Chiang Mai third most polluted city

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't I see a documentary on Chang Mai's air pollution a whiles a go and the hospital doctor was giving out face masks, the standard type and when approached had no idea that the 2.5 particles could travel through such a standard mask.....der

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The government needs to stop talking, and act. Are you there for the people, or not? 

Do you not know the answer to that?

It's the smae in most countries, governments don't care about the general population.. they just care about their jobs, getting rich and enjoying their lives. The general population is basically treated like livestock to bring in the money.

Also, a big percentage of people don't even care about their neighbours or other humans so long as they themselves are OK, and over here there is a great amount of what appears to be apathy about life.  

Seems nothing much has changed over the years.  It was flagged as the third worst in the world when I lived there over ten years ago.  Nothing get's done about it so you make your choice and hold your breath or head for the cleaner air elsewhere.  As grown-ups we can make those choices but if you have children then you should consider the consequences carefully.

Once again the PM is telling other authorities to sort out the problem. He will not accept any responsibility for the smog. He has his beloved S44 that he could use to stir things into action, but that is only if it benefits him.  Must be careful, there is an election coming up ! Spraying water into the air now seems to be the accepted answer. That does sweet FA !  The water evaporates and the dust is on the ground ready to go back into the air.  It never disappears, it will always be there and each year will get more and more. Too late Thailand. Wait till the hospitals are at bursting point, which won't take long.

5 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

One of the THREE reasons why I moved from there. Broke my heart, but......

I understand completely. If you want to relax and stay in an interesting location then places like Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are definitely worth a visit ... from about June to November. I recall arriving in May thinking that the pollution would be gone, only to walk around for three weeks with a mask on. If you stay there long term you’ll reduce your life expectancy. Health comes first. Probably best stick to the islands or coastal places like Pattaya or Hua Hin. 

Huge numbers of fires every day: Yesterday as I cycled from Mae Win to Mae Wang there were 4 fires by the side of the road. Meanwhile the air was so thick that I was astounded that people didn't have the sense to see they were adding to the problem. What's more the local Tambons are themselves burning km after km of verges: and while so doing they are burning tonnes of plastic at low temperatures, releasing dangerous toxins into the air.  That only leaves one question: Are these people mad?

What about those cities in China with terrible air pollution problems? Check out `Under the Dome`on Youtube, a doc (now banned in China) that examines the problem and how official pollutant particle figures there don`t tell the whole story. 

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

WHO standard is 25 micrograms per cubic metre; why is thailand double ? people breathe differently here ? or because thais realize they could never achieve the world standard ?

The  WHO standard is  set by the influence of smug countries that  insist on  dirty  manufacturing in someone elses country. 

16 hours ago, cmsally said:

People tried to organise a "protest" last year in CM and were threatened with arrest.

It does not matter. Civil disobedience can turn around a corrupt and hapless society. Something needs to be done. The constant threats of force cannot stop us! Tiny men behaving like tyrants will not work. 

Archived