Extension to stay based on marriage at Chiangmai Immigration 12:02:2019

Grumpy Old Man

I don't think the Thai's have a fountain of knowledge anywhere in any government office in Thailand.  It's too bad you guys were subjected to their nonsense.  If Thai Immigration keeps this up, the only people in Thailand, will be the Thais, Chinese, and Indians. [emoji20]
I think you're replying to the wrong person.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 3:59 PM, CMNightRider said:

If Thai Immigration keeps this up, the only people in Thailand, will be the Thais, Chinese, and Indians. 

I guess we can look forward to even better food going forward, then.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, Kelsall said:

Use an agent

555, I tried last year and the agent said "Too difficult and not easy to get, easier to get a retirement extension". This time I did it myself and saved over 5,000 Baht.

Ok, the first time I had all the paperwork apart from the Kor Ror 22? The IO couldn't speak English, why would an IO not be able to speak English, her only customers are foreigners!! So another IO came over and explained that I need to go to the local Amphur and get the document, a week later I saw the same IO and she was just awkward saying to my wife she needed 2 copies of everything, so I got the pile of papers and showed her 2 copies of everything, she was not happy! There was a bank statement that she said she needed on the first visit but then discarded the same document on the second time.

The first visit took 30 minutes, the second visit took 1 hour, then we had a phone call a day later to ask if we could take a witness down to Immigration, rather than them coming to the house, no problem. They interviewed our friend for around 20 minutes and that was it.

I had to go back to get the stamp approval 4 weeks later and just done my first 90 day report online, a breeze.

7 hours ago, PGThompson1 said:

555, I tried last year and the agent said "Too difficult and not easy to get, easier to get a retirement extension". This time I did it myself and saved over 5,000 Baht.

Ok, the first time I had all the paperwork apart from the Kor Ror 22? The IO couldn't speak English, why would an IO not be able to speak English, her only customers are foreigners!! So another IO came over and explained that I need to go to the local Amphur and get the document, a week later I saw the same IO and she was just awkward saying to my wife she needed 2 copies of everything, so I got the pile of papers and showed her 2 copies of everything, she was not happy! There was a bank statement that she said she needed on the first visit but then discarded the same document on the second time.

The first visit took 30 minutes, the second visit took 1 hour, then we had a phone call a day later to ask if we could take a witness down to Immigration, rather than them coming to the house, no problem. They interviewed our friend for around 20 minutes and that was it.

I had to go back to get the stamp approval 4 weeks later and just done my first 90 day report online, a breeze.

If you get a good visa agency to do this for you it makes life so much easier.  I did my own retirement visas until immigration moved their circus over to Promanda Mall.  That's when I threw in the towel and started using a visa agency.  

I don't even have to converse with immigration staff, and as a result it has even lowered my blood pressure.    

• 2 months later...

Just did my extension this morning, it's much better than Promenada in many regards (it wasn't that hard to be better).

It's no longer necessary to arrive at 5am to get a decent spot in the queue. I came at 6:40, I was second (and somehow was interviewed first), but I could have come at 8:30, I would have been 3rd. By ~10am, it was number 5.

However, there are a few things that still causes issues or are good to know.

Monday at the opening is a minor delay for two reasons: first, they have their flag-raising ceremony, anthem, etc. and small speech from their boss, so although some start working at 7am, they all stop at 7:45 to only start again at 8:10/15.

Other reason is that following 'their' requirements, you would only be able to submit your bank statements after the first bank opened as they want an update from the same day.

Anyway, I had all my documents ready, according to the checklist* I collected from them in March, in 2 or 3 copies, hand written with a blue pen etc. Since the checklist is different in Thai and in English, you are left guessing which one is the right one for several items.

Of course, since it's not my first time, I had variations of the same document and also had things not on the checklist but that they would definitely ask such as visa, previous stamps and TM6. Some of the forms have changed (same same but different) so I had to refill them on the spot.

Then they ask for things I didn't have copies of: my last 90-day notification (lucky I did the last one there and not online), an updated book bank from the same day (it was updated the evening before ???? ), and my most recent TM30 because my TM30 didn't match my arrival date in Thailand, and that normally I should have a new one...whatever....it didn't make sense in English, it didn't make sense in Thai, and after asking her exactly what she wants, she dropped it, while asking us why we didn't arrived more prepared ???? , and also complaining why the documents are not in the order that she wants them to be (they were in the order of the checklist). I guess it's Monday morning for everyone...

Without a run to a bank to update the documents, and a photocopy of the 90-day notification, I would have been out by 8:40am.

So it's definitely better, but government officers keep having these habits of making sure it doesn't go smoothly by having those unreasonable requests (I say that because I'm dealing lately with the ministry of public health as well, where specific officers have different requests which are in no official requirement lists, and sometimes, very very subjective).

Just did my extension this morning, it's much better than Promenada in many regards (it wasn't that hard to be better).

It's no longer necessary to arrive at 5am to get a decent spot in the queue. I came at 6:40, I was second (and somehow was interviewed first), but I could have come at 8:30, I would have been 3rd. By ~10am, it was number 5.

