Caught Vaping by Police? Stand your Ground!

isaanbrit

Last night some friends and I were on our way home, waiting to cross Asoke intersection at about 4am. Two passing policemen saw my mate smoking a vape and clearly they saw an opportunity.

The cop started by explaining that vapes are illegal in Thailand and that my friend was in big trouble. “I know”, I told him as the only Thai speaker, “but surely we can sort something out?” He was from Khon Khan so I dropped some Isan to butter him up a bit, but we soon dropped back into Thai for the nitty gritty. 

My first line of defence was to explain that vape was actually good for your health and better than cigarettes, but naturally that held about as much weight with him as an astronaut. “In Thailand, they’re very illegal”, he said. 

“In that case I can help you out then”, I retorted. “There’s a bunch of dudes selling them right down there, would you like me to show you?” My second tactic proved no more useful than the first. 

“How much will you give me to clear this right now”, he asked, pushing things forward. “1,000 baht?” I suggested. (For
legal reasons I must state that would never have actually paid, I suggested this figure for research purposes) 

“5,000”, he said, “this is a very serious offence”. 

“No way”, I said, and we entered into a discussion on the probable penalties for similar offences in Thailand. 

“5,000 or we go to the police station”, he threatened. “Let’s go”, I said. “It will be much more complicated at the police station”. “I don’t care, I said, that is not a reasonable charge so I would rather go to the police station that pay that”. 

We haggled for a while. He asked how much the vapes cost and my friend told him about 2,000 baht each. Eventually he suggested that he keep the vapes and we forget the whole thing. I hadn’t thought about who would keep the vapes after the bribe was paid.

“No way, either 1,000 baht and you give us back the vape, or let’s go to the police station”. 

A little more haggling and I wasn’t budging. In one last ditch effort he pretended to use his radio to call in a car to come and collect us “three Ferangs, Asoke junction, send vehicle quickly” he yelled into the mic. But it was all a show and when he realised that we were serious about going to the police station rather than handing over 5,000 baht he threw the vapes back at us, got on his bike, and disappeared. No fine, no bribe. 

A quick google search says that vaping could get you ten years in prison (definitely
Not a primary source) but that seems unlikely when Ganja only gets you 40 days. Does anyone know the actual law? 

In this case the guy clearly had no interesting in busting us for vaping, I don’t know how chuffed his bosses would be with such a meagre bust, but it’s interesting that he didn’t just take the grand. 

4 minutes ago, isaanbrit said:

waiting to cross Asoke intersection at about 4am.

:shock1:

4 minutes ago, isaanbrit said:

Two passing policemen saw my mate smoking a vape and clearly they saw an opportunity.

to enforce the law.

5 minutes ago, isaanbrit said:

“but surely we can sort something out?”

bribery

7 minutes ago, isaanbrit said:

A quick google search says that vaping could get you ten years in prison

you dodged a bullet.

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/thailand-criminal-law/criminal-jurisprudence-thailand/e-cigarette-and-vaping-usage-may-result-criminal-penalties-thailand/

legal opinion on the 10 year bs, yea sure if u commercially smuggle this like other drugs thats the max sentence but that will never happen for a normal smoker.

Says enough that they didnt even want to take you to the station.

On that note, be aware in that area, i had a friend searched there and they tried to steal money from his backpack, they also caught him vaping.

They buggered off after he mentioned bigjoke... must be either fake cops or off duty cops trying to scam tourists.

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Two security guards from a shipping mal once tried to fine me for throwing a fag. I told them to f off, of course.

You mean those guys armed with flashlights, walkie talkies, and zip ties?  Oh dear

The law is all about importing the devices and liquids for commercial purposes.

What if you buy it in Thailand for personal use...no problem.

They can't do anything - this is why they didn't take you to the police station, the 10 year sentence is for commercial importers and resellers of the products.

I can prove where I purchased my device and liquids and it was a company in Thailand.

If they ever hassle me about this I will immediately insist on going to court to 'face the music' and they won't get a single Baht from me.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

The law is all about importing the devices and liquids for commercial purposes.

What if you buy it in Thailand for personal use...no problem.

They can't do anything - this is why they didn't take you to the police station, the 10 year sentence is for commercial importers and resellers of the products.

I can prove where I purchased my device and liquids and it was a company in Thailand.

If they ever hassle me about this I will immediately insist on going to court to 'face the music' and they won't get a single Baht from me.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. Burn up the whole day at some hot-a** police station and end up paying 500-1000 to get my ID back. 

that story is nothing.  once i was jaywalking and an undercover spy from the Ukraine tried to get me to pay 39 million baht, knowing i only had 38 in my pocket.  i was threatened, bugged, and put into a cargo hold for 139 days.  i then realized this "cargo hold" was what you farangs call a plane.  i landed in Siberia and then things really got crazy.... 

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, that's what I'd do. Burn up the whole day at some hot-a** police station and end up paying 500-1000 to get my ID back. 

You don't seem to get it - they won't be taking you to any police station, the whole thing is a bluff.

I've never seen any evidence of anyone being charged with a crime for carrying a personal e-cig around with them.

I've come across various people who've paid 'fines' to get out of what they thought was a pending arrest but it's all fake.

29 minutes ago, puukao said:

that story is nothing.  once i was jaywalking and an undercover spy from the Ukraine tried to get me to pay 39 million baht, knowing i only had 38 in my pocket.  i was threatened, bugged, and put into a cargo hold for 139 days.  i then realized this "cargo hold" was what you farangs call a plane.  i landed in Siberia and then things really got crazy.... 

Did you have to burn the money to stay warm?

26 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You don't seem to get it - they won't be taking you to any police station, the whole thing is a bluff.

I've never seen any evidence of anyone being charged with a crime for carrying a personal e-cig around with them.

I've come across various people who've paid 'fines' to get out of what they thought was a pending arrest but it's all fake.

Yeah, well I don't "vape".

When I get stopped (jeeze, it been years) I just pretend like I don't know what they're talking about and they usually just get tired and let me go. Only went to the station once, never again...

Archived