PM shrugs off calls to join TV debate

snoop1130

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation

10e2c63e9911f83d4e8dbb9c9713a163.jpeg

File photo: Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday declined a call for him to join a televised prime ministerial debate, warning voters not to be influenced merely by words.

Several television programmes are offering the stage to PM candidates to debate and express their thoughts and vision. Some have urged General Prayut, who was nominated by Phalang Pracharat Party for premier, to take part in the show.

Prayut, however, said yesterday that it was the political party’s matter. He had to look into the law to see whether he could join the debate and whether it would be appropriate or not.

Not known for his public-speaking skills, Prayut said: “I want you to bear this in mind about debates: please don’t believe or listen to those who are eloquent. The truth is, what they say might not be practical.” He was speaking at a press briefing after the Cabinet meeting. 

“It can affect the national budget. This isn’t easy. We have rules about financial discipline. They can promise to give you this and that. But it’s financially impossible.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30364002

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-12

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday declined a call for him to join a televised prime ministerial debate, warning voters not to be influenced merely by words.

Oh, oh, the irony of that statement!

He just doesn't realise the gaffs he's making, does he?

edit:

Perhaps next week, he'll be saying in a Kenneth Williams voice, "Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy."

11 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

I want you to bear this in mind about debates: please don’t believe or listen to those who are eloquent. The truth is, what they say might not be practical.” He was speaking at a press briefing after the Cabinet meeting. 

Judging others by his own high standard's then ..

It'd be hilarious, let's be honest. It'd be like pitting Homer Simpson against Jordan Peterson.

He'd sooner shut the TV station down than appear on 1 of its televised debates. A shame this won't happen unfortunately ????

41 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

His advisers are not stupid. They know when it is smart for him not to engage in a debate. He would surely make a complete and utter fool of himself and probably end up having a tantrum and threaten to punch someone in the mouth.

12 minutes ago, nong38 said:

He is not a debater and would be easily seen as inadequate. He does not listen, he just tells you things, then don't reply just nod, you know like a donkey. That's the real world in military thinking.

Thanks, I feel that perfectly sums up Prayut.

I’m trying to imagine my Thai boss in a debate. She just barks inane orders at the Thai staff who never oppose or ask for clarification. And when the foreigners do, she either says they never understand or she storms off mumbling to herself. I dread to think what she’d do if she had an army and 44 behind her. 

Can you imagine the debate? I can. It might go something like this:

Opponent: Sir, can you justify the suppression of universally recognised human and civil rights at the hands of a military junta that lacks any internationally recognised raison d'etre?

P. : What do you want? Do you want a bad man  to return to Thailand and cause trouble again? Do you want chaos?  Do you want Thailand to lose its freedom, world respect and record number of grateful tourists? Do you have no respect for your betters?  Do you want a punch in the face ...?!!!!!'

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

That would depend on where you stood on the social ladder. All are not equal.

Being a farang /alien ,  i am  not on the social ladder in Thailand , and never will be.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I’m trying to imagine my Thai boss in a debate. She just barks inane orders at the Thai staff who never oppose or ask for clarification. And when the foreigners do, she either says they never understand or she storms off mumbling to herself. I dread to think what she’d do if she had an army and 44 behind her. 

Yes, I had a Thai boss who my predecessor described as 'a megalomaniac'.

The boss would change his mind regularly, call staff meetings where we only heard him speak, as he loved the sound of his own voice.

He constantly refined my role as Business Manager, often in the middle of ongoing projects.

The only upside to it was that he loved drinking beer. Every Friday afternoon twenty-odd staff would go to different Thai-buffet locations, with free food and as much beer as we could drink, all on expenses.

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

Can you imagine the debate? I can. It might go something like this:

Opponent: Sir, can you justify the suppression of universally recognised human and civil rights at the hands of a military junta that lacks any internationally recognised raison d'etre?

P. : What do you want? Do you want a bad man  to return to Thailand and cause trouble again? Do you want chaos?  Do you want Thailand to lose its freedom, world respect and record number of grateful tourists? Do you have no respect for your betters?  Do you want a punch in the face ...?!!!!!'

I hope you weren't aiming for any chuckles among the readership. The above is exactly what would happen.

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So in other words, 'I know deep down I am unfit to hold this position, and am terrified of being found out.' Yes, apt indeed...

1 minute ago, baboon said:

So in other words, 'I know deep down I am unfit to hold this position, and am terrified of being found out.' Yes, apt indeed...

As my old man used to say to me, “get good at saying no and get good at hearing it”. Something my boss, and others like her, will never understand. 

Archived