Thai Fonts For Microsoft Word 2002

RDN

I have added the Thai Language as a language option using Control Panel in Windows XP, and I believe that the fonts that I can use are AngsanaNew, AngsanaDSE and AngsanaUPC.

Does anyone know of any others ?

โรเจอร์

Tahoma has its advantages. When I was having to send some faxes to Thailand, I used Tahoma to get as many legible lines to the page as I could. I don't find it pretty, but it's legible enough. It's also my default Internet font for Thai.

I think the Internet Explorer setting command Tools, Internet Options, Fonts will list the relevant fonts if you set 'Language script' to Thai. I've got 15 which came with Windows XP and the Thai version of Windows 2002.

Tahoma has its advantages.  When I was having to send some faxes to Thailand, I used Tahoma to get as many legible lines to the page as I could.  I don't find it pretty, but it's legible enough.  It's also my default Internet font for Thai.

I think the Internet Explorer setting command Tools, Internet Options, Fonts will list the relevant fonts if you set 'Language script' to Thai.  I've got 15 which came with Windows XP and the Thai version of Windows 2002.

Thanks Richard W. I just found the names of the 14 or 15 Thai fonts using the IE trick you suggested. I think Cordia New and CordiaUPC are best - very thin fonts and easy to see how to write the letters. I tried Tahoma and MS Sans Serif, but these fonts have very thick vertical strokes with circles at the ends - not easy to see which way to start writing the letters.

Boon Mee - please read above!

โรเจอร์

I prefer Tahoma over anything else. Mostly because the same font looks good and properly sized and shaped both when writing Thai in Tahoma as well as English in Tahoma.

Older fonts like Angsana and Cordia are are line-spaced way out, this does not look good, especially not when displaying English in these fonts. Also the size is way off: A normal 10-11 point Angsana font is so small it's almost unreadable. Yet 10-11 Tahoma is fine.

Tahoma is the future!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

I prefer Tahoma over anything else.  Mostly because the same font looks good and properly sized and shaped both when writing Thai in Tahoma as well as English in Tahoma.

Older fonts like Angsana and Cordia are are line-spaced way out, this does not look good, especially not when displaying English in these fonts. Also the size is way off: A normal 10-11 point Angsana font is so small it's almost unreadable.    Yet 10-11 Tahoma is fine.

Tahoma is the future!!

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks Chanchao. I agree that Tahoma looks good when writing English and Thai letters in the same text, and the line spacing of Cordia New is a little too big, but the letters DO look clearer than Tahoma, and novices like me who can't recognise Thai letters easily should find Cordia New easier to read.

For example, just write "crab" in Thai (ปู) and compare how it looks using Tahoma and Cordia New. I think you'll agree that you can see the vowel under the "ป" much more easily in Cordia New font than Tahoma.

In the end, it must be up to the individual to choose, but I would like people to know about Cordia New.

There is one final point to make - that maybe different PC screens show fonts differently. My lap top screen resolution (1024 by 768) certainly shows Cordia New more clearly than Tahoma or Sans Serif, but maybe other screens at other resolutions do the reverse. As someone I know says: Up to you!

For example, just write "crab" in Thai (ปู) and compare how it looks using Tahoma and Cordia New. I think you'll agree that you can see the vowel under the "ป" much more easily in Cordia New font than Tahoma.

For the same pitch, the subscript vowels are about the same. Unless you're looking at a pronunciation, it isn't difficult to tell them apart. Superscript vowels are different. At 12 and 14 points Tahoma is superior to Cordia New. With large letters, the Tahoma vowels are rather crushed - it's the price you pay for having larger letters for the same pitch.

• 4 months later...
Tahoma has its advantages.  When I was having to send some faxes to Thailand, I used Tahoma to get as many legible lines to the page as I could.  I don't find it pretty, but it's legible enough.  It's also my default Internet font for Thai.

I think the Internet Explorer setting command Tools, Internet Options, Fonts will list the relevant fonts if you set 'Language script' to Thai.  I've got 15 which came with Windows XP and the Thai version of Windows 2002.

ทุกๆคน

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have only two options: Thai Kedmanee & Thai Pattachote? This operating system was purchased in Thailand and was supposed to be the "Thai" version of XP Pro.

I'm occasionally running into trouble with the small default fonts and thus making gross spelling errors! Faw faa ฝ can look like Faw fan ฟ if one is not careful. I don't see where I have 15 different options as to script?

ขอบคุณมาก

บุญนี

ทุกๆคน

I'm running Windows XP Pro and have only two options:  Thai Kedmanee & Thai Pattachote?  This operating system was purchased in Thailand and was supposed to be the "Thai" version of XP Pro.

I'm occasionally running into trouble with the small default fonts and thus making gross spelling errors!  Faw faa ฝ can look like Faw fan ฟ if one is not careful. I don't see where I have 15 different options as to script?

ขอบคุณมาก

บุญนี

I have standard XP Pro, so I don't know if this will work in the Thai version. Also, I only have to single-click to get links to open or run a program - you may have to double-click.

And before you start, have a pencil and paper handy and whenever you change ANYTHING, write down what you changed, what you changed it from and what you changed it to. Just in case you forget how to get back to your original settings.

Click Start, then Settings, then Control Panel, then Internet Options.

Under the "General" tab, click "Fonts".

In "Language script:", change to "Thai".

Under "Web page font:" there should be lots of fonts listed.

Good luck!

Edit:

P.S. Kedmanee and Pattachote are just styles of Thai keyboard - they just have some of the characters in different positions on the layout. I have a Kedmanee USB keyboard which I sometimes use, but I usually use the On-Screen-Keyboard (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\osk.exe).

Edited by RDN