Is Bohemian Rhapsody really an award-worthy film? Have your say

snoop1130

Is Bohemian Rhapsody really an award-worthy film? Have your say

by Hajra Rahim & Telegraph Readers

TELEMMGLPICT000161716431_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqrXQPXGvM58CJoUBPwmOnPxU--41c5Cba04Sh5SZbNZ8.jpeg

"Rami Malek absolutely breathed the part," says reader Pacelli Trevor of Rami Malek's portrayal of Freddie Mercury in the film Bohemian Rhapsody CREDIT: ALEX BAILEY

The Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody received a less than friendly reception from the majority of critics on its release, but lukewarm reviews have done little to hinder the film's commercial success.

It has so far raked in a hefty $820 million worldwide – nor its reception on the red carpet, picking up numerous awards including Best Picture and Best Actor at the Golden Globes and Best Actor at the Baftas last night for lead actor Rami Malek.

But the debate between critics and audiences rages on.

Among the most common complaints are that the film doesn't sufficiently reflect Freddie Mercury's sexuality, that it fails to cover the suffering he endured at the end of his life – and that it rewrote history by claiming he learnt he had Aids before the band's famous Live Aid performance (in reality, the singer was diagnosed two years later).

Full Story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2019/02/11/bohemian-rhapsody-really-award-worthy-film-have-say/

well why does it need special attention? the 80's were the bomb... they are flooding the scene today in other movies and tv shows because they got stable from the 60's and 70's... i don't really ever remember them being as popular as some of the others, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, Ozzie, Madonna, Duran Duran.. to name a few... so "no" not worthy. But this is our opinions.. everyone has good points on yes or no's. 

Haven't seen it, but wouldn't be surprised. Many unworthy movies won an Oscar for best film. Did these movies deserve it?

Shakespear in Love.
Crash.
Rocky.
Gravity.
The English Patient.
Argo.
LaLa Land.

I'm sure you can add more.
La La Land is fantastic! But it didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

La La Land is fantastic! But it didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture.

You're right. It was nominated, but, didn't win. Didn't rate it myself.

How could Shakespeare in Love win over Saving Private Ryan? One of the reasons that the Oscars have a continually shrinking audience and is fast becoming irrelevant.

You're right. It was nominated, but, didn't win. Didn't rate it myself.
How could Shakespeare in Love win over Saving Private Ryan? One of the reasons that the Oscars have a continually shrinking audience and is fast becoming irrelevant.
And you could add Driving Miss Daisy to the list!!

Great movie and great band in many ways. Freddie was a genius risk taker and the world is a better place because of Queen and Freddie.  How many albums do you hear that are extremely great and unusual?  This album was both and so were albums by Nirvana, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson Thriller, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Aretha Franklin, Johnny Cash .......

I wish movies were historical accurate but they have to make a profit and they put their twist on the facts for a good story. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 6:14 AM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Haven't seen it, but wouldn't be surprised. Many unworthy movies won an Oscar for best film. Did these movies deserve it?

Shakespear in Love.

Crash.

Rocky.

Gravity.

The English Patient.

Argo.

LaLa Land.

I'm sure I can subtract one: Gravity did not win Best Movie Oscar.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Shakespear in Love.

Crash.

Rocky.

Gravity.

The English Patient.

Argo.

LaLa Land.

Out of Africa.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Wake Up said:

Great movie and great band in many ways. Freddie was a genius risk taker and the world is a better place because of Queen and Freddie.  How many albums do you hear that are extremely great and unusual?  This album was both and so were albums by Nirvana, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson Thriller, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Aretha Franklin, Johnny Cash .......

I wish movies were historical accurate but they have to make a profit and they put their twist on the facts for a good story. 

I think you put too much on the importance of music. I doubt Queen changed anything in the real world. After all, it's just entertainment, not a cure for cancer or bringing about world peace.

Even the Beatles would probably be unknown by most young people today.

My opinion: brilliant film worthy of the awards it receives. Believable and memorable. It is a celebration of the music of the group and the lead singer.

In my view it also gives a devastating glimpse into the early days of AIDS/HIV.

Archived