Standard Service

Yellowtail

What are the standard single-phase meter/service sized available for domestic use in greater Bangkok?

I have 7 air conditioners and run up to four at a time. Also 200l hot water, lights, TVs,, computers, a few water pumps, a kitchen and an extra 'fridge.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What is the long answer?

Not sure what 30/100 means. 

The long answer would be from somebody that elaborates more than I do.  ????

"30/100" is the highest amp meter available in Thailand for domestic use.  Nominal 30 amps, 100 amps "max" - that is for the meter calibration.

3 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

The long answer would be from somebody that elaborates more than I do.  ????

"30/100" is the highest amp meter available in Thailand for domestic use.  Nominal 30 amps, 100 amps "max" - that is for the meter calibration.

That's long enough.

So I assume I would use a 100 amp load center, yes?

Is your home already built / wired?

Whilst a 100A single-phase supply should be more than adequate (particularly if you have no on-demand water heaters / showers) it may be an idea to consider a 15/45 3-phase supply.

A common supply failure here is loss of one phase, either directly as a LV fuse opening at the transformer, or indirectly as the loss of a HV phase (which leaves one LV phase on but very low voltage). If you have a 3-phase supply 2/3 of your kit will still be working ???? 

One thing I do sometimes wish is that we had gone 3-phase, it's invariably "our" phase that's off whilst most of the village have power ???? We have a genset so it's not a reall inconvenience (except when there is a total power failure when it seems like the whole village come round to watch TV and drink my beer) but it would be nice.

It's an existing 4.5 story shophouse. It's wired, but the wiring seems crappy, there does not seem to be a ground and the load center is on the mezzanine floor.

I'd like to put the load center on the ground floor, tie in the existing load center, add a new sub-panel on each floor, and then as we renovate each we can upgrade the wiring and ultimately move out of the old panel.

It's in Bangkok and we've never had a problem with the existing power. 

Thanks

Archived