Cabinet approves extra Songkran holiday, making it five-day weekend

snoop1130

Cabinet approves extra Songkran holiday, making it five-day weekend

By The Nation

1e6def2a74220046a24422f983f3ce42.jpeg

File photo

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal to make April 12 an extra holiday for Songkran, making the Songkran weekend a five-day holiday period.

Col Apisit Chainawat, assistant government spokesman, said the extra holiday would be applied for all government officials, allowing them to have five-day holiday from April 12 to 16. 

Normally, Songran holidays last from April 13 to 15 but the extra day is to make up for April 13, which falls on Saturday this year.

Apisit said the Cabinet had decided that state enterprises, banks and private firms were allowed to decide for themselves whether to allow their employees to have extra holiday on April 12 or not.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363988

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-12

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

because they are hard working people, tired from so much stress.... yeah let's give an extra day

Its Thai New Year you, as it stands the only holidays were the Monday and Tuesday. That barely gives people to get home before they need to come back.

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Apisit said the Cabinet had decided that state enterprises, banks and private firms were allowed to decide for themselves whether to allow their employees to have extra holiday on April 12 or not

Might as well. Many staff will be pulling sickies anyway. 

And now book a domestic flight out of Bangkok on evening of April 11 :whistling:

Or how about a bus ticket?

If both unavailable just go by car :biggrin:

Officially Songkran is 13, 14, 15.

This year being Sat, Sun, Mon.

Tue, April 16 was already planned as a substitute.

But with the oncoming "election" better bring out another present by uncle P.

Stay tuned for more.

28 minutes ago, bannork said:

Few Thais get annual holidays of two weeks in a row from their companies. So long holidays at New Year and Songkran are most welcome.

100% agreed. Whinging people on TVF always comment how Thai have so many holidays blah blah blah. If you actually look at what staff are actually given + public holidays (which of course you cannot choose when to take) then the overall holiday allowance fits fairly comfortably with what most other countries get. Most Thai staff get around 8-10 days annual leave and 14 public holidays chosen by their employers. This is the private office staff; menial workers, informal sector, construction probably get considerably less than this. Personally i like to see Thais get an extra day here or there to go home to see their families.

Yiiiiiipppppieeee...one more day to get wasted and maim some people on the roads!

...and of course, this has nothing to do with the upcoming election and the generous PM handing out goodies, left and right?!

Noooooo!

:coffee1:

10 hours ago, ocddave said:

When do Thai's work? They have what seems like a million holidays.

Makes up for the mandated 6 days they get under labor law. When I lived in the UK over a decade ago, sure there weren't many public holidays, but I got 23 days paid leave! 

No Water in Isaan and they extend Songkran, does a thought go thru there head, my gf lives outside Chakkarat Korat, they don’t even have water for proper shower, she’ s taking the family to my condo in Korat for bathing

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

How it actually works in factories I've been in.

Monday before is the 8th and people start going early, 9th even more and 10th even more etc.

The following week they start to dribble back so by the friday you might have 50/60% back.

Monday you're probably back to 90 something% and missing the ones who died on motorbikes etc and the ones who stayed for the cremations etc or couldn't get a bus back.

So it really lasts 2 weeks anyway.

Archived