Monday at the opening is a minor delay for two reasons: first, they have their flag-raising ceremony, anthem, etc. and small speech from their boss, so although some start working at 7am, they all stop at 7:45 to only start again at 8:10/15.

Other reason is that following 'their' requirements, you would only be able to submit your bank statements after the first bank opened as they want an update from the same day.

Anyway, I had all my documents ready, according to the checklist* I collected from them in March, in 2 or 3 copies, hand written with a blue pen etc. Since the checklist is different in Thai and in English, you are left guessing which one is the right one for several items.

Of course, since it's not my first time, I had variations of the same document and also had things not on the checklist but that they would definitely ask such as visa, previous stamps and TM6. Some of the forms have changed (same same but different) so I had to refill them on the spot.

Then they ask for things I didn't have copies of: my last 90-day notification (lucky I did the last one there and not online), an updated book bank from the same day (it was updated the evening before [emoji6] ), and my most recent TM30 because my TM30 didn't match my arrival date in Thailand, and that normally I should have a new one...whatever....it didn't make sense in English, it didn't make sense in Thai, and after asking her exactly what she wants, she dropped it, while asking us why we didn't arrived more prepared [emoji1] , and also complaining why the documents are not in the order that she wants them to be (they were in the order of the checklist). I guess it's Monday morning for everyone...

Without a run to a bank to update the documents, and a photocopy of the 90-day notification, I would have been out by 8:40am.

So it's definitely better, but government officers keep having these habits of making sure it doesn't go smoothly by having those unreasonable requests (I say that because I'm dealing lately with the ministry of public health as well, where specific officers have different requests which are in no official requirement lists, and sometimes, very very subjective).

If I understood you correctly they wanted the TM7 application hand written in blue ink. I wonder if they will still accept the computer typed form?

21 hours ago, XLance said:

Then they ask for things I didn't have copies of: my last 90-day notification (lucky I did the last one there and not online), an updated book bank from the same day (it was updated the evening before ???? ), and my most recent TM30 because my TM30 didn't match my arrival date in Thailand, and that normally I should have a new one...whatever....it didn't make sense in English, it didn't make sense in Thai, and after asking her exactly what she wants, she dropped it, while asking us why we didn't arrived more prepared ???? , and also complaining why the documents are not in the order that she wants them to be (they were in the order of the checklist). I guess it's Monday morning for everyone...

When I lived in CM I first used the marriage visa option but later switched to the retirement option as I couldn't put up with the nonsense we got each year when doing the extension.

The final straw came around the 5th year or so when we were told one document for my wife we had been using all along was no good and I had to draw a map of where we lived.  I flatly refused to draw the map and said we were not going to travel across the country to get a document that was ok in the past and should have been no problem except they wanted to make it one. 

I then asked the lovely lady at immigration what if I switched to a retirement extension since I had the funds in another bank account.  She said oh that would be great so I went to the bank, got another bank letter, came back and my extension was okayed and  stamped within 5 minutes.

Moral of the story is they don't want you here, at least in CM, to be on the marriage visa.  Makes no sense but then again, what does.  Unfortunately it looks like harassing people with the marriage visa will continue and if you qualify and have the funds, go the retirement route or expect the unexpected when you renew each year.

SO you "highlighted" that they are copying blue ink with a black and white copier (which is none of your business anyway), and you are surprised after doing things like this you are having troubles?

What else did you do that got left out?

I maintain that upwards of 99% of problems at immigration are caused by the applicant. Even if your story is exactly as you told it, try to hold your tongue next time things will go better for you. They do not need a lesson from you on what color is best to sign their documents. 

54 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I maintain that upwards of 99% of problems at immigration are caused by the applicant.

Yes and No. Anything that will not affect the outcome of the application (no matter how stupid it sounds) should not be raised to the officer (it just doesn't help, in Thailand or in any country for that matter), but they are things that they can come up with sometimes, where you really wonder where it comes from.

As said in my message, I see the same attitude (and often has nothing to do with me, so the foreigner card doesn't play a role) from some public servants (not all of course) in the ministry of public health, customs and natural resources & environment (mostly province level offices) who show a superior attitude of asking whatever they want to because they are the one in a position of power. On the other hand public servants working at amphoe or tambon level are most of the time very nice and just try to help.

I happily noticed this time that there was a particularly rude worker in Promenada, who really had no manner (by any standard), who seems to be no longer directly interacting with foreigners in their new building. That's good..., she was horrible.

My wife and I renewed our retirement visas last Tuesday. The week before, we returned from a trip abroad, so had been to the Imm office to secure TM-30 documents, and while there, asked for a copy of the newest requirements for renewal. With that in hand, we made all the relevant copies needed, checked them off one by one on the sheet, filled out the applications, and decided we were set.  I went to the bank on Monday and got the required bank letter. Tuesday we went to Immigration, arriving there at 10:15. We were home again by 11:45 with new stamps in our passports. Would have been even faster but someone jumped the queue to ask the Imm officer a long-winded question.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:17 PM, GregTN said:

If I understood you correctly they wanted the TM7 application hand written in blue ink. I wonder if they will still accept the computer typed form?

