Keycard Copy

farang1979

5 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Why not simply go and file a report at the nearest police station then your condo will give you a new one?

It'd involve me contacting my landlord which I want to avoid. Police report needed by condo.

Hence, looking for alternatives to avoid above.

It is entirely reasonable for the condo office to refuse to give a new key card to a tenant without further verification. Technically the condo office should only deal with the co-owner (landlord) and never the tenant.

As for the initial question, yes most RFID cards are easily cloned but to do so you need to have the original.

Normally every key should be unique.

Maybe you have two or more cards and maybe they all look the same but possibly (I am not sure if likely) they have internally a different key code.

Some systems recognize if a card was just used to enter the building. If you enter the building a second time with the same code then smart systems detect that this should not be possible (until you leave the building first).

The code should be unique to you and in the office they should have a record of your unique key.

If someone finds your card and uses it to enter the building maybe to do something illegally then it's possible to know that was your card.

So all in all it would be better if you report is stolen and if you get a new card (probably with a new code).

All this might be ignored in Thailand most of the time but you could be in trouble if everything is perfectly recorded...

1 hour ago, farang1979 said:

I have a second card which I will use to clone. Looking for places that do it. 

If you have a 2nd card then what's the big deal then? Just use the 2nd keycard to enter the condo and don't worry about the 1st lost card! Simple! No need to deal with the landlord or file a police report.

Archived