Jump to content
BANGKOK 26 March 2019 14:16
snoop1130

Dentistry In Vietnam

Recommended Posts

A good read, particularly if like me you’re not the easiest patient. I’ve found a brilliant dentist in Bangkok with excellent prices, good English and very considerate of my anxieties 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to go to Vietnam next month can you tell me the name of the dental office and doctor so I can go see her? I need 6 new crowns and maybe 2 implants. thank you  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, randy723 said:

I plan to go to Vietnam next month can you tell me the name of the dental office and doctor so I can go see her? I need 6 new crowns and maybe 2 implants. thank you  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

A good read, particularly if like me you’re not the easiest patient. I’ve found a brilliant dentist in Bangkok with excellent prices, good English and very considerate of my anxieties 

I have seen been to this dentist office in Bangkok but the and the German dentist office in Jomtien and this German dentist in Jomtien was at least 30% cheaper and the office was a lot better and the dentist at the German dental office seem to know more.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you live in Bangkok there is certainly no need to go to Vietnam. I have not tried any of the clinics that cater for the general local population in Bangkok although they may well be perfectly good, but at the clinics here where the dentists have typically studied and worked in the US and target the international community here, I have found over the last 20 years, that the standard is absolutely first class, and I would challenge it to be bettered anywhere in the world. It's true the prices at these clinics (of which many are located inside the international hospitals here) are higher than at those used by most locals here, but the fees are covered by most health insurance policies anyway. From my memory the treatment that I recall receiving in the UK in the past just does not compare, and I would never contemplate ever using the NHS there again; and the treatment that I recall receiving in Australia, although excellent, is far more expensive, and certainly no better that here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the same dentist in Pattaya for over 15 years and with my lousy teeth probably saw the guy over a 100 times:had everything done there :fillings, crowns, root canals, implants :excellent work and cheaper than most :started giving me discounts after some time. 

Then last year I moved to Vietnam (Delta area), didn't take long for my teeth to act up again, found a clinic that looked clean modern (was a little worried that for that reason it might be a little expensive) :she did a double root treatment on 2 severely infected teeth :when the bill came I thought I had missed a zero :It was was so cheap, even compared to Thailand, let alone the west. Only problem was communication :her English was very basic, but with the help of Google translate and a phone call to a Vietnamese friend to translate, we managed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jkcjag said:

It's true the prices at these clinics (of which many are located inside the international hospitals here) are higher than at those used by most locals here, but the fees are covered by most health insurance policies anyway.

Really?  Sure are not covered by mine.  Dental is normally a separate policy in USA and not covered by health insurance AFAIK.  Believe quality is good but prices are not that low in name hospitals of Bangkok.  That said I do use their services rather than a soi shophouse facility (which found less than ideal in past).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Really?  Sure are not covered by mine.  Dental is normally a separate policy in USA and not covered by health insurance AFAIK.  Believe quality is good but prices are not that low in name hospitals of Bangkok.  That said I do use their services rather than a soi shophouse facility (which found less than ideal in past).

I’m not sure what your issue with shophouses is, a phobia perhaps? My dentist is in a small soi off sukhumvit though not a shophouse. The standard would rival anything in my home country but prices I’d estimate around half. Clientele are probably 50% Thai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are good and bad - but the hallmark of Thai dentistry is specialization, just as for doctors of medicine, and that means large offices with more doctors rather than the single or two dentist shophouse.  Have experienced a few very unsanitary places.  FYI grandfather and two uncles were dentists so know a bit about how a single person office should look - and it should be clean!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a known tooth enamel abrasion that can cause pain. a walked into a random hanoi dentist and the lady doctor put some composite on the abrasion and i felt a whole lot better. she refused to accept money. we have been friends on facebook since

 

sure if i returned for significant dental work / time consuming she'd charge me but the gesture of goodwill is unforgettable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if in Hanoi in the Tay Ho (Westlake) district there is an excellent dental clinic on the ground floor of the Fraser Suites building (8 years ago)...not cheap but the work was top class...all locally trained VN staff...

 

I wouldn't take my dog to a dentist in the UK...they were laughable...I got better treatment in medieval Bolivia 50 years ago...

 

 

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jkcjag said:

If you live in Bangkok there is certainly no need to go to Vietnam. I have not tried any of the clinics that cater for the general local population in Bangkok although they may well be perfectly good, but at the clinics here where the dentists have typically studied and worked in the US and target the international community here, I have found over the last 20 years, that the standard is absolutely first class, and I would challenge it to be bettered anywhere in the world. It's true the prices at these clinics (of which many are located inside the international hospitals here) are higher than at those used by most locals here, but the fees are covered by most health insurance policies anyway. From my memory the treatment that I recall receiving in the UK in the past just does not compare, and I would never contemplate ever using the NHS there again; and the treatment that I recall receiving in Australia, although excellent, is far more expensive, and certainly no better that here.

Your comment about the treatment in Australia is correct, I live in the North and the treatment I have received here is as good as anything received in Australia only substantially cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jkcjag said:

If you live in Bangkok there is certainly no need to go to Vietnam. I have not tried any of the clinics that cater for the general local population in Bangkok although they may well be perfectly good, but at the clinics here where the dentists have typically studied and worked in the US and target the international community here, I have found over the last 20 years, that the standard is absolutely first class, and I would challenge it to be bettered anywhere in the world. It's true the prices at these clinics (of which many are located inside the international hospitals here) are higher than at those used by most locals here, but the fees are covered by most health insurance policies anyway. From my memory the treatment that I recall receiving in the UK in the past just does not compare, and I would never contemplate ever using the NHS there again; and the treatment that I recall receiving in Australia, although excellent, is far more expensive, and certainly no better that here.

 

i would say a very small % of thai dentists have studied/practiced dentistry in the usa they would have needed to pass usa dental boards and then need to gain acceptance in special university programs where they essentially repeat clinical years and such programs are exceedingly expensive by usa standards let alone thai standards. the infamous thai lady dentist did this at harvard, the one that renegged on her agreement to repay the lender.  attending linited workshops or courses is a different story. not uncommon to claim they trained in the usa when in fact they attended a company sponsored workshop.

 

on the other hand there have historically been lots of thai medical doctors in usa residency programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...