Trains from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin question

kajito

12 minutes ago, davehowden said:

Sombat Tour bus is your only direct service from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin.

The train service is abysmal, last time I traveled Bangkok to Chiang Mai the train broke down and was 3 hours late arriving.

You did well; our train was 5 and a half hours late !

Change in Bangkok.

http://www.railway.co.th/Home/Index

Click "down" chevron in top right search box for English.

Scroll down opening page for check(route timetable)/online booking

(ignore the fact that it says "bus schedule")

Type origin/destination before clicking check.

Did overnight CM/BK last week.

Don't buy the coffee.......60baht for half a cup of old sump oil.

Thanks everyone for your input and the links. After posting I check online and couldn't find anything available for my specific date so I took a cab to the railway station in CM. The attendant confirmed that the first class night sleeper were all booked up but I was able to get a one-way ticket for early March from Chiang Mai to Bangkok first class on the new train and I also booked a ticket from Bangkok to Hua Hin. I've traveled many times on trains so I don't mind the inconveniences. Anyway, I'm all set thanks again! ????

20 hours ago, davehowden said:

Sombat Tour bus is your only direct service from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin.

The train service is abysmal, last time I traveled Bangkok to Chiang Mai the train broke down and was 3 hours late arriving.

At least you didn't end upside down beside the road, when the bus driver thought it was ok to close his eyes for a second. Roadside trees are also popular objects to hit.

1 hour ago, kajito said:

Thanks everyone for your input and the links. After posting I check online and couldn't find anything available for my specific date so I took a cab to the railway station in CM. The attendant confirmed that the first class night sleeper were all booked up but I was able to get a one-way ticket for early March from Chiang Mai to Bangkok first class on the new train and I also booked a ticket from Bangkok to Hua Hin. I've traveled many times on trains so I don't mind the inconveniences. Anyway, I'm all set thanks again! ????

What was the cost?

Get the sleeper train from Chiangmai 5.00pm that arrives Hualampong 6.15am (or the 6.00pm train is very comfortable, arr 6.50am). Then 8.05am sprinter train to Hua Hin. You can book tickets for both. Trains sometimes delayed in the rainy season but if you miss the 8.05 Hua Hin train, the slower 9.20am train is not bad (very cheap). Trains are great if not in a hurry, overnight buses not known for safety or comfort and don`t always arrive!

You can change at Bang Sue junction instead of going into Hualampong. About 20 minutes north of Hualampong this would be especially useful if you are late arriving in Bangkok as it gives you another 40 minutes (trains to Hua Hun head north to Bang Sue before heading West then south).

18 hours ago, kajito said:

I have done a few train journeys over the years without too much problem and the new rolling stock is very good particularly the first class. You were right to go to the station, train bookings can only be made in the 60 days prior to travel and as there is only one first class carriage per train they book up early, difficult to do a return without going to the station twice.

You can book online but as far as I am aware there is only one option 12go Asia and they charge a couple of hundred for doing it. The one advantage is you can book in advance and at the 60 day point they buy the tickets, their office is at the train station in Bangkok.

I would have suggested going out to the airport and getting the Bell Transport bus to Hua Hin, a bit more comfortable journey. Travelling through Bangkok on the train is a bit like watching paint dry. Another poster has suggested changing at Bang Sue, which is well worth considering.

I toyed with the rather archaic official train website after getting frustrated with the 12goAsia site.

What I discovered was if you are booking last minute, you need to go to the station, all availability is not posted online.

And if you want the best first class, you need to book in advance.

Seat61.com is Gospel for riding trains.

Archived