Is an affirmation of single really needed

Baldrik

Hi everyone,

I have lived in Thailand for 4 years now.  In that time I have not at any stage returned to Australia.  Now I have a divorce certificate from Chiang Mai when my wife and I get divorced back in 2014 and I'm wondering as I've not gone back to Australia since then why is it necessary to have a statutory declaration as well?  Is this only a Bangkok thing?  if we go out to the provinces will they just accept the divorce certificate as enough?  Or is my Thai partner not explaining the situation clearly enough when she rings the people at the amphur?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as we need to get this paperwork sorted out so we can finalise buying a house up in Nong Khai.

Before anyone says anything yes I went to the embassy today to get a statutory declaration and found out about the need to have an appointment, first time I've had to go to the embassy in over 3 years.  The earliest appointment I can get is in March.  So looking for a way around it ????

I had a similar situation some 15 years ago. Divorced abroad while continuously living on thailand. I had an English translation of the divorce paper chopped by the country's embassy. Married at an amphur office in north Bangkok, no additional questions asked.

17 hours ago, Baldrik said:

Yes, the rules are the rules but this is Thailand and the rules do not always stay the same as you go to different parts of the country ????

I had a divorce from UK wife while out here in Asia. A few years later my Thai wife and myself were planning on getting married at some point and had started getting all the paperwork together. If I remember correctly the "Affirmation" has to be sent to the ministry of foreign affairs (Ithink) after being translated and verified in Thai. I know at the time it was a bit of a pain.

We had all the papers in place to get married here but we ran out of time due to work commitments. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we ended up getting married in the Thai Embassy in China - they asked for NOTHING regarding the "affirmation" Went in for a Non O visa and came out with a visa and a wife! in an hour!

Yes you do need it, but only if you are going to registrar the marriage with the local Amphur. I imagine that is what you mean, so you will have to produce the affirmation, duly translated and notarised, when you go to register your marriage.  Bit of advice, get the Amphur to give you several copies of the marriage certificate.  Then get it translated and notarised and keep some around.  You will be surprised how often you need to produce one, both here and in the UK.  Even my pension provider needed to see one, as did the insurance company when we went to get joint life insurance. .   

Good luck and congratulations in advance. 

21 hours ago, Baldrik said:

I'm wondering as I've not gone back to Australia since then why is it necessary to have a statutory declaration as well?  Is this only a Bangkok thing?  if we go out to the provinces will they just accept the divorce certificate as enough?  Or is my Thai partner not explaining the situation clearly enough when she rings the people at the amphur?

You need it; the form is part of the process to get married in Thailand. I would be very surprised if you found a District Office that married you without it. This is because the MFA places a numbered seal on the translation they certify, and this number is written into the marriage certificate you sign to become married. The contents of that marriage certificate are held on a central database.

Why would a district official complete the document in an improper manner that is always attributable to them? And then why would a senior district official sign that document? If you are married incorrectly then further on down the line there could be questions about your children's right to foreign citizenship; the division of assets upon breakdown of the relationship; custody of your children, etc. It would be entirely possible to sue the district official who didn't do their job correctly and created all of these problems, and the district officials know this.

4 hours ago, Formaleins said:

I had a divorce from UK wife while out here in Asia. A few years later my Thai wife and myself were planning on getting married at some point and had started getting all the paperwork together. If I remember correctly the "Affirmation" has to be sent to the ministry of foreign affairs (Ithink) after being translated and verified in Thai. I know at the time it was a bit of a pain.

We had all the papers in place to get married here but we ran out of time due to work commitments. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we ended up getting married in the Thai Embassy in China - they asked for NOTHING regarding the "affirmation" Went in for a Non O visa and came out with a visa and a wife! in an hour!

One out of two isn't too bad!!

55 minutes ago, Suitcase said:

Why complicate things!

Do as most Thais do, live together and say they are married.

No amphur, no paper work, and easy divorce.

Visas both here and for travel out of Thailand, inheritance,  Thai government requirements, insurance , joint ownership of property and assets. expat protection,  just a few reasons to marry legally here.  

5 hours ago, Suitcase said:

Why complicate things!

Do as most Thais do, live together and say they are married.

No amphur, no paper work, and easy divorce.

Worked for me  -  25 years together and we are not married.............I'm only 68 ½ so, maybe too young to get married, she is 42.

I don't think you need an appointment to the AU embassy. 

You do need to go online and get a copy of the divorce decree. You take that to the AU embassy and get them to stamp and scribble for $70+ per page then you can go to the equivenent of Chaing Wattena and get it translated in your area.

I know this because I did it in April last year. 

If you have only been married in Thai, you have to get that decree translated to english then scribbled n stamped at AU embassy then translated back to Thai. 

If you are only getting married in local village n not official you don't need any of it! 

Archived