PM shrugs off calls to join TV debate

snoop1130

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an article by Richard Lloyd Parry in THe Times today.

It's short but actually encapsulates all that needs to be said on the subject.

'Prayuth Chan-ocha, a bad-tempered retired general with the charm and empathy of an ageing Dalek, has spent the five years since seizing power in a military coup carefully rewriting the rules to maximise his chances of success in next month’s democratic elections.'

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

From an article by Richard Lloyd Parry in THe Times today.

It's short but actually encapsulates all that needs to be said on the subject.

'Prayuth Chan-ocha, a bad-tempered retired general with the charm and empathy of an ageing Dalek, has spent the five years since seizing power in a military coup carefully rewriting the rules to maximise his chances of success in next month’s democratic elections.'

"an ageing dalek" what a creative description. Excellent!

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Not known for his public-speaking skills, Prayut said: “I want you to bear this in mind about debates: please don’t believe or listen to those who are eloquent. The truth is, what they say might not be practical.”

he then finished with a song:

Words don't come easy to me
How can I find a way to make you see I love you
Words don't come easy
Words don't come easy to me
This is the only way for me to say I love you
Words don't come easy

Threats do come easy, though

as well as punches...

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“It can affect the national budget. This isn’t easy. We have rules about financial discipline. They can promise to give you this and that. But it’s financially impossible.”

He's correct here, the budget is screwed for the next 20 years paying off tanks, planes & submarines.

Not known for his public-speaking skills, Prayut said: “I want you to bear this in mind about debates: please don’t believe or listen to those who are eloquent. The truth is, what they say might not be practical.”

Like cutting the number of generals and officer echelons in the armed forces by half?

Or how about

getting rid of conscription?

Or writing a new constitution that will forever stop future coups?

Just some of the "eloquent" ideas up for debate...........

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

His advisers are not stupid. They know when it is smart for him not to engage in a debate. He would surely make a complete and utter fool of himself and probably end up having a tantrum and threaten to punch someone in the mouth.

Well, he does that in his normal everyday interaction with the media - heaven knows what would happen if anyone debated with him !

11 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Like cutting the number of generals and officer echelons in the armed forces by half?

Or how about

getting rid of conscription?

Or writing a new constitution that will forever stop future coups?

Just some of the "eloquent" ideas up for debate...........

Or making the laws about starting parties, parties having a solid manifesto which clearly states development, massive improvements in education, the police and massively reducing corruption, stopping nepotism and cronyism, with specific goals and dates and measurement criteria. Plus the creation of a public based watchdog which is under the control of the populace to monitor that promises are being / have been kept and with mandatory severe punishments if promises are not kept. And outlaw family based dynasty parties. And make promotion in any form of government service, incl., military by proven capability and displayed long-term superior performance, all monitored by a civilian watchdog owned by the populace.  Same in terms of equal justice for all Thais.

In other words create a strict scenario, whereby the current scaly thugs who we call politicians are pushed out, therefore encouraging and allowing younger, intelligent, sincere folks to get involved and get elected and quickly take Thailand forward in big fair steps. 

Then absolutely no need for coups...

Not known for his public-speaking skills,

How on earth did this self-admittedly non-eloquent apology for mankind ever make it to Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army?

Surely, to earn such high rank, you must be able to communicate both with your underlings and the top brass at the Defence Ministry. These failings surely add fuel to suspicions that Prayuth never earned the top rank . . . he was simply bought there, within his nepotistic clan.

I do hope that I'm not 'affecting the National Budget' by saying such things about our PM who hasn't the guts to face his opponents in debate. Commander in Chief? . . . commander in belief, more like and, the way he's going, a sure-fire candidate for the Planet's piss-poor PM award.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Or making the laws about starting parties, parties having a solid manifesto which clearly states development, massive improvements in education, the police and massively reducing corruption, stopping nepotism and cronyism, with specific goals and dates and measurement criteria. Plus the creation of a public based watchdog which is under the control of the populace to monitor that promises are being / have been kept and with mandatory severe punishments if promises are not kept. And outlaw family based dynasty parties. And make promotion in any form of government service, incl., military by proven capability and displayed long-term superior performance, all monitored by a civilian watchdog owned by the populace.  Same in terms of equal justice for all Thais.

In other words create a strict scenario, whereby the current scaly thugs who we call politicians are pushed out, therefore encouraging and allowing younger, intelligent, sincere folks to get involved and get elected and quickly take Thailand forward in big fair steps. 

Then absolutely no need for coups...

You suggest that otherwise coups would be needed. Did any coup solve the problems you mention?

9 minutes ago, candide said:

You suggest that otherwise coups would be needed. Did any coup solve the problems you mention?

No they didn't, that's true.

But they did throw out unscrupulous highly corrupt unethical, immoral parties and their scaly leaders.

And yes I've about voting them out. Nice textbook idea but in the Thai scenario not an answer. 

Why would anyone want a Thug at the debate ?   This apology for a decent Human Being spends all his time threatening people and shaking his fists, making statements like... ''I will punch you in the mouth','  ''I would shoot all reporters','  ''Try and remove me..Jerks''....and so on, hardly the conduct of a civilised Statesman or Politician.  In short; he is clueless and any debate is better off not including this biggest 'Jerk' in the country !

No they didn't, that's true.

But they did throw out unscrupulous highly corrupt unethical, immoral parties and their scaly leaders.

And yes I've about voting them out. Nice textbook idea but in the Thai scenario not an answer. 

But the cure was worse than the disease.And the administer of the medicine was an illegal fraud.

Reality is that the old guard is petrified that the “gains” it secured through the coup will be wasted.Hatred of Thaksin is back at a psychotic level among the old guard.I believe they will do anything to cripple a genuine popular democracy even they know the damage that could result.

They see the influence of Thaksin as an existential challenge to their power and wealth.There are no limits to which they will not go.One party down maybe two to go.

Buckle up.It’s going to be unpleasant.

If he is saying that his actions deserve a vote more than what another candidates platform he's confused. But are the majority of Thais confused as well. If there really is an election will they vote for a change no matter what? If a candidate offers solutions to problems, and a reasonable explanation on how they will get the results promised, it seems like they would already be light years ahead of what is happening for the past several years. 

Archived