Regarding retirement Visa I have not seen this question answered

10 hours ago, Sprog71 said:

Beware.

I presented a joint account with wife to a Hat Yai IO recently. The balance was way above any requirement but it caused major confusion.

Either the had not seen a joint farang/Thai wife joint account before. OR could not accept 50/50 split. In their minds possibly 90/ 10 split in favour of Thai wife.

Why were you presenting it?

It is possible the confusion was caused because a joint account is not acceptable if being used to validate a retirement extension application.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is possible the confusion was caused because a joint account is not acceptable if being used to validate a retirement extension application.

That's correct. With a joint account, the monies deposited cannot be proved to belong to the retiree. A joint account hasn't been acceptable for an extension for years......

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

That's correct. With a joint account, the monies deposited cannot be proved to belong to the retiree. A joint account hasn't been acceptable for an extension for years......

Some are reported allow it if the funds are 2x the min-required - but that is not reliable, so best to have an account in the applicant's name only.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That would take your interest above 20,000 and hence liable for 15% with-holding tax, Keep it below 2%!

True, but as it's certainly a fixed deposit he would have had 15% interest withheld from the first baht earned.  1.5% or so is the highest non-fixed deposit interest rate I've heard of.  Higher than that they are all fixed deposits.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Presented to support marriage extension (first application (now aborted} after 39 years of marriage which in itself seemed to throw the IO.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I mean 65k route they can see from the bank book it comes in why a letter?

They always want letters, it confirms the account and the holder of the letter has this account.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I mean 65k route they can see from the bank book it comes in why a letter?

Tradition!

It's confirmatory evidence.  When the numbers in the letter match numbers in the passbook it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  If one were faking any of this stuff they are making it more work.  Like all the anti-counterfeit measures on currency, each one just makes the job of the person trying to pass a bad bill just a little bit harder.