To find a Dashcam seems to be more difficult than expected

moogradod

Having browsed through various posts here and on the internet, I finally visited today Boy Air & Sound on Sukhumvit in Pattaya. The lady there was not really interested but showed me 3 different packs ("..Sony sensor, very good"...). Completely disappointing for me. I had hoped for some professional advice and a larger top selection.

We need two dashcams for our new Camry when it will be delivered in March. No need for a 2CH model, two separate but power linked dashcams even from different manufacturers may be more appropriate than a 2CH model, for the back camera must be real small to avoid collision with the electric sun shield.

I do not want to be one single cabel visible. The shop must therefore have the skills to partly disassemble the brand new car, connect everything and put everything back on as it was.

No need for a parking mode (although this would be a nice add-on) nor for cloud storage, but need for an impeccable picture quality even at night (like that of the Blackvue 900 series). The cams must withstand heat and have high resolution.

There is for example the GARMIN 55 (here it is called the GDR E560 I think) which seems to qualify. I asked Boy Air & Sound if they could order two for me and install it and they said no.

One idea is to wait for the motor show in BKK and look around there. Any other ideas ? The budget will be big enough for I consider this to be an important part of the car.

Surprised Toyota can't fit cameras for you as part of the deal (if not source the cameras yourself and ask them to fit them- they are probably far better able to hide cables than outside sources).

As for completely hidden you can install cameras fairly quickly with only a tiny bit of cable showing. Tons of them on Lazada. Get a glass lens as opposed to a plastic one as they can warp in the heat.

Make sure you apply for your insurance discount as well- 5% at least. 

12 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Surprised Toyota can't fit cameras for you as part of the deal (if not source the cameras yourself and ask them to fit them- they are probably far better able to hide cables than outside sources).

Get a glass lens as opposed to a plastic one as they can warp in the heat.

Make sure you apply for your insurance discount as well- 5% at least. 

Thanks for the suggestions ! Toyota has a dashcam as accessory (only front) but I would not know what I am buying - a camera of my choice will be more optimized I believe. But I will ask them if they can install any camera that I would bring. They would fit the Toyota variety anyway.

A camera with a plastic lens is more than a toy than a tool. Would never buy something like this.

In the first year the insurance is included as part of the deal, but for the second year I may try to get a discount. Thanks.

11 hours ago, kannot said:

Thanks. Yes, the A119 has been recommended on the net elsewhere as well as a top choice. They seem to be a bit big however, especially if used at the back. The car has a motor operated sun shield and the shield should have room enough to pass over the camera. Will see.

11 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Will have a closer look although this model is a bit on the cheap side. Just a prejudice from my part. I have nothing against spending less but the quality comes first. A Blackvue 900 2ch is around 30'000.--+, a 2 Garmin will be around 15'000.--. Of course this is because of the import taxes but a xiaomi is as well not from Thailand.

12 hours ago, moogradod said:

I finally visited today Boy Air & Sound on Sukhumvit in Pattaya. The lady there was not really interested but showed me 3 different packs ("..Sony sensor, very good"...). Completely disappointing for me. I had hoped for some professional advice and a larger top selection.

I went to them a couple of times and also found them to have no stock and little interest. I dont see why I would go there again for anything.

I got my dashcam from Amazon in the UK and had it fitted by a Bangkok car audio shop whilst they were installing a new car stereo unit. That again was something that I just couldn't find in Pattaya: no choice, no stock. I think I paid 300B for dashcam installation which included fitting an extra USB socket on the dashboard and all wiring. It was easier and cheaper to drive to Bangkok for the day than to try and get it done here. In Bangkok I rolled up on Sunday without an appointment, chose the stereo unit from a selection of about 30 models - all in stock - and had it fitted immediately in about an hour or so. Here is was all "have to order, maybe one week".

For a wider choice of dashcam here, have a look in Tukcom. You should be able to get one fitted by the guys with the small car fitting shops at BigC/Tesco on Sukumvit. And I see there is a now a fairly big place along the Railway Road, west side.

