UK state pension

Terry2905

On 2/13/2019 at 12:32 AM, SheungWan said:

You might be better off considering having your pension at least initially paid into a UK bank if that is an option. In fact there are a number of reasons why it might not be a good idea to have burned one's boats on retirement. On the other hand you might already be non-resident and have de-facto residency elsewhere. It won't be Thailand.

Well said. I am considering doing the same thing. It seems to make the most sense.  

On 2/15/2019 at 7:04 AM, fredob43 said:

Get yourself an off shore bank account. All the major UK banks have those. Simple to get just go into your UK bank and apply for one. My one is in Jersey. You can have your pension payments paid into that, then transfer whatever you want to your Thai bank. As and when you require same. Just a phone call internet will sort that. Cash will arrive in your Thai bank around 2 days later. Would suggest you don't have your monies paid directly into your Thai bank from the pension peeps as you will loose on the exchange rate. 

N/B check what banks charge for the sending monies. My banks at either end don't charge anything. Can make a big difference. 

Why does he need an offshore account to do that? 

10 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Why does he need an offshore account to do that? 

If you had cared to look at what I was replying to you might not have to ask silly questions. But as you cant seem to look it up or understand. Answer, I was replying to the fact that being a non UK resident he might find it a problem to get a UK bank account so I suggested he get an Offshore one as that can be opened if you reside anywhere in the world. Got it now???

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

If you had cared to look at what I was replying to you might not have to ask silly questions. But as you cant seem to look it up or understand. Answer, I was replying to the fact that being a non UK resident he might find it a problem to get a UK bank account so I suggested he get an Offshore one as that can be opened if you reside anywhere in the world. Got it now???

Did he say he was a non-resident? Also it's not so easy to open an offshore account these days. 

17 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Did he say he was a non-resident? Also it's not so easy to open an offshore account these days. 

Page 1 OP talked about different bank for Non residents. So I suggested offshore. And it's easy to set one up whilst he's in the UK most of the UK banks have an offshore branch. Just go in with your bank details passport? and they will do it all for you. Can also be done via internet. You will have to set up an internet log in. You will then get a card with your details on it code No: ETC this is used for you phone calls, if you don't want to do it via the internet. N/B I never use the internet don't trust it. So I phone via skype and order what I want.  

Archived