SMS and U.S.A. Internal Revenue Service

I am in the process of obtaining a Fiance Visa from the U.S. Embassy in Thailand.  One of the requirements is an IRS transcript.  Those are available online but I can not receive the IRS one time code SMS code.  Apparently they can determine that my phone is here in Thailand despite  my cell phone service is T Mobile in the USA.  Has anyone else encountered this and found an alternative? 

Maybe not worth the effort and cost if you don't live here full-time, but I finally got a US Skype number only to receive login verification robocalls or SMS OTP from a new US Brokerage account I opened recently.   Only needed it a few times so far but has worked as intended. Was $6 something for month to month.  I just signed up for a full year, pushing it down to $4.50/mo. 

6 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Maybe not worth the effort and cost if you don't live here full-time, but I finally got a US Skype number only to receive login verification robocalls or SMS OTP from a new US Brokerage account I opened recently.   Only needed it a few times so far but has worked as intended. Was $6 something for month to month.  I just signed up for a full year, pushing it down to $4.50/mo. 

As I understand it google voice or other services such as Skype will not work.  Nothing on Voice Over Protocol will work with the IRS. 

Just now, Thomas J said:

As I understand it google voice or other services such as Skype will not work.  Nothing on Voice Over Protocol will work with the IRS. 

You're a hard case aren't you?  2ndLine android app.  Of course if you don't want your question answered don't read my post. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You're a hard case aren't you?  2ndLine android app.  Of course if you don't want your question answered don't read my post. 

I was responding to the person who said to use Skype. Thanks,  I will try the 2nd line App

I could never get this to work.

The other problem I ran into trying to get transcripts online was that my filing address had for years been my Thai address, and the system just wouldn't accept it.

I ended up just requesting the transcripts by mail, and they showed up in about 3 weeks 

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

I could never get this to work.

The other problem I ran into trying to get transcripts online was that my filing address had for years been my Thai address, and the system just wouldn't accept it.

That is a problem for me.  My filing address is in the USA and I no longer live at that address

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

That is a problem for me.  My filing address is in the USA and I no longer live at that address

Then you have a problem.

So I had a real US phone so I could get the SMS, it was the filing address that was the killer. 

BTW, I also used Hangouts for SMS, it didn't like that at all, even though it receives US text messages.

I can't remember now at what point in the process it asks you for the address on your last 1040. But be prepared!

As much as I hate to say this, you may need to call the IRS 'help' line

13 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Then you have a problem.

So I had a real US phone so I could get the SMS, it was the filing address that was the killer. 

BTW, I also used Hangouts for SMS, it didn't like that at all, even though it receives US text messages.

I can't remember now at what point in the process it asks you for the address on your last 1040. But be prepared!

As much as I hate to say this, you may need to call the IRS 'help' line

I tried the help line as well.  All you ever get is a recorded voice that takes you through endless prompts. 

I was on the phone last night with Bill Pay at my Credit Union, they were insisting on sending me an SMS for two factor authentication to my US phone number.  I explained to them that I was in Thailand, and they should have an option to use an email address for authentication as not everyone has an American (or whatever country) phone number.  They were dumbfounded at first, then agreed to do the authentication on the phone using security questions asked during logon to their website.  Done and Dusted. 

Sometimes you just have to be persistent until you can talk to a live person and explain real life to them.

16 minutes ago, mosan said:

Sometimes you just have to be persistent until you can talk to a live person and explain real life to them.

Here you are talking about the IRS and a live person with a brain and some discretion.  Those with government employees are mutually exclusive. 

10 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Here you are talking about the IRS and a live person with a brain and some discretion.  Those with government employees are mutually exclusive

I disagree, regular people work for the IRS. They're no different than you or me. You just have to appeal to their sense of humanity--ask them what they can do for you, not sit back and listen to them tell you what they can't do. 

All government agencies have a plan "B" for when automation fails--you must insist that the automation is not working, and you need that exceptional assistance.     

37 minutes ago, mosan said:

I was on the phone last night with Bill Pay at my Credit Union, they were insisting on sending me an SMS for two factor authentication to my US phone number.  I explained to them that I was in Thailand, and they should have an option to use an email address for authentication as not everyone has an American (or whatever country) phone number.  They were dumbfounded at first, then agreed to do the authentication on the phone using security questions asked during logon to their website.  Done and Dusted. 

Or you can get the app I suggested and not worry about it.  I'm lazy I like to do things the easy way.  And I have no Idea why I post on TV threads asking for information.  I must be a masochist.

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

2ndLine android app

Tried and had the same rejection.  I was told that the IRS used some type of software that can detect if the phone number you are using is going to the Cell Phone company like TMobile where it is registered and if the phone is postpaid meaning they have verified you,  the account name and caller ID also matches your name and lastly that the SMS message is not being forwarded to a roaming carrier. 

At this point, I think you're stuck at the point of needing to go through the tedium of sitting on hold for an hour or so to actually speak to someone at the IRS. 

From our attempt to use my phone, and the fact you don't live at your last filing address, I don't think you have many options left

On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Thomas J said:

Tried and had the same rejection.  I was told that the IRS used some type of software that can detect if the phone number you are using is going to the Cell Phone company like TMobile where it is registered and if the phone is postpaid meaning they have verified you,  the account name and caller ID also matches your name and lastly that the SMS message is not being forwarded to a roaming carrier. 

I'm surprised.  Do you have a VPN on your phone?  Would that make a difference?  I use express.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm surprised.  Do you have a VPN on your phone?  Would that make a difference?  I use express.

Yes I have VPN but remember the VPN controls your internet access not your cell phone signal.  As I understand it, the IRS has software than can detect if the SMS message is going to your carrier or is being forwarded to a secondary carrier.  So the sms message goes to DTAC here in Thailand and the IRS can apparently detect that. 

1 minute ago, jimmyyy said:

have it mailed to you at the address the IRS has on file for you.

That is a problem.  Which I hope I have resolved.  I no longer live at that address.  I am retired and here in Thailand and have been here for months. I put a new mail forwarding on that address to a friend who will hopefully get the pin from the IRS so that I can get the transcript here. Otherwise it has to be mailed and I might end up in exactly the same situation that the mail from the IRS would not be forwarded. 

On 2/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, Thomas J said:

That is a problem.  Which I hope I have resolved.  I no longer live at that address.  I am retired and here in Thailand and have been here for months. I put a new mail forwarding on that address to a friend who will hopefully get the pin from the IRS so that I can get the transcript here. Otherwise it has to be mailed and I might end up in exactly the same situation that the mail from the IRS would not be forwarded. 

I just remembered (old age memory problems) that when I spoke to the IRS because I couldn't get the online transcript thing to work, before I opted to get them in the mail, the agent offered to fax them to me. Since I didn't have a fax machine and wasn't in any desperate rush, I opted for the mail option.

But in your situation that might be the best and fastest solution

Archived