Speedboat captain to be suspended, boat de-registered after oil tanker slam

snoop1130

Speedboat captain to be suspended, boat de-registered after oil tanker slam

By Waranya Prompinpiras

1550056263_1-org.jpg

The serious moves to enforce marine safety regulations follows the twin-engine tour speedboat Sainam slamming into a small oil tanker off Koh Rang, off Phuket’s east coast, on Saturday. photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- The captain of the tour speedboat that slammed into an oil tanker off Phuket’s east coast while returning from Phi Phi Island on Saturday (Feb 9) faces a criminal charge of recklessness causing injury – and will have his boat operator’s licence suspended and the speedboat itself temporarily de-registered.

The serious moves to enforce marine safety regulations follows the twin-engine tour speedboat Sainam slamming into a small oil tanker off Koh Rang, off Phuket’s east coast, on Saturday.

Eleven Chinese tourists on board were brought ashore and given first aid, before being taken to Mission Hospital and Thalang Hospital.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/speedboat-captain-to-be-suspended-boat-de-registered-after-oil-tanker-slam-70373.php#UYE6wEX6BckfBTO3.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-13

"“Therefore, after Mr Apichat’s health has improved, we will suspend his boat operator’s license. We have yet to decide how long the suspension will be, but the maximum is two years,” Mr Wiwat said.

The boat Sainam itself has also been temporarily de-registered, making it illegal to use until his office restores its status, Mr Wiwat noted."

So if he killed, say, twenty people through negligence, his boat operator's licence could be suspended for no more than two years.

I see, the same as it is illegal to drive without a licence or insurance. Right. I bet he'll be quaking in his boots when his health allows.

OK, I understand why the captain's licence was suspended. 

BUT. 

Why punish the boat?  What did the boat do wrong?  Last time I looked, boats couldn't think or make decisions. this is like punishing a rock because someone threw it at someone.

The use of the word "Captain" to describe these T-shirt clad speedboat operators is an insult to anyone who has taken any sort of serious training regarding handling vessels from yachts to supertankers. The same sort of mentality as motorbike racers. I doubt any of them have any concept of Marine rules and regulations. Just the concept that the boat goes fast.

The tour speedboat suffered heavy damage in the collision with the tanker, which left in total seven people injured. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The use of the word "Captain" to describe these T-shirt clad speedboat operators is an insult to anyone who has taken any sort of serious training regarding handling vessels from yachts to supertankers. The same sort of mentality as motorbike racers. I doubt any of them have any concept of Marine rules and regulations. Just the concept that the boat goes fast.

The tour speedboat suffered heavy damage in the collision with the tanker, which left in total seven people injured. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

The garland shown in the picture didn't seem to do what it was supposed to do. Obviously a fake garland.????

Archived