Advice from Phuket Professionals

CNX GUY

Is Phuket a good place to live?

After having spent some years now living in country, both Pattaya and Chiang Mai, I am wondering about a move to Phuket.

I was there once circa 2010, noticed some bad smells, and promptly got sick (after a Starbucks coffee); probably because of piping and water problems that were persisting at that time.

in any event for those who would not feel put out/off put by offering some very brief/basic advice I wonder if you find the area agreeable particularly for:

- Reasonable proximity to food, particularly Western, maybe even within areas that are chiefly walkable

- Areas where there is reasonably easy access to super-marketing - and where a car would not be needed, nor long motorbike treks

- Of course all the usual nice things like quiet, anonymity and where everything doesn't close by 9 PM (bars excluded)

- A (generally speaking) friendly enough nature of the natives, and foreigners.

- I am assuming that the Internet is everything there that it is and/or isn't elsewhere?

-And, for these things, is any particular area of the isthmus/Peninsula that you would recommend for meeting this criteria.

Thanks a bunch guys!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have considered your requirements and would say Laguna Area (Middle/North section of Bangtao Beach) and its fringes would certainly tick all the boxes. Apart from the major 5* hotels (Banyan Tree, Angsana, Dusit etc) there's a good range of all kinds of restaurants and shopping nearby in Boat Avenue etc. Villa Market there, Laguna Golf Course, and major Waterpark (Bluetree), and new Central lifestyle mall (both of which will have international supermarkets and major shopping/dining facilities) coming soon. Excellent beach and water quality from the middle up, never busy at the northern (Layan) end, and many affordable or luxury quality new residential developments, as well as other options.

Have a look around Laguna, and while I have no interest/connection with that company, drop into their "Lifestyle" showroom (beside Canal Village), and you will get a good feel for the geography, and (their) housing options, as a start of your considerations.

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

Been in kamala ( except for 2 1/2 years) since 1996> Has all your looking for
Still love it here, although its getting busy with the new project on the north end

still 75% of the people living here were born here

Nice place, but, absolutely the worst place on the island to go anywhere else.

53 minutes ago, stuarty said:

I have considered your requirements and would say Laguna Area (Middle/North section of Bangtao Beach) and its fringes would certainly tick all the boxes. Apart from the major 5* hotels (Banyan Tree, Angsana, Dusit etc) there's a good range of all kinds of restaurants and shopping nearby in Boat Avenue etc. Villa Market there, Laguna Golf Course, and major Waterpark (Bluetree), and new Central lifestyle mall (both of which will have international supermarkets and major shopping/dining facilities) coming soon. Excellent beach and water quality from the middle up, never busy at the northern (Layan) end, and many affordable or luxury quality new residential developments, as well as other options.

Have a look around Laguna, and while I have no interest/connection with that company, drop into their "Lifestyle" showroom (beside Canal Village), and you will get a good feel for the geography, and (their) housing options, as a start of your considerations.

Looking sat the Op's requirements, (way) too isolated IMO. Rawai, Kamala, Kathu would be much better.

19 minutes ago, petermik said:

I stayed in Kata/Karon last december......thought I was in Moscow :whistling:

Nobody so far has mentioned either of those areas, would be too touristy.

Yes, December was filled with Russians. Still quite a few around, but at the moment also other westerners.

In the absence of any requirements regarding type of housing or proximity to ocean, I think the area around Central more than provides all things mentioned on the wish list.

There are multiple shopping centers with specialty shops, supermarkets, street markets, food halls, restaurants galore, fast food outlets (KFC, Macs), a large Tesco, an International hospital, and much more, all within  walking distance of each other.

What passes as a bus service on Phuket has stops nearby and can take you to the city and most popular beaches and will stop anywhere on the way.

Many condos have sprung up in the area in recent times and are probably reasonably priced. 

who wants to live on an island and NOT live near the beach   ????

4 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Still love it here, although its getting busy with the new project on the north end

Nice place, but, absolutely the worst place on the island to go anywhere else

what makes it special....:-)

48 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Precisely, especially one with (arguably still) some world class beaches, like Phuket.

Kamala might be my second choice but it lacks the comprehensive facilities of Laguna fringes/Cherngtalay area, and has a 6 lane speedway ripping through the middle which teds to detract from the ambience a tad. 

So, Laguna/Layan wins hands down for the reasons put down in my post above. It's also relatively near to the airport, which is going to become an ever increasing plus in years ahead..

I enjoyed staying in Kata /karon for months on end but i havn’t been back for 14 yrs so i should imagine things might have changed alot since then

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I echo the comments about Laguna above but would think rents around there would be more expensive as they seem to project themselves as upmarket compared to other areas. Countering that you do have good infrastructure there and more to come. 

Personally I like Kamala.  Despite its warts it has my immediate needs to hand. Rumour has it that the Big C may be expanding and also the possibility of a Makro but my source has proved unreliable in the past. The racetrack does have its own entertainment value. ????

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have never been to Phuket, was going to go once until I read about the rip off taxis, or was it tuk tuks.

It was not mentioned anywhere here unless I have missed it.

why bothering posting this?
if u have never been and have nothing to offer? 

Bored or .....

On 2/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, stuarty said:

Precisely, especially one with (arguably still) some world class beaches, like Phuket.

Kamala might be my second choice but it lacks the comprehensive facilities of Laguna fringes/Cherngtalay area, and has a 6 lane speedway ripping through the middle which teds to detract from the ambience a tad. 

