The Perfect Cheese Omelet

sceadugenga

Oh, you know I am a sucker for the food forum, Scea. The real chefs will get on here and tell their secrets, but I'll do mine first.

A dab of butter in the fry pan on med heat. Three eggs. Crack them into a bowl, whisk briskly, add a little milk and/or water, S&P, and whisk some more. Grate up some cheddar, chop some chives. When the butter sarts sizzling, pour in the eggs. Use a spatula or chopsticks to slice into the eggs - more unifrom cooking. After a mo, sprinkle the chives and cheese on top. Turn the heat down and cover. After a few mins, the omelette should be almost cooked through. Use chopsticks or spatula to fold, sprinkle more cheese on top and cover until melted. Eat, la.

The key is a little cream instead of milk or water, 3 eggs, non stick pan, low heat, cover after about 1 min cooking. When only the top layer is still uncooked, add cheese, wait 30 seconds to 1min then fold over. The cream will make a less fluffy omlette, but richer flavour. It will take you a few tries to get right, as the combination of heat and timing is crucial. I like asparagus and crabmeat too, good with a lil sharp cheese. good luck

woodenit be better to add the omelette ingredients to the egg mixture while it is cookin'?...coat the pan widde egg mixture an, after 10-20 seconds add yer cheese, onions, mushrooms, peppers, toms or whatever, cook fer a liddle bit more then fold widda flat object like a spatula into a burrito shape...

depending on the omelette, I liketa saute the ingredients separately then add to de egg mixture...also, an omelette pan, properly sized is important...helps widde foldin'...any 6-8" cheap skillet will do..

inna breakfast buffet inna hotel in provincial Vietnam I saw a big black dude who was a guest waitin'

fer his omelette snatch de skillet away from de omelette cook, roll the mixture around sum an' flip it in de air...it landed perfectly folded an' won a round of applause... :o

I start with a cold non stick omelet pan (must be a small pan)

Whisk three eggs together with about a tablespoon of water.

Add to cold pan and turn heat to medium.

as eggs cook, occasionally lift edges of omelet with a rubber spatula and tilt pan to allow uncooked egg to flow under omelet.

Continue this lifting/tilting until almost all egg is cooked.

Add cheese and carefully fold (rubber rather than stiff plastic spatula comes in very handy at this stage)

Allow cheese to melt for 30 seconds or so.

Enjoy.

Thanks guys, it appears that the Spanish style omelet is the way to go with the tools at my disposal. Certainly a decent non stick fry pan and a small omelet pan will be acquired on the next trip to Farangistan.

Pumpuiman; a technique that will certainly be attempted with my unfortunately limited skills.

An interesting aside about eggs, the TV chef Keith Floyd once said that in a strange hotel where you'll be staying a while, always order egg and chips on your first visit to the restaurant. He said if they can't cook that properly it's unlikely they can cook anything else.

thanks guys, just made up my mind what to order for brunch. :o

edit:

would you believe the cook in this cafe doesn't know how to make a cheese omelette.

Told him I could show him how, and he says to me, "have the Thai chicken "wrap"!"

Er... what's a Wrap. Wrap around what?

Edited by kayo

How do you cook a perfect cheese omelet? Mine always break when I fold them.

Is this a trick question? Three Eggs, cheese(s) of your choice, one 'cured' 12"/14' pan, oval ramekin, stove (gas fired), broiler (also gas fired), some dexterity required. That's to make a decent omelette. No idea how to make an omelet?

I do the old fasion way...or the way my dad used to do them.

bacon onions and some sliced tomatoes are fried first.

Then into the pan goes the egg and milk mix that has already been wisked.

then a large dollup of grated chese is spread on top.then add spring onions.

When almost cooked through on a lowish heat,the pan is placed under a grill for a couple of mins to finish the top.See,no need to fold over... :o

When slighlty brown on top...take out and serve etc....

