Al-Araibi thanked prison officials, fellow detainees for their care and help

snoop1130

Al-Araibi thanked prison officials, fellow detainees for their care and help

By The Nation

132bf2bf641b6f10e86e7c1593d428fe.jpeg

File photo

Much-publicised Bahraini fugitive footballer Hakeem al-Araibi on Monday thanked Thai prison officials and other detainees for their care and help during his two-and-a-half month stay in jail, Corrections Department chief Narat Sawetanun said on Tuesday.

Al-Araibi spoke to Narat prior to his release, after his home country had dropped its request for Thailand to extradite him to face criminal charges in Bahrain.

The withdrawal of the request immediately ended all Thai court procedures in the case, which had sparked an outcry worldwide.

Al-Araibi later boarded a flight on Tuesday and arrived to a triumphant welcome in Australia.

The semi-professional footballer, who fled what he described as torture and assault in his home country, has been living in Australia as a refugee with Australian residency for almost five years.

“I had chance to talk to al-Araibi before he was released. He had a good relationship with other detainees and received visits, as allowed by the rules,” Narat said.

During his time in prison, he was grateful for having had the chance to play sports, the corrections chief said, adding that he also thanked everyone who had taken good care of him.

He had been arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport on November 27 at the request of Bahrain, which wanted him in connection with several alleged offences.

Al-Araibi’s arrest, and subsequent detention during a trial pending extradition, attracted criticism from a number of countries, led by Australia, and sporting organisations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363987

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-12

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Much-publicised Bahraini fugitive footballer Hakeem al-Araibi on Monday thanked Thai prison officials and other detainees for their care and help during his two-and-a-half month stay in jail, Corrections Department chief Narat Sawetanun said on Tuesday.

Did he sign the visitors book as well:

"Had a lovely holiday, the staff made my stay extra-special. Looking forward to returning next year."

Wow! if the correction department chief is to be believed, Hakeem is a much bigger man than me. I was wrongfully arrested for assault on a night out in my younger days. When I was released in the morning and told I was clear, the last thing I did was thank anyone. Had to bite my tongue 'til I was out of listening range. 

I suspect he did not want to say anything that could possibly upset anyone before he was safely back home. If his comments were genuine, then he is a lot more forgiving than I would be. The worry and indignity he has been through would have many cursing all and sundry involved.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Wow! if the correction department chief is to be believed, Hakeem is a much bigger man than me. I was wrongfully arrested for assault on a night out in my younger days. When I was released in the morning and told I was clear, the last thing I did was thank anyone. Had to bite my tongue 'til I was out of listening range. 

You do not understand diplomacy. This bloke and you got away. There are some who do not.

This is a win for common sense. Hopefully all no profile detainees may have a similar result.

2 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

So sorry you do not understand the English written word.

I would try to explain it all to you again but I suspect the only response would be "what"

So make sense, then. I’m genuinely asking for clarification. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

So make sense, then. I’m genuinely asking for clarification. 

OK. believe it or not you and I are on the same side.

I am not sure you understand "face" and "political pressure" and how governments must behave to each other.

This was a win for a high profile illegal detention.

There are many more without a high profile. If you can comprehend my drift. what?

4 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

OK. believe it or not you and I are on the same side.

I am not sure you understand "face" and "political pressure" and how governments must behave to each other.

This was a win for a high profile illegal detention.

There are many more without a high profile. If you can comprehend my drift. what?

I understand diplomacy and face - but what does understanding them have to do with my post?

6 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I understand diplomacy and face - but what does understanding them have to do with my post?

Easy, you got out after one night. This bloke got out after more than 3 months in shackles.

He thanked his detainees for a reasonable time in detention.

He did not thank the system.

Not sure I can explain it any better.

English comprehension 1a maybe. 

2 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Easy, you got out after one night. This bloke got out after more than 3 months in shackles.

Again, you’ve completely lost me.

”He thanked his detainees for a reasonable time in detention”? 

Who are you referring to when you said “He thanked”? 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Again, you’ve completely lost me.

”He thanked his detainees for a reasonable time in detention”? 

Who are you referring to when you said “He thanked”? 

Detainees have detainers. 

Prison guards if you will.

They did their job. They are gaolers or jailers if you want.

They did not abuse him.

They had no part in his incarceration.

He thanked them for treating him, a prisoner with respect and decency. Maybe even empathy.

English Comprehension 1a.

He did not thank the system that got him into detention.

14 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I think you need to look at the source of the information and consider whether the source is unbiased and credible.

Thai government officials have a very long track record of ascribing comments to others which are patently false.

5 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Detainees have detainers. 

Prison guards if you will.

They did their job. They are gaolers or jailers if you want.

They did not abuse him.

They had no part in his incarceration.

He thanked them for treating him, a prisoner with respect and decency. Maybe even empathy.

English Comprehension 1a.

He did not thank the system that got him into detention.

Dear lord above us - “detainees have detainers. Prison guards if you will” - what? 

Again, who is ‘he’ you’re referring to? 

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I think you need to look at the source of the information and consider whether the source is unbiased and credible.

Thai government officials have a very long track record of ascribing comments to others which are patently false.

I am watching Australian ABC news tonight. He thanked the gaolers

for treating him with respect and compassion.

This is not a love thing about the "system"

He did not do all the hard times that we suspect is part of the prison system.

But because I too must speak with diplomacy because I live here.

This is what I mean when I talk about diplomacy.

We all know what is real with the authorities in Thailand.

32 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You have a link for this abc news report? 

ABC24

https://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b6023.htm 

the various new items of note, are revolving on a merry go round

other links:

https://iview.abc.net.au/channel/news

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/news-breakfast-short-cuts/series/0/video/NN1901H019S00

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

Cheers mate, you have made this non tech savvy poster free from a troll

33 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

These are just links to abc news - and not to Hakeem thanking Thai prison officials. Do you have a a specific link to Hakeem personally thanking Thai prison officials. 

From the OP:

Please stop with the trolling tactics. Troll posts and some inflammatory replies have been removed. 

19 minutes ago, metisdead said:

From the OP:

Please stop with the trolling tactics. Troll posts and some inflammatory replies have been removed. 

Thanks, but this I already knew. My point was that Hakeem hasn’t been heard thanking any Thai prison officials ‘personally’ This is information he is purported to have said by the corrections department chief. 

Archived