7 Deadly Days: driving Northeast to BKK

FruitPudding

In the past I fell for the same idea: one after the official holidays are over all fine.

But that can go wrong. Nowadays many people have extra day(s) off.

I last observed this during the past New Year period.

On Jan 3 I did a short trip (16 km) to the district town (on a route south) and it was still heavy.

16th being last office holiday this year for Songkran.

17th, "fairly normal"?

I won't support this. It will still be quite heavy.

Plan extra hours.

Did this last year from Kalasin and only got as far as Sara Buri.

Drove up from Krabi midweek before Songkran and averaged mid 70 kph 

On the drive back on the Tuesday the average was 28 kph with three lane roads having five lanes of stop start traffic, never again.

I had to drive to Bangkok from Udon a couple of years back due to a bereavement, it was an absolute nightmare as many lanes of road had been closed off and given to the traffic leaving Bkk to drive north, wouldn't want to do that again, took twice as long as it usually takes me!

On 2/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, ballpoint said:

Not too bad driving to Bangkok at the start of, and mid- Songkran, as all the traffic is going the other way, but I wouldn't do it at the end of the holiday, as everyone's heading back to Bangkok.

and are probably on your side of the road heading towards you????????????

Head to Toe going up there unless you go 1-2 day head start before  the designated public holidays...Tediously slow and frustrating..All i can say is avoid it. Do not drive the same days as the Thai public are forced to.

Coming back was a nightmare. Took over 10 hours, 3 lanes becomes 6 lanes, frequently grinding to a complete halt for any number of reasons, even at best you can frequently walk faster. Because i was driving on my own i faced 2 major hurdles. !st, I was dying for a Toilet stop....I had no option but to use a bottle, as the gas stops were hours apart at the pace the traffic was going. 2nd issue i was absolutely buggered (very tired), i was terrified that i would nod off and bang into the car in front because of monotonously slow (hypnotising almost) traffic speed,  At 7-8 hours into the trip i became very sleepy But due to  the 6 lanes of traffic (including the emergency lane) i could find no where to pull over for a rest).  NEVER AGAIN AFTER THAT

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Yes that might work. Going against the flow.

But then: what you do in deserted Bangkok at this time?

Enjoy empty roads? :smile:

As a Bangkok resident, Songkran is my favorite time of year in Bangkok. What may normally take an hour to drive from point A to point B, you can do in 15 minutes during Songkran. Plus, most everything is open, just not nearly as crowded. Yes I do enjoy the empty roads, they're a rare and most welcome sight. 

18 hours ago, IssanDad said:

Head to Toe going up there unless you go 1-2 day head start before  the designated public holidays...Tediously slow and frustrating..All i can say is avoid it. Do not drive the same days as the Thai public are forced to.

Coming back was a nightmare. Took over 10 hours, 3 lanes becomes 6 lanes, frequently grinding to a complete halt for any number of reasons, even at best you can frequently walk faster. Because i was driving on my own i faced 2 major hurdles. !st, I was dying for a Toilet stop....I had no option but to use a bottle, as the gas stops were hours apart at the pace the traffic was going. 2nd issue i was absolutely buggered (very tired), i was terrified that i would nod off and bang into the car in front because of monotonously slow (hypnotising almost) traffic speed,  At 7-8 hours into the trip i became very sleepy But due to  the 6 lanes of traffic (including the emergency lane) i could find no where to pull over for a rest).  NEVER AGAIN AFTER THAT

Wow, which road was this on? What time?

On 2/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, PJPom said:

Did this last year from Kalasin and only got as far as Sara Buri.

Drove up from Krabi midweek before Songkran and averaged mid 70 kph 

On the drive back on the Tuesday the average was 28 kph with three lane roads having five lanes of stop start traffic, never again.

When you say Tuesday, do you mean Tuesday 18th April, last year?

I remember an infamous Songkran back in the 90's when the tollway was still being built and there was major road and bridge construction around Rangsit.  The Bangkok Post interviewed one poor guy who left central Bangkok after work, and by 02:00 had gotten as far as Don Muang.

Archived