Dentistry In Vietnam

snoop1130

i have had crowns and fillings done in bangkok at shopping mall located dentists. generally ok though when i had tooth cold sensitivity dentist did not check using cold until i actually asked that she do so. normally the patient does not direct the exam lol. laziness

unless emergent i save up dental work until visa run or trip to vietnam where i use a lady dentist highly recommended by a usa medical doctor that also uses her.

impressive facility and very competent dentist that speaks english well.  a normal porcelain fused metal crown about 2500 baht.  root canal 2-3000 baht. fillings, cleaning also priced well lower than thailand

49 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i have had crowns and fillings done in bangkok at shopping mall located dentists. generally ok though when i had tooth cold sensitivity dentist did not check using cold until i actually asked that she do so. normally the patient does not direct the exam lol. laziness

unless emergent i save up dental work until visa run or trip to vietnam where i use a lady dentist highly recommended by a usa medical doctor that also uses her.

impressive facility and very competent dentist that speaks english well.  a normal porcelain fused metal crown about 2500 baht.  root canal 2-3000 baht. fillings, cleaning also priced well lower than thailand

can you send me the name of the dentist office you went to?

I had a emergency removal of a broken crown where the root had to be removed in Ho Chi Min.

Worst experience ever. Took the doctor 2 hours to remove, and after I had to wait 4 months as shreds of the broken root came still out of the wound.

Vietnam has one of the worst medical services in South East and its always recommend to seek serious help in Singapore or Thailand instead. Cheap is not always the best, value is whats count.

1 hour ago, Accidental Tourist said:

I had a emergency removal of a broken crown where the root had to be removed in Ho Chi Min.

Worst experience ever. Took the doctor 2 hours to remove, and after I had to wait 4 months as shreds of the broken root came still out of the wound.

Vietnam has one of the worst medical services in South East and its always recommend to seek serious help in Singapore or Thailand instead. Cheap is not always the best, value is whats count.

do you not think complex / difficult extractions occur in all geographic locales? sounds like the reason to remove crown and root was due to an emergency as you stated. either trauma in which case the root could also have been fractured into multiple pieces already or pulpitis aka hot tooth. roots do not always come out in one piece either. a tooth extraction wound site would typically already be well closed well before 4 months so i dont understand how pieces of root could even continue to come out?

please elaborate

it is a well documented fact that excellent dental care and facilities can be found in vietnam. i have had multiple root canals and crowns in vietnam and the experience, facility and dentist expertise as well as great english proficiency were second to none and i include dentists i have seen in new york city and hawaii thus the statement is not made lightly.

in addition alleging one difficult experience/protracted outcome is a very weak argument to trash dental care of an entire country.  something like 250,000 patients in the united states die each year from medical mistakes, think about it.

10 hours ago, atyclb said:

yes please, give us her contact details.

16 hours ago, myshem said:
On 2/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, atyclb said:

https://goo.gl/maps/U9S7ynBpkS72

16 hours ago, myshem said:
On 2/15/2019 at 12:06 PM, atyclb said:

suggest you contact her in advance of your trip as she can schedule you to be seen right away (if you are in a rush) if no rush da nang is a great place, nice beaches, tons of good food, nice coffee, very affordable accommodation.  i stay near the beach and rent a motorbike.

YMMV. Had a great dentist in Hanoi who was a leading doc at the government dental hospital in Hanoi. Dr. HA. But he will be swamped at all times...

At the other end of the spectrum is Halong Bay hospital. That "dentist" ignored the very painful tooth and kept hammering on some other tooth. That "1 minute consultaion"  cost 350,000 VND. Some other dentist would have pulled the hurting tooth for that amount.

Vietnamese friends have warned me pf very bad operators. Western expats have warned me of rip off scams and extreme overcharging.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

YMMV. Had a great dentist in Hanoi who was a leading doc at the government dental hospital in Hanoi. Dr. HA. But he will be swamped at all times...

At the other end of the spectrum is Halong Bay hospital. That "dentist" ignored the very painful tooth and kept hammering on some other tooth. That "1 minute consultaion"  cost 350,000 VND. Some other dentist would have pulled the hurting tooth for that amount.

Vietnamese friends have warned me pf very bad operators. Western expats have warned me of rip off scams and extreme overcharging.

Good luck!

i cannot find any hospital named  "halong (ha long) bay hospital" .  you have a web link?

a very painful tooth could be pulpitis, which can often be resolved with great results with root canal treatment. i know very well because i had pulpitis in a molar tooth no less.  if pain were caused by caries then caries can be repaired usually. usually they will tap on different teeth to try to determine the one that is causing pain.

sometimes isolating the problem tooth is difficult and not clear. this was my case as i ha intermittent recurrent pan in the back of my mouth that i thought was due to a known enamel abrasion. my dentist did not think the abrasion was deep enough though to produce my symptoms and i was even thinking about requesting root canal on the abraded tooth. anyway it turns out it was the next tooth that was the real problem because it became "hot" and after root canal problem 100% gone.

350,000 viet dong is about 490 baht.  i have noticed in vietnam as in other se asian countries (thailand, cambodia) there are some clinics that specifically target foreigners and prices are significantly higher than normal local private dental offices, room chang in phnom penh comes to mind but they have plush sofas and illy coffee in the waiting room. 

• 2 weeks later...

just a small ps

in all the times over the years i visited the same dentist in bangkok she never told me or cautioned me about a periodontal pocket that i have. easy to spot on a basic dental exam.

the lady vietnam dentist told me about it on the very first visit. since that i made it a habit to floss every day and have also got descaling done to try to improve the pocket.

Archived