Weather report. Dry!

Bournville

For the past 6 weeks in either Bangkok or Krabi area... Zero rainfall. It appears to be the same in Chiang Mai too according to freinds there.

I'm the 6 years I've been here.. I don't remember such a hot, dry winter. How do you? I see a bad drought year for 2019.... but I'll wait for the royal ploughing ceremony to give me that info 555

Be happy

• Like 2

It's rained once here since the beginning of November, 14 weeks. Daytime highs mid to upper 30's lows of low 20's. Couple of times the lows have hit the norms of 15degC. Yep, it's hot and dry. 

Edited by grollies
  • Like 1

Same in Petchabun.

It did rain hard for about 10 minutes 3 nights ago , which was a help , but nothing else since early December. Front lawn is on its last legs despite watering every day.

Water shortages coming despite it being a very wet rainy season last year.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The weather here is getting hotter, drier, more boring, and very monotonous. Heat, heat and more heat. Yikes. The winters used to be a nice break from the stifling heat. No more it seems. What can one say? 

Yes, it's been s***.

I changed my visiting months this and last visit but it has not felt like an improvement.

I've pretty much certain that I'm never going to spend a Summer here and am looking for Winter alternatives.

• Like 1

I have been telling the same story in other threads... it is probably the warmest winter I have had in 20 years, in Eastern Isaan. 

The fact that it doesn't rain is normal, this is the reason it is called the dry season. 

The problem is the heat, because the wind and high pressure come from the East instead of the North. 

And since we are again in an El Nino year, we may have to endure some more months of dry heat, probably with droughts here and there... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

I have been telling the same story in other threads... it is probably the warmest winter I have had in 20 years, in Eastern Isaan. 

The fact that it doesn't rain is normal, this is the reason it is called the dry season. 

The problem is the heat, because the wind and high pressure come from the East instead of the North. 

And since we are again in an El Nino year, we may have to endure some more months of dry heat, probably with droughts here and there... 

The world is getting hotter.

Guaranteed more frequent/serious droughts ahead

The places that are now uncomfortably hot will become debilitatingly so.

They will be the first to tip over into unlivable.

Yes, the heat, not visas, is pushing me away from Thailand.

• Like 2

In Chiang Mai this cool season was cool as usual (average coolness lol) BUT longer than normal.

Up until last night it was still getting to low temps at night time, enough we had to wear jackets when outdoors, and in the shade in the daytime still cool.  Only today was the shade also hot, and the daytime temps are going up over this last week.

No rain is NOROMAL up here this time of year.  It start raining usually about Songkhran time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

In Chiang Mai this cool season was cool as usual (average coolness lol) BUT longer than normal.

Up until last night it was still getting to low temps at night time, enough we had to wear jackets when outdoors, and in the shade in the daytime still cool.  Only today was the shade also hot, and the daytime temps are going up over this last week.

No rain is NOROMAL up here this time of year.  It start raining usually about Songkhran time.

Chon Buri/Chachensao border, yep, it's also the dry season. But we usually get the odd heavy shower every couple of weeks. This year 14 weeks straight so far, nothing. We've had the odd rumble of thunder and some rain a few kliks away but here, nothing. And, yes, due about Songkran time, hopefully.

Groundwater and pond holding up well tho so far.

• Like 1

Here in Mahasarakham it has been hot and dry. My ponds/dams are the lowest I have ever seen them and might dry out for the first time ever.

I put it down to the mediocre wet season last year. Enough rain to get a crop of rice in, but we missed the torrential, flooding rains we normally get in August.

Same in Trang region. The grass is turning/turned brown, tree leaves falling off in droves, bone dry winds. Brilliant for the tourists in the islands down here but a real worry otherwise. Most lakes and streams are dried up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Hottest and driest in 10 years in Udon. Yes, it is the dry season but you should average 2 days of rain a month here. In 4 months, one day. Only put a jumper or jacket on one night (New years eve) and early one morning all winter.

A statistical outlier, or the start of the future climate?

• Like 1

During the winter months the weather can be very localised. Up until 3 years ago the rain would stop in November and not see any again until around April, one year it was June, the wells had run out in March, lived on stored water for a couple of months before having to start buying it.

Last 3 years it has rained during the winter months, had some a few days ago here on the inland side of Chonburi, and water hasn't been a problem. Last dry winter I spent weeks laying pipes all around the garden for a sprinkler system, haven't used it since.

