Tourist bike missing - is it possible to backlist my entry to Thailand?

I visited Thailand and I rented out a motor bike and parked in a no parking zone, being ignorant. The police took the vehicle and asked me to come the next day morning. The next day morning, I went to the police station to collect my vehicle. But police said it's not there and asked me to come with the owner of the bike. Since, I had my return flight to my home country that day, I informed the owner to collect the vehicle from police station. He insisted me to take responsibity and return the bike. He called me repeatedly and I avoided his calls and returned to my home country. Will I be backlisted for this? Any chances? Thank you. 

Edited by Mmoor
Spell check
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Do you have any contact details for owner? Email etc. Personally I would try and sort it out with bike owner. Does he have your details? ie photocopy of passport or license etc. Can't see its related to immigration.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

I trust you offered to pay his expenses for a trip to the police station? he does run a business and it is not his job to drive all around the place because you illegally parked.

I agree. That's why I suggested he contact owner. He has his Thai number. Compensation will be required. If owner has his bike back maybe 500b fair?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I trust you offered to pay his expenses for a trip to the police station? he does run a business and it is not his job to drive all around the place because you illegally parked.

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Do you have any contact details for owner? Email etc. Personally I would try and sort it out with bike owner. Does he have your details? ie photocopy of passport or license etc. Can't see its related to immigration.

He has a photocopy of my passport

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Mmoor said:

He has a photocopy of my passport

As stated earlier about sorting it out with owner....it seems he has your deposit of 1000b, which is more than enough to cover his inconvenience. Just to put your mind at ease perhaps a phone call or email to explain your flight situation etc

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mmoor said:

He has my 1000 THB as advance.. so can he use that to get the bike back. Will I have problems in re-entering the country again. 

As already stated unless the owner of the bike has lodged a complaint of theft against you it is unlikely you will experience a problem. If a complaint has been lodged an arrest warrant may have been issued which will result in detention/arrest at the airport.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Mmoor said:

Thanks for all your response guys. Can I do a daring attempt to go to Thailand again? How do I know that the owner would have lodged a complaint against me. 

Given that the owner had your 1000 baht as compensation and should be able to get the bike back easily I doubt anything further would be done, especially since he knew you were leaving the country. Unfortunate situation, but it's easy to get a bike taken away on a parking charge and the rules are often far from clear. You went to the police to try and retrieve the bike, and then tried to explain to the owner, not really much else you could have done, so I wouldn't worry or let it affect your future travel plans. 

Incidentally, I'm not sure why the police required the owner to come with you. I've had a bike taken in Pattaya before and locked up in the remote compound in Soi Kohpai - the usual situation is you pay the fine and sort out the paperwork and then a motosai taxi takes you up there to pick up the bike. No owner involvement at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Given that the owner had your 1000 baht as compensation and should be able to get the bike back easily I doubt anything further would be done, especially since he knew you were leaving the country. Unfortunate situation, but it's easy to get a bike taken away on a parking charge and the rules are often far from clear. You went to the police to try and retrieve the bike, and then tried to explain to the owner, not really much else you could have done, so I wouldn't worry or let it affect your future travel plans. 

Incidentally, I'm not sure why the police required the owner to come with you. I've had a bike taken in Pattaya before and locked up in the remote compound in Soi Kohpai - the usual situation is you pay the fine and sort out the paperwork and then a motosai taxi takes you up there to pick up the bike. No owner involvement at all. 

We

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes. True that.. but I did not inform the bike owner that he had to come as per police instructions since I did not want to have further problems by asking for a huge sum of money and wanted to reach home safe. So worst case, can a theft case be issued against me and getting arrested at the airport. This is a minor crime to get arrested,  to park at a no parking zone which I did not notice the board .

