Video: Multitasking minivan driver on the phone all the way to Rayong

webfact

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

I went on a visa run once to Malaysia, from Phuket and the only time.

Never got into a mini van again.

The mini van driver drove like a demon.

When everybody in the van screamed at him to slow down, he just put the volume of the music up and drove faster. Dumb ©nut.

He managed to kill three dogs along the way and also crashed into an earthen wall at a garage.

And that is why people dont say anything, they are too busy praying.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

I went on a visa run once to Malaysia, from Phuket and the only time.

Never got into a mini van again.

The mini van driver drove like a demon.

When everybody in the van screamed at him to slow down, he just put the volume of the music up and drove faster. Dumb ©nut.

He managed to kill three dogs along the way and also crashed into an earthen wall at a garage.

And that is why people dont say anything, they are too busy praying.

I'm guessing it's been a while ago.  Now they have numbers to call inside the van to report unsafe driving. 

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I totally agree. We see so often comment and videos about people who did something dangerous. But mostly people just look or take pictures or videos. And then, when something happens, people ask: Why did nobody do anything?

Maybe they keep their mouth shut to have a chance to arrive at destination they have paid for and not thrown off somewhere in-between when speaking up as the chances to meet a better driver in another minivan is rather unlikely ....

So to take a video and share it can make a future difference for all by highlighting it through media  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, mike324 said:

they supposedly have "gps" installed on every van to monitor the speeds, but....as all things in thailand go

Speed wasn't the issue here and in many other cases.  What someone needs to invent and install in these vehicles is a DSM (Driver Stupidity Monitor).

To all the contributors to this thread who cited the reasons why they and others don't challenge the driver and speak up in situations like this, I say consider the initiative (not to say courage, if you really think the guy might have turned violent) of the person who took the video and support their action by sending a link to everyone you know, particularly at home, wherever that may be.  Shaming this kind of behaviour is the only way to make a difference in this country.

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

…and therein lies the problem, people would rather risk death than speak up. Enjoy your next minivan ride!

Yes, Thai are so s...... Enjoy the afterlife life together with the driver and rest of passengers 

I had a bus driver on his tablet on his steering wheel. I took video of him, and told my wife he was dangerous. She told the steward lady the farang is not happy, and she told him.....he stopped immediately. Nobody lost face....end of story. Thais will not speak up in most situations. Our son was in hospital for days with the flu. On the second day a doctor came to see him, and another didn't come for 28 hours. I lodged a written complaint with the hospital.....my lady wouldn't say much of anything. They think doctors are gods. I always check the medicines they prescribe. One recently was banned in Europe and the USA....it went in the trash. Another was for mental illness for my lady's period issues.....in the trash. Crazy stuff.

I had a bus driver on his tablet on his steering wheel. I took video of him, and told my wife he was dangerous. She told the steward lady the farang is not happy, and she told him.....he stopped immediately. Nobody lost face....end of story. Thais will not speak up in most situations. Our son was in hospital for days with the flu. On the second day a doctor came to see him, and another didn't come for 28 hours. I lodged a written complaint with the hospital.....my lady wouldn't say much of anything. They think doctors are gods. I always check the medicines they prescribe. One recently was banned in Europe and the USA....it went in the trash. Another was for mental illness for my lady's period issues.....in the trash. Crazy stuff.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

To all the contributors to this thread who cited the reasons why they and others don't challenge the driver and speak up in situations like this, I say consider the initiative (not to say courage, if you really think the guy might have turned violent) of the person who took the video and support their action by sending a link to everyone you know, particularly at home, wherever that may be.  Shaming this kind of behaviour is the only way to make a difference in this country.

I didn't.  I actually live in Thailand and ride vans.  If the driver is speeding you call the number on the inside of the van and complain. 

I am surprised you don't know this.  Never ridden in a "Loat Du" (van in Thai)

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

Two went past me swerving violently from lane to lane; inside and out.  Their speed was greatly in excess of the 80 limit.  I watched their antics as this behaviour continued into the distance.  The police car next to me did not seem to find anything untoward about their dangerous driving/speeding.

Because the police drive in exactly the same stupid careless fashion so they see nothing wrong, on top of which I do not know anyone who has ever been able to educate pork

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why did nobody do anything?

Because the driver would lose face.

Right, an uncertain death from crashing in a minivan is better odds than the certainty of getting your head chopped off with a machete by an insulted driver. TiT.

This farang if in that van would have been demanding the driver to stop that. Whatever the driver would do to me in return I would be ready for. Who gives a shit about the driver losing face when he is unnecessarily risking my life which I will not allow him to do.

9 hours ago, dcnx said:

No one said anything.

Sums it up. One of these days Thais will hopefully stop kowtowing and stick up for themselves. 

The carnage continues.

It will change- but at the bottom of this and many other problems lies a cultural and educational problem.  kowtowing to your elders and supposedly "superiors" and the outdated "rote-learning" in Thai schools.  Most other Asian schools have left this outdated system years ago.  Not Thailand!  With more and more Thai families able to afford international schools, we will hopefully see more teenage idols from this class speaking up for themselves and encourage their peers to do likewise. I hope.

9 hours ago, dcnx said:

No one said anything.

Sums it up. One of these days Thais will hopefully stop kowtowing and stick up for themselves. 

The carnage continues.

Unfortunately it seems to be going in the other direction, with Thais getting a hefty dose of the good old sakdina just last Friday. Obey thy masters voice.

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

Two went past me swerving violently from lane to lane; inside and out.  Their speed was greatly in excess of the 80 limit.  I watched their antics as this behaviour continued into the distance.  The police car next to me did not seem to find anything untoward about their dangerous driving/speeding.

They didn't have an accident though so what's the problem????? ????????????

I hope Daily News not let this go and follow up on this driver. The power is in writing about this so that the people learn about it. I would like to see what fine he gets. If he get one. Even better he should lose he´s job.

25 minutes ago, lucifer666 said:

I see this dozens of times a day with motorcycle drivers.

Yes, and it has even changed our sexual habits where the choice of position is based on that we simultaneously can be active on social media where the missionary position is out and the doggy style is more popular than ever ....

Two days ago got a taxi from Bang Yai to Suvarnabhumi Airport, 55km and 100 min ride, while the driver was watching video from his phone on the instrument panel for the entire trip.. Lack of concentration behind the wheel and speed all over the place. 

This was a Grab taxi so a bad review and report goes back to base.. No doubt he'll be not riding for Grab for a while.. 

First time I've had a Grab where the driver wasn't professional.. 

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Typical, I also enjoy when they drive like NASCAR drivers, that they draft as close as possible the car in front, knowing (or in their case oblivious) to the fact that a mini-van with 15 people on-board can't possibly stop when riding 2 feet from the bumper in front of them.

10 hours ago, overherebc said:

They didn't have an accident though so what's the problem????? ????????????

I didn't follow them all the way to their final destination so don't if they missed everyone.  Hopefully they missed you on their madcap journey.

Archived