Tourist bike missing - is it possible to backlist my entry to Thailand?

3 hours ago, problemfarang said:

this is something i was thinking. If i read and understood the story correctly... the bike taken by the police... And it looks like they..lost it... So the bike kind of stolen from the police park area... things are wrong here... 

The police didn't say they'd lost it, just that it wasn't there (parked at the police station). With the number of bikes they haul in every night, they use a large remote site for impounded bikes - in Pattaya for instance it's on Soi Khopai 3-4 km from the soi 9 police station. The bike taxis outside the station ferry people up there several times a day to retrieve their bikes after fine payment is settled. Unless procedures have changed recently there's never been a requirement for the bike owner to be present for this. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The chances of you having a problem when you enter the country are about zero I would say. I can say that due to reading and replying to similar cases over the years I have been on this forum.

You were gone already when the owner probably got the bike back. The police probably would of told the owner that they could not do anything since you were no longer in the country. It would do no good for them to expend the efforts to it since they would suspect you probably would never return. 

Thank you for clarifying.  I'm going to plan my vacation soon.. even if I don't get arrested, hope my entry to thailand isn't backlisted.. can you clarify this,?

Just now, Mmoor said:

Thank you for clarifying.  I'm going to plan my vacation soon.. even if I don't get arrested, hope my entry to thailand isn't backlisted.. can you clarify this,?

Gonna rent a bike from the same guy?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mmoor said:

You keep asking same question. Some sensible suggestions have been given. Some range from "do nothing" to little bit pro active. Very early I suggested you ring the guy. You mentioned he rang you few times and avoided answering (first mistake). A call from o/s is couple of bucks. Small cost to sort it out with owner. Anyway up to you. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mmoor said:

You can only be blacklisted if found guilty of a serious offense by a court. I am certain that has not happened since you were never charged with any offense.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, indepth said:

If owner has bike back, he aint gunna admit it. Come here again and you  will have to buy him a new one. Old con here comes to mind, rent a bike, it disapears from your place of stay, "stolen", you buy a new one as compo, once you leave the country, the bike is back at the bike shop.

how many times has that happen to you personally?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Unless procedures have changed recently there's never been a requirement for the bike owner to be present for this. 

So if i see a bike being taken away by the police i can just go to the police station, say that's mine and they give it to me?

Good advise form DrJack.

I would not trust the rental guy, and even if he did actually get the bike back, I would fully expect him to either deny it or claim that there are damages to the bike, like they always try and do. Seeing as you were out of the country, I very much doubt that the police would have acted on this, even if he denied ever getting the bike back.

However, if he has some friends in the plod, and was able to take this to court and get a conviction against you, you should be a bit more concerned. But even if they put a warrant out for your arrest, Thailand's IT systems are so bad you probably still wouldn't have any issues at the airport.

Easiest to try and contact the guy if you can remember the details and apologise, and find out what the situation is.

When I visited one of the islands when I was much younger, I got caught out by the way Thai bars charge you, i.e. all at the end. A few days after an all day boozing session with a friend (probably 10+ beers and many cocktails, can't remember if we had food), I realised that we had not paid our bill. Each of us thought that the other had paid it. I panicked, much like you are doing, but went back to bar and apologised profusely, they just told me it was no problem at all, but I still gave them 500B as a way of apology because I felt awful. They were very, very appreciative.

Even though this doesn't compare to losing a motorcycle, I think the moral is that if you are honest about it and try to rectify the situation, you are very unlikely to get into trouble.

Edited by pr9spk

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

So if i see a bike being taken away by the police i can just go to the police station, say that's mine and they give it to me?

Worth a try. Wouldn't suggest it though unless you've got the keys and the rental contract. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

If you have the rental agreement with plate number and model etc, I'm sure you can.

Perhaps the OP didn't have this, hence the need for the owner to attend.

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Where are the keys for the bike?

The guy below needs them!

4 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

If you have the rental agreement with plate number and model etc, I'm sure you can.

Perhaps the OP didn't have this, hence the need for the owner to attend.

• Haha 2

Call him and start with ''Hello, it is with Mr X. I just called the police and was happy to hear you got the motorbike back. I am sorry for the trouble but I had to catch a flight. So is everything OK now?''. Fair chance that ends well, he assumes you know the bike is back and otherwise hang up and take your chances to come anyway.

