BANGKOK 19 March 2019 12:30
Arthur Mullard

New Requirements - Notarising Degree Cert.

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Apologies, is this regarding...?

Work permit

Application B visa

Is anyone aware if this affects other passport holders to date?

It might be a requirement of British curriculum schools that filtered down to Thai bureaucracy somehow. For all intents and purposes only UK nationals work in these schools. Maybe Immigration has had lots of diploma fraud from individuals claiming degrees from UK.

Did I not read some Americans had this issue as well? Wasn't it for the B visa?

It is not for any of these. It is for a degree certificate so it can be accepted by the Thai authorities for teaching in schools. A quirk for Brits to go through for some crazy reason.

• Like 1

I had to show the TCT a notarized copy of my degree when applying for a Teacher's License.  Fortunately, the US embassy will still notarize degrees, so this is not as difficult for us as it is for our friends from the UK.

18 hours ago, worrab said:

It is not for any of these. It is for a degree certificate so it can be accepted by the Thai authorities for teaching in schools. A quirk for Brits to go through for some crazy reason.

The US has a nation-wide degree clearinghouse that can certify a degree.   There is a small fee, but once the basic information is submitted, within a day or so, an email is sent that certifies the information on the person, the degree received, the date conferred etc.  

In the past the Immigration has accepted the copies of the degree along with the certification.    The transcript has to be original and more recently has to be an unopened copy sent directly from the University.  

For people in the UK, there is no clearing house and some schools have changed hands and confirmation as to the authenticity of the degree cannot be obtained.   Apparently, some schools also conferred a degree, but with no transcript.  

We have been unable to get a Teacher's License for those applicants.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, worrab said:

Well, I have my license so no worries there. Thank you.

I suspect there was a spate of teacher's from UK with bad degrees. It's a ridiculous criterion. They should be verifying themselves if it's that important.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1