New rule, no bikes larger than 150cc on the train?

darkian

I turned up for my train to Chiang Mai this evening, a good hour and a half in advance as requested by the ticket agent, to have my CRF consigned to the baggage car... only to be given the sad eye look and told that mae dai! a 'new policy' means that bikes with engine capacities larger than 150cc are no longer permitted. "Too big and heavy and difficult to handle", or words to that effect, when I asked why.

Anyway this seemed odd to me - only in December I took my bike on the same route but in the opposite direction. However in order to have my ticket refunded the man in charge of the baggage desk needed to write something on the back (probably the reason for the refund), so presumably this is indeed a new policy and not just something made up at the ticket counter.

Of course fantastic news for me now that I'm on the dirt wheels, and so nothing for it but to stick 700 boring road km on my expensive MT-21 tyres!

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this or has more information. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out that this isn't a policy, and on any other day big bikes are allowed...

I can see their point, but it's a pity the ticket agent didn't bother to tell me about this rule when I went there to buy the ticket on Sunday. I could've tried to make other arrangements, or split the ride up there into two days.

However for anyone wanting to take their bike, it's definitely worth checking. As I said I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be a temporary rule, or is otherwise revoked or reworded in the future.

1 hour ago, oby said:
Farang Paul

Farang PaulA Late Convert

Oddometer:
New rule announced by Thai Railways - maximum size of bike permitted 125c.c. as from 1st. February 2019

I'm wondering this new rule also applies to bikes sent through the post office. My son planning to send his bike soon CM to Bkk, bigger than 150 cc.

But maybe the PO transport bikes by their own truck logistics rather than but on rail?

Any comments appreciated 

BTW new rule is not about bikes only. I don't remember details but there is also a stricter weight limitation on any baggage or box you want them to carry in the baggage car. I don't remember limits, but remember higher limits for a rolling-box.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, darkian said:

I turned up for my train to Chiang Mai this evening

this sucks. i just loaded my 650 Kawasaki on the train in November. and many other trips. it always seems that they were going to drop it every time during loading and unloading.    

thanks for the heads up. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:51 PM, papa al said:

What was the charge for the CRF?

They'd only charged me for my seat on the train at this point. When I took the bike the other way, back in December, it was around 1500 baht total for the bike. Part of the cost was a 'per cc' charge, so they wanted to see the green book (but did accept a copy).

On 2/13/2019 at 8:05 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I read on expat bikers Facebook that the new rule say max125cc but I can't find it, saw it app 1-2 weeks ago.

I expect 125cc is correct. Maybe I misheard, or the chap didn't know. There was a Kawasaki 150 parked up with all the other luggage though so maybe there's some leniency. I think the main issue really is for big bike owners.

13 hours ago, properperson said:

Blimey - a CRF with MT21's for 700 kms - will be like listening to a John Bonham drum solo on a loop.....

Would have thought the tyres will be worse for wear when you get there too.....

It was loud, and not half as nice as with the road wheels on, but still it kept me awake! Mostly yes, I was annoyed at putting all that wear on the tyres. Ran them at 30psi.

Archived