Tonsillectomy with Dr Rat, what do you think? 3000 baht?

robodelfy

Hi

I've had a 3 years chronic voice/throat issue. I have had 2 laser tonsillectomies in the UK which cost £3300 overall! The second was to remove some left over tissue. It helped my issue but not completely. Today I saw Dr Rat at his Clinic in Chiang Mai thanks to peoples advice here. 

He couldnt understand why there is still tonsil tissue left after two operations! He said I should get the remaining tissue removed, and he could do it. He said it would be 3000 baht, which shocked me, but now from looking online, I'm guessing he meant 30,000 baht? What do you think, it cant be 3000 baht!

He said it would be day surgery and I would recover in a week. I dont believe that because it took about 3 weeks to fully recover last time and the laser is meant to be far less 'brutal'. I have to say I'm nervous about having a proper operation done here. Should I be worried? Do you think it will be on a par with one done in the UK. People have spoken highly of Dr Rat but I also noticed a few people saying they dont think he's that great anymore, but I cant find the thread. His clinic did seem a bit shabby and he wasn't that sensitive when sticking metal objects in my mouth to look.

If anyone has personal experience with him, operations or tonsillectomies here in CM it would be great. I cant afford another one in the UK, and they have failed to get all the tissue out anyway. But I have to make a quick decision as he said we could do it on Saturday! I'm dreading the pain, and also it seems ridiculous to spend so much on multiple laser operations only to finish it all off with a knife which is what I wanted to avoid!!

Thanks for listening ????

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

I used to be a patient for a number of years but the last two visits left me very disappointed with him.

I think he told me once that any surgical procedures he does start at 40,000 Baht.

Get another opinion.

His name is Dr. Rak, not Rat.

Thanks, could you explain more why the last two visits left you disappointed, do yo know if he is a good surgeon? Also would you be able to recommend anyone else for a second opinion here in CM?

Im certain he said 3000, as I asked twice. But as you mention 40,000 it cant be that cheap. I might have to go back to ask him again

Sorry, I saw him referred to as Dr Rat on this forum. Dr Rak ???? 

Archived