock after reading on Thai Visa I read about the new requirements from Visa Extensions based on Retirement starting 01.03.2019 stating that the money in the bank must not drop below 800000 for the first 3 months after being granted permission; myself and my wife then went back to Udonthani Immigration for clarification as to whether the new rules apply to extensions issued before 01.03.2019. We spoke to the Boss at Udonthani Immigration Office about this however at the time he was unable to provide any clarification at all regarding the new Rules.

Based on what has now happened I will now not let my money in the bank drop below 400000 and will get it above 800000 as soon as possible and never let it drop below this value in the future.

I sincerely hope I do not have to do a Visa Extension based on Marriage next year as I have done several times before due to the hassle and long waiting time.

Has anybody had any similar experiences to my myself at Udonthani Immigration Office or other Immigration Offices.

Good luck to all future Applicants for Visa Extensions.

I got mine just before you down in Pattaya,so the new rules had not even come out,i then took out 100k for expenses,as the rules only apply for new yearly visas after march 1st do not see why we cannot just go on as usual until our next ,and 1st extension under the new rules . By the way i intend to go down the marriage route as i have been married over 20 years.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

so, can we presume that the 'new rules' regarding the 800/400k business will only affect retirement extensions that were issued after 01 March? my present extension was issued late December and my first 90 day report will be due in late March...should I worry about the new rules regarding 800/400k when I do my report?

I was also thinking about exiting Thailand before my report date in March and returning 2 weeks later so that my report date would be 90 days from the date of my return...would the new rules only affect me after I renew my extension in December?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Your extension was processed well in advance of the new rules.

Some reports indicate some offices are starting to enforce the new rules early, but providing warning to those applying of this.

As your office said nothing of this, and could not provide any new info when you asked, I do not see why they would expect you to meet the new regulations.

Of course, as has been demonstrated in many reports, they can do anything they feel like - it really doesn't matter what the laws/rules actually say.  There is no "rule of law" enforced down the chain at immigration.

But, as you have the backup of saying, "Ok, then I will apply based on marriage," reports indicate they are much more likely to make a "no can do" retirement-extension suddenly possible.  The marriage extension is more work for them, which they won't want to do.