20 minutes ago, Mmoor said:

Yes. True that.. but I did not inform the bike owner that he had to come as per police instructions since I did not want to have further problems by asking for a huge sum of money and wanted to reach home safe. So worst case, can a theft case be issued against me and getting arrested at the airport. This is a minor crime to get arrested,  to park at a no parking zone which I did not notice the board .

There is a risk you might have been scammed if you'd taken the owner down there. One example is if you didn't have a proper licence (eg a car licence from the west that doesn't cover motorbikes). The police never used to check this sort of thing but now it can be a problem, even though rental shops will overlook it. I don't see any good reason why the owner had to be present for a simple bike retrieval. 

What are the chances of getting deported from the airport? I did not commit a crime for deportation . Many drug dealers are freely traveling in the country. Let me know the odds of getting caught at the airport. Help me as I need to visit the country again

There was a twonk thread recently about motorcycle rentals requesting to keep the passport as a deposit, I can see why. 

If you plan on coming back send a email and attach a copy of the fine and your rental reciept(hopefully you got one showing police have the bike).

As another poster said explain your flight situation and tell them they can keep the bond of 1000 to pay 500 for fine and 500 for their trouble.  Atleast if your coming back you can show someone immigration etc you tried to sort it via email and your solution sounded reasonable.

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Unless there's a formal written contract, how would the cops know the guy who claims it has the owner's permission? 

Edit;  And by "formal", I mean one that's acceptable to the relevant authorities.  

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Unless there's a formal written contract, how would the cops know the guy who claims it has the owner's permission? 

Edit;  And by "formal", I mean one that's acceptable to the relevant authorities.  

There is - rental agreement is standard. 

9 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Partial Solution.

Have somebody in Thailand go to the rental shop. Before you go tell them the licence plate and make of the bike you had impounded.

Your friend then takes a photo of the bike you had impounded now back and up for rent. The owner cannot claim he never got it back.

This lessens your risk.

Even a carefully worded telephone enquiry could establish if they still had the bike. For instance I used to rent a particular Honda wave, I always would ask for the same bike by colour and registration number as it was a newer model with good tyres, brakes and engine. It'd be easy to make a similar such enquiry to the shop by phone, claiming to have rented the bike in the past and checking they've still it, and asking current rates or something. In any event, the chances of the owner not having the bike back are close to zero.

Incidentally, the bike shop owner I used was often out of town, and it was sometimes tricky finding him to return the bike, so the idea that the owner might be immediately available to go and collect it at the police station is unrealistic. This is hardly a standard requirement by the police on an impounded bike, something doesn't smell right. 

Edited by lamyai3

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not be blacklisted from entering the country.

The only could possibley have is the rental bike tried to claim you stolen it and went to the trouble to have you charged for it. Most would not bother with doing if they get the bike back. In the rare case of that happening you could could be detained on entry and arrested for theft.

Out of interest UJ, if the owner did manage to have him charged for theft, what's the statute of limitations on a case like that?

If it's not too long, perhaps the renter could delay their return in the hope the time limit may have expired.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Out of interest UJ, if the owner did manage to have him charged for theft, what's the statute of limitations on a case like that?

If it's not too long, perhaps the renter could delay their return in the hope the time limit may have expired.

Not sure but might be for years.

I cannot see how he could be charged for theft since he informed the owner that it was confiscated by police. I don't think the owner would have the ability get a charge of theft without some solid proof of it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure but might be for years.

I cannot see how he could be charged for theft since he informed the owner that it was confiscated by police. I don't think the owner would have the ability get a charge of theft without some solid proof of it.

hi Ubon,

this is something i was thinking. If i read and understood the story correctly... the bike taken by the police... And it looks like they..lost it... So the bike kind of stolen from the police park area... things are wrong here... 

yes, its OPs duty to get back the bike and pay all fees. But its the police station lost the bike.. So i think at this point OP has nothing with the problem. I would take 2 written and signed paper from the thai police that they lost the bike in the parking area. 1 original and copy to the rental office... 1 original for me just in case.

• Haha 1