BANGKOK 17 July 2019 17:47
Grumpy Old Man

Extension to stay based on marriage at Chiangmai Immigration 12:02:2019

When the ImOffice moved from Nong Khai to Udon Thani airport it was simply a nightmare.

I had 39 pages of documentation (originals plus copies all signed) sitting on the desk from 9 in the morning 'til 15-00. The ImOfficer would occasionally thumb through the file. It was roasting hot and I had a baby in arms.

At 15-00 I confronted the chief ImOfficer. She told my wife that they were extremely busy (not busy at all until 11ish).

She gave me 15 days and said when we came back, to bring an unrelated witness from the village and also 3 pics of me, the wife and baby, sitting on our bed.

Being new to the 'system' I didn't know that the pile of passports* that were brought in at 11 was all about. 

I eventually got visa extension.

* The irony is that the agent that brought in the stack of passports; I now use.

You say it is your your fourth extension ! then surely in previous years you must have had 2 copies of every document ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

we spent the weekend making sure we had all the documents, photos and financial reports.

A job that takes one person about an hour, two at the most and the two of you spent the weekend doing it.

All clear.  No questions.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Five hours wait? I thought some of the other forummers here said it was a breeze recently.

None of the others went for marriage extensions.

Anyway I predicted two weeks and back to being bastards and everyone pooh-poohed me.

• Like 2

You sound like an intelligent fellow who is not hurting for money.  Why get a marriage visa that you know has always been a hassle and not a retirement extension? 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anyway I predicted two weeks and back to being bastards and everyone pooh-poohed me.

See post #17 in thread below.

• Haha 1

Just now, EricTh said:

See post #17 in thread below.

I have reason to believe this photo was staged, and the female officers clapping took the cake back right after the photo was taken. 😞  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Also see post #21 in another thread.

Edited by EricTh

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You sound like an intelligent fellow who is not hurting for money.  Why get a marriage visa that you know has always been a hassle and not a retirement extension? 

My guess is he doesn't want to deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank to collect dust.

• Like 2