Video: Multitasking minivan driver on the phone all the way to Rayong

webfact

Video: Multitasking minivan driver on the phone all the way to Rayong

9pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News said that a minivan driver was caught playing on his phone all the way from Bangkok to Rayong. 

The driver didn't care a jot for the safety of his passengers. 

One was filming and posted a clip of two and a half minutes duration. 

No one said anything as the driver looked down then up as he sped along the road. 

Daily News said this was the latest terrible case and the Department of Land Transport were looking into it.

The last one was on February 7th from a woman's minivan experience from Bangkok to Prajuab Khiri Khan. 

The company on that occasion was fined 5,000 baht when they could have been stung for 50,000 baht. 

It was not reported how much the driver paid - he faced a 5,000 baht fine for negligent driving and a further 5,000 baht for using a phone while driving. 

Daily News - who are running campaigns to improve road safety - said that adverse comment was rife online in the latest incident. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-13

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, webfact said:

No one said anything as the driver looked down then up as he sped along the road.

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

5 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

I totally agree. We see so often comment and videos about people who did something dangerous. But mostly people just look or take pictures or videos. And then, when something happens, people ask: Why did nobody do anything?

Two went past me swerving violently from lane to lane; inside and out.  Their speed was greatly in excess of the 80 limit.  I watched their antics as this behaviour continued into the distance.  The police car next to me did not seem to find anything untoward about their dangerous driving/speeding.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I totally agree. We see so often comment and videos about people who did something dangerous. But mostly people just look or take pictures or videos. And then, when something happens, people ask: Why did nobody do anything?

Why did nobody do anything?

Because the driver would lose face.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:
8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And is that reason enough to ignore his dangerous behavior?

Oh, sorry, we had this terrible accident. I saw it coming because the driver didn't watch the road. But I didn't want to ask him because he would lose face...

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Oh, sorry, we had this terrible accident. I saw it coming because the driver didn't watch the road. But I didn't want to ask him because he would lose face...

and i was afraid he would have to shoot me then.

20 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Sometimes the result could be the same. Best to not use their sevices, as many  of them are morons.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Well mate sadly Thais will not speak up if there is a possibility someone will lose face.

As i have posted before Thais will commit murder before they will lose face.

23 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Many of them do this, on the phone the entire trip, if everyone complained it would stop overnight but they are  happier to just laugh at you if  you are the only  one complaining, go home  whitey is probably what they think

13 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I won’t hesitate to tell a taxi driver to get off his phone. I tell them in Thai that it’s too dangerous and either put the phone down or let me out and I’m not paying. Their choice. They always put the phone down. Same goes for speeding. 

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Point taken of course.

My Thai son very occasionally takes van either himself or with his wife and kids, (last resort).

Any sign of poor driving he politely tells the driver to stop at the next village or whatever and gets out. Then organizes other transport. He's done this twice from my knowledge over a period of 3 or 4 years.

He's mentioned, that he's lucky he has a few more Baht in his wallet and he can call me to do internet bank transfer if he needs bigger money quickly, but his point is 90% of the passengers very likely don't have enough cash to pay another full fare.

Sad. 

25 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Daily News said this was the latest terrible case and the Department of Land Transport were looking into it.

Looking into it, yet nothing will change. 

The van driver was also looking into it, his mobile phone, that is.

Said it many times on TVF - I believe this is the No1 cause of accidents on Thai roads, all accidents I have witnessed as a pedestrian the driver had his face buried in a mobile phone, all bad driving I have witnessed while driving - the drivers have had their face buried in a mobile phone.

About town many drivers have their phone on a dashboard holder of some sort right in front of them.

It is impossible to be in full control of a vehicle and fully aware and concentrating on driving if you have your face buried in a mobile phone are surfing facebook, it is at epidemic proportions in Thailand - take a look around as you go about the place and count how many people you see "with their face buried in a mobile phone" you will give up counting very quickly

PS - I bet the person/idiot in the OP is wearing reading glasses

12 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I won’t hesitate to tell a taxi driver to get off his phone. I tell them in Thai that it’s too dangerous and either put the phone down or let me out and I’m not paying. Their choice. They always put the phone down. Same goes for speeding. 

Yes mate i would do the same, but Thais wont.

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

Just never get into one, problem solved. If the Thais want to kill themselves then thats their problem

That's about as thoughtless a comment as you could imagine.  The vehicle coming around the corner in the middle of the road driven by an idiot texting hits whatever is in the way: an animal, a lady cyclist, a family car filled with kids or a busload of tourists.  You may be in one of them.

I've taught my Thai stepson to speak up or get out if he sees the driver is a danger and to his credit he's had the courage to do it a couple of times.

55 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Two went past me swerving violently from lane to lane; inside and out.  Their speed was greatly in excess of the 80 limit.  I watched their antics as this behaviour continued into the distance.  The police car next to me did not seem to find anything untoward about their dangerous driving/speeding.

There is  good reason why the police did not find anything untoward, firstly, they are probably only slightly better trained when it comes to driving, but more probable was that they were on the phone at the time....... 

18 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Sad, but in this dated culture the person speaking up would probably lose face too for saying something.

Plus given the history of this matter:

- Some / many passengers would be frightened of abuse or even violence from the driver.

- Similar from other passengers who don't care about the drivers behaviors (plenty of these folks around).

- The driver might throw them out of the van in the middle of no where.

44 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Point taken, and I do similar, however I'll bet there are plenty of taxi drivers / all drivers who don't even know it's against the law to use your phone while driving.

30 minutes ago, smedly said:

Said it many times on TVF - I believe this is the No1 cause of accidents on Thai roads, all accidents I have witnessed as a pedestrian the driver had his face buried in a mobile phone, all bad driving I have witnessed while driving - the drivers have had their face buried in a mobile phone.

About town many drivers have their phone on a dashboard holder of some sort right in front of them.

It is impossible to be in full control of a vehicle and fully aware and concentrating on driving if you have your face buried in a mobile phone are surfing facebook, it is at epidemic proportions in Thailand - take a look around as you go about the place and count how many people you see "with their face buried in a mobile phone" you will give up counting very quickly

PS - I bet the person/idiot in the OP is wearing reading glasses

I witnessed an accident the other week. A brand new Fortuna came round the curve towards me, well across the centre line of the road. Jammed on his brakes, back end slid out and he went off the road at right angles into a wall. (Tyre pressures stupidly high I expect). I got to the wreck less than a minute after impact, wrenched the driver's door open. He was sitting there, shocked but uninjured, holding his mobile phone in his right hand. It was displaying a Facebook messenger chat sequence...

Archived