Advice from Phuket Professionals

CNX GUY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, emptypockets said:

Its an island in definition only....not the quintessential palm fringed atoll surrounded type though. It may as be described as an Island for bragging rights only to people back home who have no real idea about the place. Australia is an island as well, as is the UK.

What a non-sensical post!

Yes, by definition, and any other way it can be classified, Phuket is an Island!  No, It's not a small sand atoll with a couple of palm trees, but only in your strange brain does that preclude it from being what it is!  And what the hell are you trying to say about bragging rights (!) and making comparisons with the nations of UK and Australia?

Incidentally, what's your definition of a bridge? 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, possum1931 said:

I have never been to Phuket, was going to go once until I read about the rip off taxis, or was it tuk tuks.

It was not mentioned anywhere here unless I have missed it.

Ahh, Possum.

What made you think it was a good idea to post on a topic where someone is seeking advice about best place to live, in a destination you've never seen?

And, not judging - recent events have highlighted how many low income people have moved to Thailand, but why would you feel the need to display your financial situation by revealing that the cost of a taxi is the reason you've never visited.

Seeking sympathy in a harsh world? 

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

When I was living in Phuket the biggest negative for me was lack of public transportation. They do have the open old buses occasionally running between towns but if you are going to live there you will need a car or motorbike and if you opt for the motorbike you will definitely need wet weather gear in the rainy season.

Wow, you can learn something every day!

Who knew in the tropics it can rain, and if you're out in it on a motorbike, you will need wet weather gear or get wet!

2 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Old Croc on a roll!

OP, there's a lot of areas that would meet your criteria.  I would suggest spending time in your shortlist of places and see what works for you.

I know I'm a sarcastic bastard, and today I'm probably more grumpy than usual, possibly because the dogs woke me far too early.

However, I really do get tired of the dross some people post that seem to have no purpose other than to denigrate a place they have either never seen, or only visited for a few days decades ago.

Nothing wrong with informed criticism, there are genuine former residents who contribute often. Nowhere is ideal for all people all the time.

35 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Ahh, Possum.

What made you think it was a good idea to post on a topic where someone is seeking advice about best place to live, in a destination you've never seen?

And, not judging - recent events have highlighted how many low income people have moved to Thailand, but why would you feel the need to display your financial situation by revealing that the cost of a taxi is the reason you've never visited.

Seeking sympathy in a harsh world? 

A few years back there was lots of reports about either taxis or tuk tuks or both, ripping people off. There was so many reports on this it just had to be true. Nothing to do with any financial situation. 

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A few years back there was lots of reports about either taxis or tuk tuks or both, ripping people off. There was so many reports on this it just had to be true. Nothing to do with any financial situation. 

Yes, but, 90% of them were from a single poster.......

39 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Oh, it's true, just not particularly relevant here.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:34 AM, 5633572526 said:

When I was living in Phuket the biggest negative for me was lack of public transportation. They do have the open old buses occasionally running between towns but if you are going to live there you will need a car or motorbike and if you opt for the motorbike you will definitely need wet weather gear in the rainy season.

why? i'd say 95%++ of the expats living here own a motorcycle or car so why would public transport affect you at all?

ONLY negative  i have is the number of bus's /mini buses on the road and thank god i dont eve need drive to chalong!!

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

ONLY negative  i have is the number of bus's /mini buses on the road and thank god i dont eve need drive to chalong!!

I think therein lies the problem.   Driving to Chalong from Kamala or anywhere else on the west coast is a pain with the trails of buses, steep hills etc.   Living in Chalong (or indeed Rawai when the circle underpass is complete, hopefully shortly) is easy.   Good restaurants, wide range of shopping options, and what I believe is quite important for full time living, a consistent population of diverse expats and locals sufficient to maintain friendships

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

I think therein lies the problem.   Driving to Chalong from Kamala or anywhere else on the west coast is a pain with the trails of buses, steep hills etc.   Living in Chalong (or indeed Rawai when the circle underpass is complete, hopefully shortly) is easy.   Good restaurants, wide range of shopping options, and what I believe is quite important for full time living, a consistent population of diverse expats and locals sufficient to maintain friendships

You are assuming that there is a need to drive to Chalong from Kamala or anywhere else on the west coast. I wonder why?

1 hour ago, beechbum said:

Kamalas OK but the need for driving through Patong or Surin to go south is a huge put off.

(a) You don't need to drive through Surin to go south from Kamala

(c) You don't need to go south at all unless you are going to hospital.

12 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Which is in which direction?

The poster was talking about having to go through Patong or Surin to go (to the) south. That is correct. I am saying Why do you need to go to the south of the island at all (unless you are going to hospital, or maybe immigration)? 

44 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I said WAS well known right ?

When I left there were more empty than full, mate still lives there (15+ years), owns several properties tells me its on its arse - perhaps its had a resurgence or you're a bar owner ?

Chalong - so we are agreed ? 

No, read my post again. The gang (only one) was in Rawai, not Chalong.

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

You are assuming that there is a need to drive to Chalong from Kamala or anywhere else on the west coast. I wonder why?

haven't been to chalong in over a year, only reason i would go there is to eat at Kan Eang:-)

...or Surin to go south

FYI:  surin is NORTH of kamala  lol

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

I said WAS well known right ?

When I left there were more empty than full, mate still lives there (15+ years), owns several properties tells me its on its arse - perhaps its had a resurgence or you're a bar owner ?

Chalong - so we are agreed ? 

I don't think anyone who knows the island will agree with you.

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

wow;  total B.S from start to finish
Kamala has a BIg C, tesco,many thai local restaurants an plenty of food courts.

add in Kamala has been a community  LONG before the roads were built an still 75% of those living here were born here,

Compare that to Patong, Karon, Kata, where all the thai's are from Essan

surin to go NORTH>>> ( and soon the road will be 4 lanes)

I travel over the hill thru Northern Patong to head to central,maybe once a week.

rest of the time,everything i need is here in Kamala.

To each their own:-)

Glad that it works for you Richard, and I know that you, as a long term resident, have insights and knowledge that few can compare with.   However, pleasant and peaceful though Kamala may be, it's access and relative isolation, whilst appealing to some, are not without drawbacks.   Great that you enjoy it, and I'm sure that your advice will be taken onboard by those looking at this thread.   As you point out, there are few communities that retain large numbers people who originate from there.   The east coast, and north west areas, and particularly Cape Panwa/Koh Siray are places that spring to mind.   

You'll know, that if going north via Surin/Cherng Talay to Heroines monument (an alternative to getting to Phuket Town and most direct to the airport) the traffic congestions equals if not exceeds that of Chalong Circle.   But then, how often does anyone need to do it.

45 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

surin to go NORTH>>> ( and soon the road will be 4 lanes)

I travel over the hill thru Northern Patong to head to central,maybe once a week.

rest of the time,everything i need is here in Kamala.

To each their own:-)

I know it's north, all I'm saying is you have to go THROUGH either to be able to go south, not that bloody hard to understand is it?

Archived