Well, I normally used a typed form as well, but the checklist I had requested documents filled with a blue pen. They might still accept filled pdf; I just didn't try so that they couldn't whinge about it and I wouldn't have to rush filling forms.

25 minutes ago, XLance said:

Well, I normally used a typed form as well, but the checklist I had requested documents filled with a blue pen.

You were wise to comply. Sometimes, especially when dealing with bureaucrats, it's a good idea to give them what they ask for. It Those that don't always seem to encounter a 'bad Imm officer.'

On 2/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, CMNightRider said:

Whatever the cost it is money well spent.  The agents make an appointment for you and drive you to immigration at your allotted time.  This eliminates the need to spend several hours at immigration.

Which agent is this? Or, is this pretty much the consensus for all agents, i.e., you meet at their office and then drive to Immigration -- not, "meet me at Immigration at 1330", whence I might not be able to find parking.

Looking for turnkey service -- I'm completely above board, but I'm too old to go to the end of the line 'cause I used black ink, not blue. Plus, looking for an open parking space has taken years off my life (at CNX airport, anyway).

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, PGThompson1 said:

so I got the pile of papers and showed her 2 copies of everything, she was not happy!

Perhaps she had a bet with another IO to see if she could fail you!

I'm sure they made stuff up to annoy us. Most of what they wanted was irrelevant. All they should need is a valid passport with valid visa, bank statement/letter and an address. If they want to catch people out for fake marriages they should get off their backsides and go check at the address given. All that "witnesses" rubbish is just added BS. 

3 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Which agent is this? Or, is this pretty much the consensus for all agents, i.e., you meet at their office and then drive to Immigration -- not, "meet me at Immigration at 1330", whence I might not be able to find parking.

Looking for turnkey service -- I'm completely above board, but I'm too old to go to the end of the line 'cause I used black ink, not blue. Plus, looking for an open parking space has taken years off my life (at CNX airport, anyway).

Park at Central then, or take a taxi!

I didn't find an agent that would pick me up. I had to meet them at immigration.

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I went to the bank on Monday and got the required bank letter. Tuesday we went to Immigration,

Presumably a fixed deposit account, i.e., a bank book that doesn't need to be updated on same day as visit to Immigration?

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Park at Central then, or take a taxi!

I didn't find an agent that would pick me up. I had to meet them at immigration.

Too bad for you. Apparently Nightrider did, so I'll await his input. Oh, beach, who was your agent -- just so I'll know who to avoid?

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Presumably a fixed deposit account, i.e., a bank book that doesn't need to be updated on same day as visit to Immigration?

Well... no, actually. An ordinary savings account. I had the same one for the past 18 years. Never had an Imm officer request that it be updated the same day. I've always done it the day before.

Well, I normally used a typed form as well, but the checklist I had requested documents filled with a blue pen. They might still accept filled pdf; I just didn't try so that they couldn't whinge about it and I wouldn't have to rush filling forms.

I went today for my extension for marriage and they did accept the pdf filled TM7 form with out any issues. Two copies of my last 90 day report were needed that I didn’t see on their list of requirements.

14 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Well... no, actually. An ordinary savings account. I had the same one for the past 18 years. Never had an Imm officer request that it be updated the same day. I've always done it the day before.

Well, that's good news -- except I'll probably encounter the IO that requires same-day update.

30 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, that's good news -- except I'll probably encounter the IO that requires same-day update.

Jim, in 18 years I have NEVER had an Immigration officer ask us for anything other than what was on the check list.  We follow the check list carefully, err on the side of too many copies (so we always get 2-3 pages handed back,) never say a word to the officer unless he/she asks a question. I was a bit worried this past renewal as my photo had a white background while my wife's photo had a dark blue background, but apparently that, too, is not an issue. When finished, we say thank you, and walk away. 

When Immigration was at the Prom, we used a line sitter to avoid getting there at zero:dark-thirty, but otherwise, in and out ourselves with no problems.

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Jim, in 18 years I have NEVER had an Immigration officer ask us for anything other than what was on the check list.

I can't seem to find a definitive checklist regarding updating passbooks. I'm sure I saw something here in the forum about someone having been rejected for not having his passbook updated same day. Hope your experience is par, as I don't really want to stop by my bank's passbook update machine early in the morning.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

I can't seem to find a definitive checklist regarding updating passbooks. I'm sure I saw something here in the forum about someone having been rejected for not having his passbook updated same day. Hope your experience is par, as I don't really want to stop by my bank's passbook update machine early in the morning.

Jim, it's not just the updated passbook. You need a form letter from the bank stating the current amount.

As for a checklist, ask at the Immigration information counter. That's where I got ours.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:39 PM, JimGant said:

I was sent away to update the passbook as I'd updated it the day before. Luckily she let me come back in the afternoon, so I didn't have to start from scratch the next day. When I used an agent I just got an appointment after the banks opened so I didn't have to use the machine.

Archived