Thai avocados

RickG16

1 minute ago, MJKT2014 said:

What price, where to buy?

Mrs bought some on FB from Chiang Mai, they were excellent value for money, about 6 months back when in season.

About 60 something baht for 3. In Macro, but they weren't in the fridge, they were in a staff trolley waiting to be added and I was lucky to spot them! 

29 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Are they just the same as 'Western' avocados in terms of taste, or is there a difference?

I am from California where we grow avocados by the tons and they are not the same.

you can tell just by looking at them. they are very hard, the skin is thinner and does not peal and they don't seem to ripen the same as US avocados. 

Just now, NCC1701A said:

I am from California where we grow avocados by the tons and they are not the same.

you can tell just by looking at them. they are very hard, the skin is thinner and does not peal and they don't seem to ripen the same as US avocados. 

The ones I've eaten previously are New Zealand grown so I can't comment on that.

I definately won't be eating them until they are ripe.

Thai avocados are awful. Usually they either never ripen and stay rock hard forever, or they ripen and rot so fast that you dont even have time to notice it. And even if you do happen to catch one during the 10 minutes they are edible they still dont taste nice.

Waste of money.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Thai avocados are awful. Usually they either never ripen and stay rock hard forever, or they ripen and rot so fast that you dont even have time to notice it. And even if you do happen to catch one during the 10 minutes they are edible they still dont taste nice.

Waste of money.

I usually mash mine and season before putting on toast, hoping this will help. 

2 hours ago, Michaelaway said:

KK is 100% correct imo. Thai avocados are almost always lacking in flavor. So, we make guacamole- with a lotta garlic, evoo, (good) tomatoes, red onion, etc. 

g.jpg

I can usually get away with a bit of salt, lemon and maybe some capers when putting on toast. But with these I might go with full on guac. 

Ok, so I'm driving to get some food early this morning and was really surprised to see a street-side vendor with a truckload of avocados for sale, 170 baht/ kilo. In the past, the only places I'd bought avocados were: Makro, Golden Palace or Villa Market. One thing this seller did that helped a lot, was to cut open & display 3 avocados; they were all smooth & ripe with good color. So, I bought a kilo (4 pieces), came home and made guacamole. These are the best avocados I ever had in Thailand, and just about the cheapest. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow. Hmm... guacamole & tortilla chips, guacamole on toast, guacamole pita pizzas, guacamole grilled cheese sandwiches, seafood stuffed avocados... what else can I make?

2-15-2019A.jpg

2-15-2019B.jpg

17 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

I find them petty delicious, not quite as good as the smaller ones but make for the perfect trifector to a smoothie.
You don't tell an avocado when to eat it, an avocado will tell you.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ive just been told that the Macro finest are just under 400Bht for 4 .. thats 5.3333333 Large Leo's from Mon n Pops.!.:drunk:

3 hours ago, Michaelaway said:

Ok, so I'm driving to get some food early this morning and was really surprised to see a street-side vendor with a truckload of avocados for sale, 170 baht/ kilo. In the past, the only places I'd bought avocados were: Makro, Golden Palace or Villa Market. One thing this seller did that helped a lot, was to cut open & display 3 avocados; they were all smooth & ripe with good color. So, I bought a kilo (4 pieces), came home and made guacamole. These are the best avocados I ever had in Thailand, and just about the cheapest. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow. Hmm... guacamole & tortilla chips, guacamole on toast, guacamole pita pizzas, guacamole grilled cheese sandwiches, seafood stuffed avocados... what else can I make?

2-15-2019A.jpg

2-15-2019B.jpg

Nice, how can you tell if these ones are ripe without slicing open? Can you push them with a finger and check for some indentation as with the smaller ones?

Ive just been told that the Macro finest are just under 400Bht for 4 .. thats 5.3333333 Large Leo's from Mon n Pops.!.:drunk:

Just got back from the market, picked up 4, the size of a baby head for 60 baht.
If they were 400, I too would be drinking Leo's as well.
Also noticed mangosteens must be in season, only 50 / kg

24 minutes ago, ThaiSauce said:

Just got back from the market, picked up 4, the size of a baby head for 60 baht.
If they were 400, I too would be drinking Leo's as well.
Also noticed mangosteens must be in season, only 50 / kg

Cali Imports, hence the price.Not at all Macro outlets. I dont know, dont do Shooing, too lazy now old. Never did before, i just been told.:shock1:

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Nice, how can you tell if these ones are ripe without slicing open? Can you push them with a finger and check for some indentation as with the smaller ones?

Yes, they should feel somewhat, but not too soft. You can ripen hard avos by putting in a sealed paper bag for a day or so.

a few weeks ago I found some avocados at the big Lotus in changwat Suphan no less and they were very nice, Haas and didn't say where they came from, picked them over and found a kilo (can't remember how much it cost) nice and just barely yielding to a small squeeze...

they were on a top shelf where they keep the specialty items, musta been for the benefit of falangs as the shelf is too high for the line of sight for most thais...got them home and immediately made an ensalada de palta, sliced with just a dribble of vinegar and a sprinkle of salt...and not bad at all, not as tasty as what I useta get in California but I ain't complainin'...

never woulda thought that I'd find nice avocados at tescos...

Archived