Proof of Onward Travel

Hi guys.  Due to fly on the 28th of this month.  I'm leaving the UK for sometime - stopping on Samui for a couple of months before moving on somewhere else like Bali or the Philippines.  I've got my Single Entry Tourist Visa and a one way ticket with Finnair to USM - with no on going travel booked so far.  I was just going to see what I feel like doing closer to the time and go from there - but someone told me the airline may not board me without proof of onward travel?  Any advice please.

Correct. It may not, if it decides to check your onward ticket.

I wouldn't get a cheap ticket somewhere, why throw away money? Some airlines allow you to book a ticket, without paying for it, which you can then print out with the status "confirmed". That booking lasts 1-3 days - enough time to present it before it expires.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

It's true and I too was given advice by my airline at check-in to get a ticket onward to anywhere. Just get a cheap ticket to a local country.

1 minute ago, hakama said:

Correct. It may not, if it decides to check your onward ticket.

I wouldn't get a cheap ticket somewhere, why throw away money? Some airlines allow you to book a ticket, without paying for it, which you can then print out with the status "confirmed". That booking lasts 1-3 days - enough time to present it before it expires.

The OP has a "Single Entry Tourist Visa" and the airline should not insist on an onward flight.

• Like 2

My flight, today, to BKK via Japan Airlines has a return flight 55 days later. I will be entering on visa exempt and will pursue a 30 day extension in Jomtien.   

I was concerned about it being over 30 days so I purchased a $72 ticket to Laos on the 29th day after arrival. 

The airlines quizzed me about the 55 days and all was well after I showed the ticket to Laos.  $72 well spent.  If I get the extension, the ticket will not be used.  If for some weird reason that I do not get the extension, I will use the ticket and enter through the land crossing.

The JAL personnel were quite aware of the problems with immigration in Thailand.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The OP has a "Single Entry Tourist Visa" and the airline should not insist on an onward flight.

They did not insist but they did recommend it due to potential problems at the other end. Was a tourist visa too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SamuiAddict said:

someone told me the airline may not board me without proof of onward travel?  Any advice please.

If this was a likely risk, showing up for check in a bit early with enough time to use airport wifi (or your own data) to book an onward flight would be advisable.

However, the rule I've almost always encountered (on many different airlines) is that while for visa exempt entry they want to see an onward flight, for a prearranged visa they don't. So if I had a visa I'd insist on speaking to a manager in the event of a problem before resorting to booking anything.

The only exception I've had with this was flying in on a new airline from Taipei where they didn't understand the rules. I had a triple entry visa and a return sector on a ticket to the UK, but the travel date was several months later. Luckily I managed to persuade them the ticket had changeable dates, and finally they let me board with this, but they were out of line to even ask for it. At a pinch, the next best option would have been an on the spot phone booking for an onward flight from Thailand to somewhere cheap within 60 days. 

6 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The only exception I've had with this was flying in on a new airline from Taipei where they didn't understand the rules

Wasn't there a post recently of someone flying from Phnom Penh to Bangkok on a small carrier that was trying to get $1000 payment from those without an onward flight, even those with retirement extensions and re-entry permits? 

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Wasn't there a post recently of someone flying from Phnom Penh to Bangkok on a small carrier that was trying to get $1000 payment from those without an onward flight, even those with retirement extensions and re-entry permits? 

Yes, I was thinking of that too when I typed the post. Similar circumstances - brand new airline, officious staff, misunderstanding of the rules. Unlikely to happen, but still possible.

For the OP though, Finnair has been one of the most popular scheduled airlines flying from UK in the past couple of years and has boarded countless passengers from the UK to Thailand. They'll be pretty much au fait with the visa rules, can't see any reason you'll have a problem. 

Edited by lamyai3

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

"Payment" or some sort of "bond" held until you cleared immigration in Thailand?

OP, an after thought, not visa related. You mentioned perhaps visiting Bali. Recently there was 2 separate news reports regarding Australians having trouble (refused boarding) flights oz to BALI. The problem was not visa related. There was VERY slight "damage" to passports. It was reported that the pp would have been OK elsewhere. It seems that Bali imm were causing problems for airlines by way of fines. 

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

"Payment" or some sort of "bond" held until you cleared immigration in Thailand?

Well it wasn't my post but my recollection is it sounded like a payment. 

How would they return a bond asked for in cash? 

Hi guys, thanks for the advice.

I also enquired with Finnair.  2 different chat operators have told me two different things. First told me forward air travel was a requirement and their website has restrictions on booking one way tickets.  I said no it didn't because I'd already booked a ticket.  The second told me a ticket to leave the country was required - but it could be an overland ticket and not necessarily a plane ticket.  I did tell both advisers about my Visa but they didn't even really acknowledge it.

So rather than take the risk at the airport (I hate check in anyway, can't be bothered with further potential complications) I've booked a £27 flight from BKK to Vietnam. 

And thanks for the heads up about Bali.  I've actually just got a brand new passport for this trip as my nearly 10 year old one was looking a bit worse for wear and I'm not planning on returning to the UK until Xmas.

Thanks again guys - its a lot of help this forum, really appreciated!  Can't wait to leave now, 15 days to go!

Just flew in to Bangkok airport and got to talking with another American about his travels.  He indicated that he had spent over seven months last year in Thailand on visa exempt and extensions.

He went to the counter and was quizzed for a couple of minutes about his onward flight out of Thailand.  He said that he did not have a paper copy of the onward flight but he could call it up on his phone.  After doing so, he was granted entry.

I had my follow on flight ready but was not asked for it.  I spent a total of about 40 days in Thailand last year.

One other thing that I have never seen before was that four people were having their bags inspected by customs and the desk was manned.  Do not know if it means anything.  They people looked like they were from western countries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well it wasn't my post but my recollection is it sounded like a payment. 

How would they return a bond asked for in cash? 

I don't know - sounds like a weird report.  It's far more than a return-flight would cost, even at "last minute" prices.