Temperature wise, it's the coolest overnights in February I have ever known, probably due to a lower humidity, the same temperature can feel warmer when the humidity is up.

50km south of Khon Kaen.

Winter lows went down each year by 2C for the past 3 years, reaching 10C, this year not lower than 14C.

Temp (  shade ) already reached 38C and many days with RH levels of 20-25%.    Now around 34 - 36C.

Nights RH rises but as soon as sun is up quickly drops.

The wind has been coming off the China deserts ever since winter started hence the dry conditions.

Grass near to a water source and at a lower level than the surrounding land, still showing green where soil improvement crops have been planted ( first time ever seen ).

Having started farming at age 15 in 1961 and worked in many countries, perhaps Thai farmers will start / need to look at forage production for their livestock.  Also look at water usage and storage.    Both on an alternative / low cost basis.

I had my own farm in South America for some years.   The land was on the bottom half of a slope which drained in to pampas and wetland, a very wide valley and hills on the opposite side.    The family on the top of the slope were traditional well diggers and grew cotton only as a cash crop.    They had made no attempt to find water on their own land ( apart from outside their back door ), although rocky there were areas were a well could be dug and there was sweet water close to the border fence with my land.    Every year they had insufficient water.    On my own land I dug a well by hand and every dry season went down the well and dug a little deeper.   I modified the way to grow vegetables using a variation on the bed system so even in dry weather night time moisture could collect around the crops.     I inter-cropped in each row cassava with beans so should one crop fail there would hopefully be a different one for eating and selling.   It also gave me two crops from the same area of land.  My point here is that things ARE changing on the climate front and farmers should forget the 10 year plan, think what they can do now.   It does not have to be expensive.   I have never heard of farmers co-operatives here that help the older generation farmers with information  - do they exist ?

Edited by Speedo1968
Hit wrong key
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Temperature wise, it's the coolest overnights in February I have ever known, probably due to a lower humidity, the same temperature can feel warmer when the humidity is up.

It most certainly is not due to LOWER humidity.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

50km south of Khon Kaen.

Winter lows went down each year by 2C for the past 3 years, reaching 10C, this year not lower than 14C.

Temp (  shade ) already reached 38C and many days with RH levels of 20-25%.    Now around 34 - 36C.

Nights RH rises but as soon as sun is up quickly drops.

The wind has been coming off the China deserts ever since winter started hence the dry conditions.

Grass near to a water source and at a lower level than the surrounding land, still showing green where soil improvement crops have been planted ( first time ever seen ).

Having started farming at age 15 in 1961 and worked in many countries, perhaps Thai farmers will start / need to look at forage production for their livestock.  Also look at water usage and storage.    Both on an alternative / low cost basis.

I had my own farm in South America for some years.   The land was on the bottom half of a slope which drained in to pampas and wetland, a very wide valley and hills on the opposite side.    The family on the top of the slope were traditional well diggers and grew cotton only as a cash crop.    They had made no attempt to find water on their own land ( apart from outside their back door ), although rocky there were areas were a well could be dug and there was sweet water close to the border fence with my land.    Every year they had insufficient water.    On my own land I dug a well by hand and every dry season went down the well and dug a little deeper.   I modified the way to grow vegetables using a variation on the bed system so even in dry weather night time moisture could collect around the crops.     I inter-cropped in each row cassava with beans so should one crop fail there would hopefully be a different one for eating and selling.   It also gave me two crops from the same area of land.  My point here is that things ARE changing on the climate front and farmers should forget the 10 year plan, think what they can do now.   It does not have to be expensive.   I have never heard of farmers co-operatives here that help the older generation farmers with information  - do they exist ?

The problem is that nobody is really sure how global warming will pan out,for some it will mean less rain than normal for some it will mean floods where drought is the norm.Reading this thread people seem to think global warming just means less rain and more sun but the supercomputers have different scenarios,time will tell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

It most certainly is not due to LOWER humidity.

And how would you explain the lack of condensation on a glass of cold water.

Humidity this afternoon is 59%, forecast 61 tomorrow and back down to around 54 early part of the week, good bit lower than the yearly average of 77%.

The hottest winter ever in Bangkok.  Maybe 3 days when I didn't have to run the AC.

I can remember 2 whole months where I didn't have to run it.  I don't expect any rain

in the winter months but the incessant heat (and now the smog!!!) are making me look

elsewhere for winter residence.