So, Laguna/Layan wins hands down for the reasons put down in my post above. It's also relatively near to the airport, which is going to become an ever increasing plus in years ahead..

Why would living near an airport become an ever increasing plus in the future? I would have thought the opposite would be the case.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, phuketrichard said:

what makes it special....:-)

Its an island in definition only....not the quintessential palm fringed atoll surrounded type though. It may as be described as an Island for bragging rights only to people back home who have no real idea about the place. Australia is an island as well, as is the UK.

18 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Why would living near an airport become an ever increasing plus in the future? I would have thought the opposite would be the case.

You are clearly not well acquainted with Phuket geography , traffic conditions and logistics given this and your other post about whether Phuket is perceived to be a tropical island

I didn’t say Laguna area was near the airport. I said it was relatively nearer than the other suggested locales mentioned by other posters

In most Asian locations reasonable proximity to an international airport is considered a large bonus. If you had any conception of traffic logistics in Phuket currently and as seen going forward you would be better placed to offer constructive comments 

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have never been to Phuket, was going to go once until I read about the rip off taxis, or was it tuk tuks.

It was not mentioned anywhere here unless I have missed it.

Your loss , ridiculous excuse , may as well add that you have avoided London , New York etc because the taxis are expensive.

All the beach areas or Phuket town have a myriad of shops , bars and restaurants within walking distance . For exploring , and there is a lot to see , a weeks car hire wont set you back more than 1,000 baht or so per day , why would you even need a tuk tuk ?

I have been a regular visitor to the island for almost 20 years , its far more crowded these days its true , but it is still preferable to most Isaan dustbowls by a factor of around 10,000 -1.

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

You are clearly not well acquainted with Phuket geography , traffic conditions and logistics given this and your other post about whether Phuket is perceived to be a tropical island

I didn’t say Laguna area was near the airport. I said it was relatively nearer than the other suggested locales mentioned by other posters

In most Asian locations reasonable proximity to an international airport is considered a large bonus. If you had any conception of traffic logistics in Phuket currently and as seen going forward you would be better placed to offer constructive comments 

Very true , over the last decade I would estimate travelling time from the airport to the southern beach areas has approximately doubled.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:20 AM, KC 71 said:

I enjoyed staying in Kata /karon for months on end but i havn’t been back for 14 yrs so i should imagine things might have changed alot since then

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Less Scandinavians , lot more Chinese and Russians in Karon and Kata , otherwise not changed much.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, phuketrichard said:

BINGO!!! 

Kamala beach is one of the best in Phuket. Relatively clean, and also safely swimmable in all seasons. Its the only beach in Phuket with a boardwalk and also including a selection of thai/international restaurants right on the beach boardwalk.

Kamala has a bit of a Thai Villlage atmosphere/vibe, but it is rapidly becoming the epicenter of newly built 5 star hotels on the island. Several 5 star hotel/resorts/condos are being built there right now.

There is currently a Big C supermarket and a plethora of cafe, restaurants, and pubs across the town.

Kamala is also very accessible to most of the other popular places in phuket. It is only 15 minutes drive to Patong, 10 minutes to Surin beach, 15 minutes to Bangtao, and 50 minutes to the airport. 

The roads between kamala/surin and kamala/patong are currently being widened from two to four lanes. This will greatly increase already good accessibility.

Unlike bangtao or rawai, everything in kamala is within walking distance, so no need for a car or even a motorbike.

Seems to tick all the boxes of the OP.

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

Know Rawai very well but it died around 5 or 6 years ago - empty bars everywhere - many have just been deserted. Chalong area was well known for moped gangs willing to break arms to get handbags. Saw it myself. Shame

Though on a lighter note I did see a green snake crawl up a motorbike and get under the seat - when he came back (the rider not the snake) everyone was shouting at him about the snake but he clearly thought they were taking the piss and off he goes, gets up to Chalong roundabout and suddenly leaps off the bike and runs like the clappers leaving the bike in the road. Can’t think why.

You obviously don't know Rawai and Chalong that well. Shame.

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Know Rawai very well but it died around 5 or 6 years ago - empty bars everywhere - many have just been deserted. Chalong area was well known for moped gangs willing to break arms to get handbags. Saw it myself. Shame

Though on a lighter note I did see a green snake crawl up a motorbike and get under the seat - when he came back (the rider not the snake) everyone was shouting at him about the snake but he clearly thought they were taking the piss and off he goes, gets up to Chalong roundabout and suddenly leaps off the bike and runs like the clappers leaving the bike in the road. Can’t think why.

What rubbish.

The gangs you mention were operating out of Sai Yuan which is in Rawai. That problem was cleared up years ago.

Many very busy bars and restaurants in Rawai. I know because I was out last night.

Chalong pier road businesses are suffering, but, that is because of construction at the circle. Hopefully, that will be completed next year.

I haven't lived in Phuket since 2003 for a variety of reasons.  There are many other places that are much better that fit my lifestyle.  Don't let that stop you from going.  You might  like it!  Obviously a number of farangs like it and good for them.  It's just not my cup of tea.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:29 PM, Benroon said:

It seems you know FA about Rawai or Chalong.

When I was living in Phuket the biggest negative for me was lack of public transportation. They do have the open old buses occasionally running between towns but if you are going to live there you will need a car or motorbike and if you opt for the motorbike you will definitely need wet weather gear in the rainy season.

Archived