Video: Multitasking minivan driver on the phone all the way to Rayong

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my reckoning he actually only looks at the road for around 50-55 seconds during this video.  I dare say it will gain some traction on Facebook but it really could use some serious international publicity - enough to wake TAT up and get them to pressure the people who can at least make the penalties severe enough to give lunatics like this pause for thought.

The last time a farang stood up to a minivan driver about his dangerous driving habits, the Thai man stopped the van and shouted

“why you scare? Thai people don’t scare” 

Perhaps if the man looked into the Thai road death statistics he’d know why they ‘scare’ 

There lies the problem, losing face by telling them they are doing their job incorrectly means no one stands up to them. 

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Wouldn't it be easy to have compulsory CCTV in every van with Internet connection and recording at a central police station or a TAT center - or tourist police?

(Oh, yes, if they only would)

And you think they've got time to watch it all day when they are busy counting money, making coffee, putting whiskey in plain bottles ready for evening shift and answering people on the phone wanting to pay them money for 'investigating' crime ?

Shaming them on social media seems to be the only safe way to go... face to face confrontation usually ends up badly for someone !!

That's why no-one will speak up at the time... but post later !

I hope his public shaming will lead to some sort of punishment.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

I don't condone not speaking up when necessary, but in this country, speaking up may also be an invitation to a bat to land on the face or worse, a bullet in the head. One doesn't know what the driver is packing. Also, in this country, one can't count on the fellow-passengers/passers-by to come to one's aid, even if you're not wrong. Textbook example of being stuck in-between a rock and a hard place, I'd say. Best to avoid these death-trap minivans and drive yourself to your destination, if that is possible.

Personally, I wish gits like these drove off cliffs and into deep ravines - alone! - and never to be found. It's not a problem exclusive to Thai drivers, to be fair. You get a lot of gits like these on Malaysian roads too.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Wouldn't it be easy to have compulsory CCTV in every van with Internet connection and recording at a central police station or a TAT center - or tourist police?

(Oh, yes, if they only would)

they supposedly have "gps" installed on every van to monitor the speeds, but....as all things in thailand go

Not using minivans is a start, but it's not enough. Drivers that behave this way are still 'in charge' of uncontrolled missiles that hit other vehicles and people. I sincerely hope Land Transport, Police and Media make some improvements safety. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I believe this is the No1 cause of accidents on Thai roads, all accidents I have witnessed as a pedestrian the driver had his face buried in a mobile phone, all bad driving I have witnessed while driving - the drivers have had their face buried in a mobile phone.

If this is the case, and it could very well be, I think mobile phone manufacturers should be made responsible to some extent and pay financial compensations to victims.

Yes I know some of you will say that 'you can't teach stupid', and the manufacturers knew this. Pure greed.

I wouldn't give him any benefit of the doubt - about calling it 'multitasking' - not one little bit!

I am pretty divided on multiplexing an already divided half a brain, into even smaller chunks.

Hope the BiB give no quarter to shredding the idiot!

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

True, I got told to keep quiet when asked the taxi driver to slow to 80 kph when doing an unsafe 100 kph and no seat belts in the back seats. 

I think you are all mistaken...this goes back to deeply held Buddhist beliefs of karma and reincarnation and mythological folklore of lunar alignment and baravdhas human embodiment of the monkey god Jutarama.

This Thainess is the reason I love this country and its culture so much...that selfless devotion to harmony and understanding and doing unto others as they would have done u to them. 

The careless driving resulting in 60 or 70 deaths a day, rampant corruption, utter disregard for others lives, stray dogs, totally apathy to everything combined with ignorance of everything outside of Facebook and what is for the next meal.

Thainess and Thailand, the land of smiles and the perfect people and culture.

If you don’t like it then go home and good riddance...Amazing Thailand does not need you. 

I am off to the temple now dressed in my 18th century Thai outfit to ask the monks if I should change my name and how much will it cost for the sage advice.

9pm_VI.jpg.d10c15a6e00e297fa4394ada6f6f9dd4.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News said that a minivan driver was caught playing on his phone all the way from Bangkok to Rayong. 

The driver didn't care a jot for the safety of his passengers. 

One was filming and posted a clip of two and a half minutes duration. 

No one said anything as the driver looked down then up as he sped along the road. 

Daily News said this was the latest terrible case and the Department of Land Transport were looking into it.

The last one was on February 7th from a woman's minivan experience from Bangkok to Prajuab Khiri Khan. 

The company on that occasion was fined 5,000 baht when they could have been stung for 50,000 baht. 

It was not reported how much the driver paid - he faced a 5,000 baht fine for negligent driving and a further 5,000 baht for using a phone while driving. 

Daily News - who are running campaigns to improve road safety - said that adverse comment was rife online in the latest incident. 

Source: Daily News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-13   [/url]
What minivan driver in Thailand isnt on the phone texting while driving is the real question???

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9pm_VI.jpg.d10c15a6e00e297fa4394ada6f6f9dd4.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News said that a minivan driver was caught playing on his phone all the way from Bangkok to Rayong. 

The driver didn't care a jot for the safety of his passengers. 

One was filming and posted a clip of two and a half minutes duration. 

No one said anything as the driver looked down then up as he sped along the road. 

Daily News said this was the latest terrible case and the Department of Land Transport were looking into it.

The last one was on February 7th from a woman's minivan experience from Bangkok to Prajuab Khiri Khan. 

The company on that occasion was fined 5,000 baht when they could have been stung for 50,000 baht. 

It was not reported how much the driver paid - he faced a 5,000 baht fine for negligent driving and a further 5,000 baht for using a phone while driving. 

Daily News - who are running campaigns to improve road safety - said that adverse comment was rife online in the latest incident. 

Source: Daily News

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-13   [/url]
And the moment when a major accident happens, and passengers lives are lost, the families will only receive 5,000 baht each that lost a love one.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

ever tried to reason with a minivan driver?? i would try reason with a drunk muay thai fighter . u got more of a chance to survive that!

1 hour ago, balo said:

Just stay away from mini vans. It doesn't matter if the drivers play with their phone or not , they are still lousy drivers. 

Poor and ignorant people take mini vans. That includes foreigners. And by ignorant I mean they either know the danger and go anyway, or they don’t know the danger because they are a tourist.

Just now, dcnx said:

Poor and ignorant people take mini vans. That includes foreigners. And by ignorant I mean they either know the danger and go anyway, or they don’t know the danger because they are a tourist.

Or like you they don't know anything about Thailand.  The mini van may be the only alternative since they have cancelled many bus routes. 

Archived