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I think I paid 300B for dashcam installation which included fitting an extra USB socket on the dashboard and all wiring. It was easier and cheaper to drive to Bangkok for the day than to try and get it done here.

For a wider choice of dashcam here, have a look in Tukcom. You should be able to get one fitted by the guys with the small car fitting shops at BigC/Tesco on Sukumvit. And I see there is a now a fairly big place along the Railway Road, west side.

Thanks KittenKong. Amazing how cheap the charges for installation are. I would not mind to go to BKK either. I think for the fitting I will ask first my Toyota Dealer. I really do not want any cables hanging around (or visible - not even slightly) in the passenger cabin.

So they need to take off the ceiling, maybe drilling holes and sealing them for direct access to the 12V internally. Same for the camera pointing to the back. As I would probably not need an external battery pack to be fitted in the trunk this should be an easy task, but they need to know what they are doing and not disturb the car electronics as well etc. etc.

I will order the camera online as you did - which one is still open, but I have a good feeling with the GARMIN E560 if I read reviews and see the comparisons on the net (it is called GARMIN 55 in Europe).

All my wires were hidden. They only removed the panel on the passenger side stanchion (it is designed to clip off and on) and the rest was just tucked behind the trim and behind the glove box. The USB power cable is wired directly into the rear of a new USB socket below the car stereo, which also allows me to play music from a USB memory stick without having the stick poking out of the car stereo. The phone microphone for the BT car stereo was fitted the same way. It's all fine and neat. The place I went to was very large and they probably do dozens of installations every day.

This gives you an idea of how they do it, though on mine there is no plug on the dashboard, and all the wires and plugs are hidden behind the glove box and dont go near the door at all. It is very neat with only about 5cm of wire visible where it actually connects to the dashcam above the rear view mirror. On mine they used a flexible conduit for the USB cable right from the dashcam to the back of the dashboard which is even better.

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The place I went to was very large and they probably do dozens of installations every day.

Thanks KittenKong. Do you mind sharing which place this was exactly ? You might PM me if this is against the posting rules on TV. Just in case my dealer here does not want or cannot do it properly.

The GARMIN is out of the race by the way. This one seems to be overly termperature sensitive (battery instead of capacitor). Viofo A119S (or "pro" how it is called here) may fill the gap. I will just order one with Lazada and see what I get. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it will still take some time before our new car will be delivered.

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Thanks. Yes, the A119 has been recommended on the net elsewhere as well as a top choice. They seem to be a bit big however, especially if used at the back. The car has a motor operated sun shield and the shield should have room enough to pass over the camera. Will see.

Big?? cripes its  only about  the size of a  matchbox ( if  you remember those) here's  mine its VERY easy to install these  yourself with the guarantee its been done properly. You can buy a "piggyback"  fuse  connector and go straight into the fusebox no wires to cut/splice or cigarette  type things, all is  hidden

20190102_095200.jpg

20190102_095212.jpg

product-image-76311086_large.jpg

Thanks, maybe it is just small enough. I think it is about twice the size of the Garmin 55, but this one does not qualify because of heat problems. I will order a Viofo 119s (pro) from Lazada. It must be the 119 pro because of the better night recording over the standard 119 and I must not forget to order the polarizing filter. Then I see what I get and bring it to the Toyota Dealer. Then I get an impression if it fits in or not and if yes I will order one more for the back.

The windows will be fitted with a 40% sun blocking foil but I think this will not be much of a problem. Everyone here has that, even 60%.

10 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks, maybe it is just small enough. I think it is about twice the size of the Garmin 55, but this one does not qualify because of heat problems. I will order a Viofo 119s (pro) from Lazada. It must be the 119 pro because of the better night recording over the standard 119 and I must not forget to order the polarizing filter. Then I see what I get and bring it to the Toyota Dealer. Then I get an impression if it fits in or not and if yes I will order one more for the back.

