Regarding retirement Visa I have not seen this question answered

When I came over in 2004 I parked in the bank 800000. Which is now about a million. It's Bangkok Bank and it showed at the time in my bank book a foreign currency transfer. Well 15 years later I don't have the original Bank book. The money has been parked ever since that time 15 years my question is are they going to ask me to see where the transfer came from or will they be happy that I just have this money in the account. If this has been answered somewhere else I apologize but I have not seen it thank you very much

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No need to see where it came from. As I side bonus as you maintain 800k+ all year then you will be covered with the new conditions for money in bank method. You surely have another account with activity. Might be useful in case an io wants to see funds you are using to live.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

When I came over in 2004 I parked in the bank 800000. Which is now about a million. It's Bangkok Bank and it showed at the time in my bank book a foreign currency transfer. Well 15 years later I don't have the original Bank book. The money has been parked ever since that time 15 years .......

I hope you are currently getting around 2.5% for that, as that is what you could be getting in another bank.

No one has ever asked me where my deposit funds came from.

• Like 1

I hope you are currently getting around 2.5% for that, as that is what you could be getting in another bank.

1.625% for a 9 month term which is a new promotion was getting 1.5% for a year. While I'm far from loaded with cash I look at this as more of keeping it safe. Thirteen fourteen thousand a year an interest is just a bonus. Thank you very much for your reply much appreciated

2 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

1.625% for a 9 month term which is a new promotion was getting 1.5% for a year. While I'm far from loaded with cash I look at this as more of keeping it safe. Thirteen fourteen thousand a year an interest is just a bonus.

Well, you could be getting 2.5% at CIMB as I am, where it would be covered by the same deposit guarantee. That's 20,000B interest and I consider it mine by right rather than a bonus. Up to you, of course.

18 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Off topic, and bank interest has been done to death already. 

Well, you could be getting 2.5% at CIMB as I am, where it would be covered by the same deposit guarantee. That's 20,000B interest and I consider it mine by right rather than a bonus. Up to you, of course.
Something I may have a look at I appreciate it thank you very much

Just now, hereforgood said:

Something I may have a look at I appreciate it thank you very much

That would take your interest above 20,000 and hence liable for 15% with-holding tax, Keep it below 2%!

• Haha 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

That would take your interest above 20,000 and hence liable for 15% with-holding tax, Keep it below 2%!

This can be claimed back. Besides which it is deducted at source for all time deposits, regardless of the amount.

The 20,000B limit only applies to savings accounts (or similar) for which the withholding tax cannot be claimed back.

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That's interesting. I always understood that it wasnt possible to claim it back for savings accounts, only for TDs.

Well to be honest, didn't see the money yet, pending, but I am hoping you are wrong. ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Bangkok Bank takes 15% out of my 1 year time deposit as it is what am I doing wrong?

Apparently time deposits get treated differently than savings accounts, which was what I was considering, my apologies. Getting a tax ID allows you to claim it back, but it could be a double edged sword!

Edited by jacko45k

Apparently time deposits get treated differently than savings accounts, which was what I was considering, my apologies. Getting a tax ID allows you to claim it back, but it could be a double edged sword!
I have a tax ID number as I was working for a couple of years so maybe I still have a chance

1 minute ago, hereforgood said:

I have a tax ID number as I was working for a couple of years so maybe I still have a chance

Well if you have no other income taking you above 150,000 baht p.a. should be reclaimable at revenue office.

• Like 1

Off topic in terms of the OP's circumstances; mine were a little different  In 2010, having worked in Thailand for many years. I switched my Extension of Stay to "Retirement".  Immigration did want to know where the money had come from.  I provided them with copies of five years' income tax returns, which was enough to satisfy them.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

Talking of bank books any news on them being ok for income?  (i.e. no letter). I mean if it's there in black and white 65k+  whats the issue?

I believe the letter confirms it is your account and the balance on that day. It is  stated as required.

Yes, Post 22 is correct. In prior years, I had always got a longer letter. Last year, at a different bank, I was given a one-sentence letter, stating only that my account xxx-x-xxx contained Bxxx,xxx. I questioned the manager, who assured me that I needed nothing more than that.  He was correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allane said:

Yes, Post 22 is correct. In prior years, I had always got a longer letter. Last year, at a different bank, I was given a one-sentence letter, stating only that my account xxx-x-xxx contained Bxxx,xxx. I questioned the manager, who assured me that I needed nothing more than that.  He was correct.

My letter is like that also.

• Like 1

Beware.

I presented a joint account with wife to a Hat Yai IO recently. The balance was way above any requirement but it caused major confusion.

Either the had not seen a joint farang/Thai wife joint account before. OR could not accept 50/50 split. In their minds possibly 90/ 10 split in favour of Thai wife.

6 hours ago, hereforgood said:

The money has been parked ever since that time 15 years my question is are they going to ask me to see where the transfer came from or will they be happy that I just have this money in the account.

If you’ve been on annual extensions based on retirement during that time they are not going to start asking where the money came from. No recent changes to the rules require offices to get proof of a foreign transfer for extension applications.

If you’ve been staying as a tourist or other for 15 years, then they might (unlikely) want to know where the 1M came from if you’re only now applying for a retirement extension.

If you’ve been on annual extensions based on retirement during that time they are not going to start asking where the money came from. No recent changes to the rules require offices to get proof of a foreign transfer for extension applications.

If you’ve been staying as a tourist or other for 15 years, then they might (unlikely) want to know where the 1M came from if you’re only now applying for a retirement extension.
This will be my second extension based on retirement the first 13 years is that I have been here I was working on a business Visa with a work permit. I parked the money when I first came over in the account for retirement not thinking I would be working here but I did. Everyone else I've talked to said they were not questioned where the money came from so I think I'll be okay. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hereforgood said:

This will be my second extension based on retirement the first 13 years is that I have been here I was working on a business Visa with a work permit. I parked the money when I first came over in the account for retirement not thinking I would be working here but I did. Everyone else I've talked to said they were not questioned where the money came from so I think I'll be okay. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The only time immigration usually ask to see proof that the funds came from overseas is if someone applies for a non ‘O’ visa from immigration as a prerequisite for an extension of stay.

The fact that you’re renewing an extension they are not going to ask for proof.

Another example of a totally redundant exercise which costs us 100 baht for no reason whatsoever.

I have also been asked for detailed statements. How often should I be updating my passbook such that CM immigration would not need the detailed statement?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app