Essentials are :

Good, fresh eggs (naturellement). 2 large.

A good, solid omelette pan ( thin woks are useless for this operation ).

Heat the oil in the pan.

The eggs should hiss as they hit the pan. Some quick manouevring needed at the start, then turn the heat down a little and slow down a little ...

The manouverments are hard to describe. You need to see an expert. Ze classic omelette vould never be tossed.

The French would never dilute the omelette with water/milk/cream.

Add extras near the end of cooking.

Voila.

Indeed a classic dish.

Eat with freshly tossed fresh fresh fresh salad with French vinaigrette and a light wine. :o

How do you cook a perfect cheese omelet? Mine always break when I fold them.

Is this a trick question? Three Eggs, cheese(s) of your choice, one 'cured' 12"/14' pan, oval ramekin, stove (gas fired), broiler (also gas fired), some dexterity required. That's to make a decent omelette. No idea how to make an omelet?

I thought a ramekin was something like a Hobbit.

Prepare the filling in advance. Grate any cheese, saute any meats or veggies, season them as you do so.

Two eggs, 1 TBS water, well whisked together. Into a HOT omelet pan* melt some butter, then pour in the eggs. Keep the heat high! Jiggle the pan a bit, and use a fork to gently lift the edge of the cooked egg and slightly tilt the pan to let the uncooked egg run under the cooked egg. I do it evenly all around, until virtually all the egg is set except a thin layer on the top. Add the filling and cook a bit more, until it's golden on the bottom. If you are an amateur like me, fold the omelet in half with a spatula and slide it out. If you are a pro, fold it into thirds as you slide it out of the pan.

*Omelet pan: an 8 or 9 inch pan with very gently sloped sides. The sides are less steep than a saute pan. Nonstick really does help.

ye can make an omelette from most anything...sumtimes, I just take whatever leftovers, heat dem an' throw dem inta de egg mixture...de brits liketa call it bubble an' squeak but they just make a mess ob a good omelette...(scrambled eggs inna saucepan??? :o )

Bubble and Squeak is more vegetables/potatoes than egg.

I like smoked salmon omlette, but i've always had expensive tastes (my previous GF's cost me a fortune! :D)

.........thought you've been a chef in one of ur first lifes :o

I was, but i didnt like the hours/pay etc so i gave up.

The poo/stinky comment was meant to be humerous :D

Is that an ' off the cuff ' remark or are you giving someone the cold shoulder ?

Never, never add salt to the egg mix before cooking the omelette.

Bino's Gourmet Souffle Omelette

Prepare any cooked fillings in advance- whatever you want. Sauteed onions, bacon, etc.

Separate 3 eggs- whites in a large, clean, dry bowl. Dump yolks in a smaller bowl.

Whip the egg whites until firm. The egg whites should form a "peak" with the tip folding over when you lift out the eggbeater.

Beat the yolks enough to combine them, and then fold them into the whites very gently to mix them without flattening the whites.

Pour the mix into an oiled non-stick skillet on medium to medium high heat (6 out of 10 on my stove), and cover. Check occasionally, working the spatula under the edge to ensure that the omelette is not sticking.

Add your cheese and filling when the top surface looks "meduim dry-ish". Cover and cook for about 60 - 90 seconds more.

Cut it in half across the diameter in the pan, and flip one side on top same as folding. Pre-cutting is required, as it will be too thick to fold otherwise.

Cook for another 60 seconds, and serve ASAP. A nice light fluffy omelette guaranteed to ipmress. Serves two people nicely.

Edit- Especially delicious with smoked salmon filling and hollandaise sauce!

Edited by bino

.........thought you've been a chef in one of ur first lifes :o

I was, but i didnt like the hours/pay etc so i gave up.

The poo/stinky comment was meant to be humerous :D

Is that an ' off the cuff ' remark or are you giving someone the cold shoulder ?

Never, never add salt to the egg mix before cooking the omelette.