The windows will be fitted with a 40% sun blocking foil but I think this will not be much of a problem. Everyone here has that, even 60%.

NO dont order the "s"  model its actually NOT as  good go for the older a119 and get the gps  mount as this lets  you run cables  out the top and not out the side as in my photo, I dont have the polarizing  filter and its  just fine, let me see if I can find the  test (ok below) where they say the 119 is  better than the 119s and Pro

9 minutes ago, kannot said:

NO dont order the "s"  model its actually NOT as  good go for the older a119 and get the gps  mount as this lets  you run cables  out the top and not out the side as in my photo, I dont have the polarizing  filter and its  just fine, let me see if I can find the UK test where they say the 119 is  better than the 119s

I see, but the A119pro has better night vision. Have a look here for a real comprehensive comparison: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a119s/

Especially the video is showing many different aspects.

Maybe I should go for the a119, but I definitely do not want a spacious GPS unit if this can be avoided. Is there something to be placed outside of the window. Would be a no go.

2 minutes ago, moogradod said:

do not want a spacious GPS unit

spacious?? its  tiny the same  size  just thicker than the original back  plate and lets  you run the cable out the top which  looks  way  better

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I see, but the A119pro has better night vision. Have a look here for a real comprehensive comparison: https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a119s/

Maybe I should go for the a119, but I definitely do not want a spacious GPS unit if this can be avoided.

The  video i  linked to actually  shows  the footage at night and it  looks  better to me........but  up to you.

15 minutes ago, kannot said:

NO dont order the "s"  model its actually NOT as  good go for the older a119 and get the gps  mount as this lets  you run cables  out the top and not out the side as in my photo, I dont have the polarizing  filter and its  just fine, let me see if I can find the  test (ok below) where they say the 119 is  better than the 119s and Pro

Interesting. Will have a longer look at it when I come back from the city today. At a first glance the "GPS unit" disturbs me. It is like a curse - there is alway ONE setback wherever you look.

7 minutes ago, kannot said:

spacious?? its  tiny the same  size  just thicker than the original back  plate and lets  you run the cable out the top which  looks  way  better

I will just order one and then I can see it live.

Just now, moogradod said:

Interesting. Will have a longer look at it when I come back from the city today. At a first glance the "GPS unit" disturbs me. It is like a curse - there is alway ONE setback wherever you look.

The unit becomes the same as the non gps back mounting plate, same size  just a bit thicker and hides the cable even more, looks  crap coming out of the side

Just now, kannot said:

also check left right camera adjustment i think the s and pro dont have that?

The s and pro do not have the right/left adjustment. sfokevin did mention the dual cam model as well. As long as this is the same spec for the front as the A119 I will have to check this one, too.

I bought an HP dashcam about 7 years ago when I was living in KL and now have it in my car here.  Two cheaper brands in my wife's car have failed over the same period, but this one hasn't missed a beat.   I have now seen them, or a similar model, for sale in PowerBuy for around THB 3,500.

Image result for hp dash cam

This one I have is just a single camera, but they have a dual channel version on Lazada for THB 6,833.

Image result for hp dash cam

23 hours ago, moogradod said:

I did have 40% sun blocking and found that the sun still annoyed me, e.g. burning my hands from the front and my face from the sun, burning is probably not the word, but I could feel it being uncomfortable on my skin so I upgraded to 60%, great investment, however can be a little difficult driving at night until you get used to it if your in the bush, or maybe go for 40% at the front and 60% everywhere else, hugh difference and I am happy with 60% all around.

The Viofo A129 Duo would be my choice for my next upgrade, having currently fitted their A119 and A119s in my front & rear windows supported by Dashcamviewer for viewing/editing the clips.

Posters might find this useful too. Mine sits in my seatbelt-slide & comes in handy whether in or out of the car in any capacity and doubles as a 'pedestrian dashcam' when exercising or walking the dog (aggressive Soi Dogs, idiots on bikes etc) :

15 quid on Ebay.

HTH 

Archived