Video: Multitasking minivan driver on the phone all the way to Rayong

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my reckoning he actually only looks at the road for around 50-55 seconds during this video.  I dare say it will gain some traction on Facebook but it really could use some serious international publicity - enough to wake TAT up and get them to pressure the people who can at least make the penalties severe enough to give lunatics like this pause for thought.

The last time a farang stood up to a minivan driver about his dangerous driving habits, the Thai man stopped the van and shouted

“why you scare? Thai people don’t scare” 

Perhaps if the man looked into the Thai road death statistics he’d know why they ‘scare’ 

There lies the problem, losing face by telling them they are doing their job incorrectly means no one stands up to them. 

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

Wouldn't it be easy to have compulsory CCTV in every van with Internet connection and recording at a central police station or a TAT center - or tourist police?

(Oh, yes, if they only would)

And you think they've got time to watch it all day when they are busy counting money, making coffee, putting whiskey in plain bottles ready for evening shift and answering people on the phone wanting to pay them money for 'investigating' crime ?

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

They would probably risk death if they spoke up. These so called drivers usually carry a selection of weapons

Shaming them on social media seems to be the only safe way to go... face to face confrontation usually ends up badly for someone !!

That's why no-one will speak up at the time... but post later !

I hope his public shaming will lead to some sort of punishment.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

I don't condone not speaking up when necessary, but in this country, speaking up may also be an invitation to a bat to land on the face or worse, a bullet in the head. One doesn't know what the driver is packing. Also, in this country, one can't count on the fellow-passengers/passers-by to come to one's aid, even if you're not wrong. Textbook example of being stuck in-between a rock and a hard place, I'd say. Best to avoid these death-trap minivans and drive yourself to your destination, if that is possible.

Personally, I wish gits like these drove off cliffs and into deep ravines - alone! - and never to be found. It's not a problem exclusive to Thai drivers, to be fair. You get a lot of gits like these on Malaysian roads too.

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Wouldn't it be easy to have compulsory CCTV in every van with Internet connection and recording at a central police station or a TAT center - or tourist police?

(Oh, yes, if they only would)

they supposedly have "gps" installed on every van to monitor the speeds, but....as all things in thailand go

Not using minivans is a start, but it's not enough. Drivers that behave this way are still 'in charge' of uncontrolled missiles that hit other vehicles and people. I sincerely hope Land Transport, Police and Media make some improvements safety. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

I believe this is the No1 cause of accidents on Thai roads, all accidents I have witnessed as a pedestrian the driver had his face buried in a mobile phone, all bad driving I have witnessed while driving - the drivers have had their face buried in a mobile phone.

If this is the case, and it could very well be, I think mobile phone manufacturers should be made responsible to some extent and pay financial compensations to victims.

Yes I know some of you will say that 'you can't teach stupid', and the manufacturers knew this. Pure greed.

Archived