Usa consul Phuket visit ? When is next one ?

glassdude007

Im trying to renew my minor sons usa pasport, He is in Thailand i am in USA.

Anybody know the next usa conalur vist to Phuket  so his thai mom can go renue his usa passport

along with all my info and forms that may be require. Trying to avoid a trip to Bangkok for them.

thanks

The direct answer to your question is that no one knows as there is no longer an official schedule of outreach visits from the US Embassy Bangkok.  However, there are supposed to be three visits made in 2019 to Phuket (down from four in 2018).  One imagines they will be roughly quarterly.  The last one in 2018 was the end of November, so one can imagine the next might be March.  To find out exactly the date is released 10-14 days before the actual date to people who sign up for that notice visa the STEP program (how to enroll is given in a later link).

Some considerations:

If your son is 16+ then he qualifies for an adult passport which can be obtained by mail.

However, if he is 0-15 then it must be done in person at the outreach or in Bangkok.  A wrinkle for children is that both parents are expected to be present to request the passport.  In the event that one cannot be, then they need to fill out a form DS-3053 which gives your permission for your son to get his passport renewed.  It has to be stamped by a notary.  All the details involved are explained in gory detail at:  https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/minor-passport-renew/

One other consideration I mention for people who have not recently attended an outreach session.  You must pay for everything with a bank draft, no other means are allowed.  Here's the notice from the November 2018 outreach which I'm included because it gives the details of how to pay for services.  Also note that you will need two bank drafts: one to pay for your son's passport and one to pay for getting it mailed back via EMS (100 baht).  These need to be separate.

Gory details of that process:  https://th.usembassy.gov/consular-outreach-phuket-112918/

One other hurdle, you son will need a Social Security number if he doesn't already have (details at above link for minor passport renewal).

Finally, do yourself a favor and sign up for the STEP program and you will receive detailed emails like the one above (November 2018 outreach event).  Emails are sent rarely, usually only to announce the outreach events. 

https://step.state.gov/step/

I am not sure they are going to have the outreaches anymore since most people who were attending them for income affidavits and those are no longer done.

They have none shown on the outreach schedule page. 

I suggest you contact them about them but I think the answer will be  they are not going to have them anymore or they say they don't know when the next one will be.

• 11 months later...