The average rental bikes are worth like 20,000 baht max. (islands even less as without license and papers) / Most certainly if you only deposited 1000 baht and not your passport as well. So that and 10,000 baht more for the police in the worst case as a reserve I guess.

Edited by tabarin

5 minutes ago, snowgard said:

If I am the owner of the bike I would report you to the police that you STOLE IT!!! You rent it and don't brought it back. No more to say!!!

If you rent a bike YOU have to bring it back. No one other. They don't know where the bike is. The police not would contact and inform they because they park it at a private place what charge  daily for parking.

And who would pay all costs what they have now (fine, parking, phone, staff, lost income, ...) because you don't brought it back? 

In my eyes you are a real bad ass and I would do everything for teach you a very good and hard lesson.

LOL you are over reacting big time aren't you? The owner most likely got it back that same day as he knew it was at the police and paid 500B fine while 1000B is deposited. So he did not lose rental income neither have other costs. He profited 1-2 day more rental income with the remaining 500B + SangSom time.

But I agree, really sloppy from the renter.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Motorbike rentals are always having to retrieve impounded bikes because the tourists can't figure out what to do, the police have recorded wrong licence details or some other problem. Of course, the rental owner would prefer to avoid such hastles, but he will just get one of his employers to retrieve the bike.

Don't worry about it. There is no way the owner/police are going to go to all the bother to issue an arrest warrant for such a trivial matter.

On 2/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, Mmoor said:

He has my 1000 THB as advance.. so can he use that to get the bike back. Will I have problems in re-entering the country again. 

No probs re-entering country but read on if he accuse's you of stealing it, you will have a problem............again with the 'I know a guy' story (Aussie)...........same same, he rented a Motorcycle, says he made arrangements with owner to pick it up the day he checked out of the hotel (Pattaya), left the keys with the desk.............owner claims bike wasn't there, and reported to Police..............6 months later, man re-enters Thailand, check into same hotel, police came and arrested him couple days later.........he spent 2 weeks in the monkey house, had to pay for the cost of the bike, PLUS rental fees for six months.  He is well known in the bar scene, spends 6 months a year in Australia gold fields, and 3 months in Thailand.  Cost him a pretty penny, think he is looking for a new vacation spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tabarin said:

LOL you are over reacting big time aren't you? The owner most likely got it back that same day as he knew it was at the police and paid 500B fine while 1000B is deposited. So he did not lose rental income neither have other costs. He profited 1-2 day more rental income with the remaining 500B + SangSom time.

??? Did you ever try to find your bike after the police took it away? This can be very horrorable. If it run bad you must drive to some places for find it. You loose a lot of time, need ar car/bike and a staff member who drive the bike back, ...!!! So the deposit will never be enough for that trouble. Maybe the bike have some scratches, something broken, ... !!!

No, I am not overreacting. The contract finish first when the bike is back at the shop. Point.
Him not brought it back, so him get his lesson.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tabarin said:

??? Did you ever try to find your bike after the police took it away? This can be very horrorable. If it run bad you must drive to some places for find it. You loose a lot of time, need ar car/bike and a staff member who drive the bike back, ...!!! So the deposit will never be enough for that trouble. Maybe the bike have some scratches, something broken, ... !!!

No, I am not overreacting. The contract finish first when the bike is back at the shop. Point.
Him not brought it back, so him will get his lesson.

But him are a lucky guy. It wasn't a bike from me. ???? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tabarin said:

LOL you are over reacting big time aren't you? The owner most likely got it back that same day as he knew it was at the police and paid 500B fine while 1000B is deposited.

They usually have stickers on them including phone number so no big deal, 'Hey, Sombat, got another one of yours, come get it'......

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Good point, but at the other hand, I've never heard of the plod impounding bicycles.

Since the very recent introduction of a 500 Baht fine for cycling while drunk, I'd expect that to change as the plod realise it's a new 'revenue scheme'.

12 hours ago, snowgard said:

Did you ever try to find your bike after the police took it away? This can be very horrorable. If it run bad you must drive to some places for find it.

Yes, it's in the impound lot where all the bikes are. The whole operation is run like a well-oiled machine (which is probably more than can be said of the bike). 

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I though the OP meant bike as in bicycle. I've never heard of anyone renting out a motorbike with only a 1000 baht deposit.

I rent motos very frequently and the deposit is always 1000 baht. They take a copy of your passport, you pay the rental(or the first month when more than a month) plus the 1000 and away you go. If they want more than 1000, then better find a better rental place.

Edited by gargamon
Spelling