BANGKOK 19 March 2019 12:57
DonDoRondo

Direct flights CNX to Vietnam

There are no customs checks at either Bangkok airport on departure. The passport control process would be the same as there or Chiang Mai. Not sure why you want to avoid Bangkok in that case except it may be cheaper to fly from Chiang Mai direct.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, Mavideol said:

did you try to visit vietjet airways....

I booked a direct flight CNX-SGN ( Ho Chi Minh )   with VietJet last month.

Be aware that they do not fly on Mondays-Wednesday-Saturday.

Never had a problem with them.  My sister that will be with me and she booked SGN-DAD with them too.

They are usually strict on carry-on allocation.

I just checked Aviation Satety Network web site.

VietJet founded 2011.  No accident reported yet,

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

Never had a problem with them.  My sister that will be with me and she booked SGN-DAD with them too.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Hanoi-freezes-Vietjet-flight-expansion-after-safety-incidents

16 hours ago, cnx355 said:

If they continue to land on the wrong runway which from memory hadn’t been completed the situation regarding no accidents may change.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, Mahseer said:

Any particular reason Da Nang? It's a full on city these days and growing by the day. If you are looking for a more relaxed pace consider Nha Trang. It is a very popular beach destination but you don't have to travel far to find deserted beaches, countryside and mountains.

No idea on international flights but there are flights between the two so check them both if you wish.

Lots of flights from Bangkok to Da Nang (from both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang) - you have Vietnam Airlines, Viet Jet Air, Bangkok Airways and finally Thai Air Asia. So many Thais fly to Da Nang that there are agents selling SIM cards at the airport that can speak Thai!

However, there is nothing from Chiang Mai - only Hanoi (Bangkok Airways) and Ho Chi Minh/Saigon (Vietjet Air). Still, this is better than a few years ago, when there was nothing, only Bangkok-Vietnam flights were on offer. You also have Phuket-Saigon now (also operated by Vietjet Air). Too bad THAI Airways (or THAI Smile) hasn't gotten the message that not everyone wants to fly to/from BKK.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, emptypockets said:

There are no customs checks at either Bangkok airport on departure. The passport control process would be the same as there or Chiang Mai. Not sure why you want to avoid Bangkok in that case except it may be cheaper to fly from Chiang Mai direct. 

I would avoid Bangkok because of the huge overcrowding at customs and immigration. Chiang mai is a breeze by comparison.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, Mahseer said:

Any particular reason Da Nang? It's a full on city these days and growing by the day. If you are looking for a more relaxed pace consider Nha Trang. It is a very popular beach destination but you don't have to travel far to find deserted beaches, countryside and mountains.

No idea on international flights but there are flights between the two so check them both if you wish.

Da Nang is a terrible place to be during their short (but very wet) wet season that runs between approximately the second week of December and early February. Flooding is not uncommon - I was lucky to have escaped the worst flooding in it's history when I flew in a few days after the whole city was underwater last December. Check out the local English language news for details of this natural disaster.

Nha Trang is much better weather-wise - it also has a short rainy season during the same period as Da Nang, but rain is lighter, you have a greater chance of sunshine and torrential rain is uncommon. I was so glad to arrive in Nha Trang to a nice partly cloudy afternoon after escaping the heavily cloudy and at times rainy Da Nang last year.

Both Bangkok Airways and Thai Air Asia have recently begun direct flights from Bangkok to Nha Trang (though there's nothing from Chiang Mai at the moment; would have to transit via Bangkok or Hanoi/Saigon).

Actually, if you ask me Nha Trang is more "full on" than Da Nang. Da Nang consists of a busy Vietnamese city, and a long beach. The city beach section has many high-rises but apart from a few Korean package tourists here and there doesn't seem to have a particularly busy vibe to it. It may get busy during TET but so does the whole country and then we're talking busy with local Vietnamese, not foreigners. Large resorts are spread along the coast down towards Hoi An. Hoi An itself is packed with tourists, but Da Nang is so spread out it never feels busy. Nha Trang on the other hand, is packed full of backpackers and Chinese/Russian package tourists. It's busy all year round. If you want a more relaxed pace, then Mui Ne is the place to go. Also, Mui Ne is at it's best between October and April during the dry season. Rain is rare, and temperatures during this time of year tend to be a full 5-6 degrees higher than in Nha Trang. It's amazing what a few mountains and 250km of distance can do.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:45 AM, terryw said:

Vietjet have flights every hour from Hanoi to Da Nang.

Hoi An which is 30 minutes from Da Nang airport is a much better option for expats.

Really want to go back to Hoi An one day.