Tell your wife to step up.

marcusarelus

All the stuff I have been reading here about the pitiful stories about men who have spent all the cash on a house and land for the wife and family and kids and are now broke is really pulling at my heart strings.

800,000 is not a lot of money when talking about a house and land today in Thailand. 

If the wife wants you to stay tell her to get a loan on the house and land and car you bought for her and her family and deposit the money in the bank.  Tell her you will make the payments on the loan.  How much are loan payments on 800,000 secured loan for 20 years?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP's suggestions are not that outlandish. After the Farang has invested a few millions in property, why not take out a loan to finance Farang-Hubby's retirement visa extension if necessary?

Of course, it would show if "true-love" is present or the marriage was founded on "alternative" reasons.

27 minutes ago, swissie said:

OP's suggestions are not that outlandish. After the Farang has invested a few millions in property, why not take out a loan to finance Farang-Hubby's retirement visa extension if necessary?

Of course, it would show if "true-love" is present or the marriage was founded on "alternative" reasons.

I think there are many who don't want to know the out come of this TEST.

But it is a very good idea.

Sounds pretty reasonable from one side. 

But If I were a suspicious woman, I'd be a little concerned that the guy's trying to get some of his investment back before skipping the country, leaving me with a mortgage on the property I owned free and clear yesterday.

2 hours ago, Gracas said:

I think there are many who don't want to know the out come of this TEST.

But it is a very good idea.

Yes indeed. It would indicate to any Thai Beneficiary that the Farang is running low on money. (Heaven forbid). Also would the Farang "lose face" big time. A Farang without money has the status of a Soi Dog in Thailand.

31 minutes ago, swissie said:

Yes indeed. It would indicate to any Thai Beneficiary that the Farang is running low on money. (Heaven forbid). Also would the Farang "lose face" big time. A Farang without money has the status of a Soi Dog in Thailand.

Not sure how your maths comes up with 'without money' the idea being the pot is created at low Thai interest rates and the loan is gently lowered leaving the farang with a comfortable surplus for daily spending. No hassles about bringing monthly money in and in reality probably less expensive than renting. After a period of time hopefully the loan is paid off, wife has a house, and there is 800k in the bank. All good.

All those posts about Thai immigration colluding with banks to increase deposits would be ended.  Thai house, Thai money, Thai wife, all help the selfless Farang who brought in all the cash to buy a house for the family and children.  On many threads I was told to get to know the Farang who were being negatively effected by the new regulations.  If they are out of cash because of expenditures for a Thai family now is the time for the family to help in return. 

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Not sure how your maths comes up with 'without money' the idea being the pot is created at low Thai interest rates and the loan is gently lowered leaving the farang with a comfortable surplus for daily spending. No hassles about bringing monthly money in and in reality probably less expensive than renting. After a period of time hopefully the loan is paid off, wife has a house, and there is 800k in the bank. All good.

Say what? Stop smoking those weeds. A Farang not able to come up with 800K is considered as "Bankrupt" among Thais.

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That works too.  I was thinking of the married guys who don't want the hassle of the marriage extension rigamarole and use the retirement option.  

if you are having to pay interest on the money the hassle would be minimal compared to finding the repayment money

4 hours ago, swissie said:

Say what? Stop smoking those weeds. A Farang not able to come up with 800K is considered as "Bankrupt" among Thais.

I doubt a farang living in 3 mill home, truck, and 50k baht a month income is considered bankrupt but you are welcome to your opinion

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If the wife wants you to stay tell her to get a loan on the house and land and car you bought for her and her family and deposit the money in the bank.

Can't all of it has already been loaned against and the money went on the lottery. 

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Interesting post, agree with you and was wondering how many of the farangs who bought house car and other stuff for the ""loving"" wife will be willing to ask the question and not worry about the answer.... maybe we get lucky and some will post a true answer....happy valentine's day 555

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That works too.  I was thinking of the married guys who don't want the hassle of the marriage extension rigamarole and use the retirement option.  

I don't the emphasis on "hassle" for the marriage extension........................ it's not complicated; whilst use the retirement option the paperwork savings are minimal.

3 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

I don't the emphasis on "hassle" for the marriage extension........................ it's not complicated; whilst use the retirement option the paperwork savings are minimal.

Sure it is.  Retirement takes 20 minutes and you get the extension then and there and can do it by yourself.  Taking a wife to immigration is an invitation for corrupt behavior and you have to draw maps and there are home visits and you get a conditional approval.  Many more steps and work.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

800,000 is not a lot of money when talking about a house and land today in Thailand. 

upon reflection, I think this is a great idea. It should be listed as a unofficial requirement for married Farangs. no joke.   

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sure it is.  Retirement takes 20 minutes and you get the extension then and there and can do it by yourself.  Taking a wife to immigration is an invitation for corrupt behavior and you have to draw maps and there are home visits and you get a conditional approval.  Many more steps and work.

Maybe where you are..... but you are wrong as far as my location is concerned.

I had to draw a map and have a home visit for a retirement extension. I have had 3 visits in 7 years - new chief of Buriram immigration seemed to be concerned that they didn't know where their Farangs were......

11 hours ago, swissie said:

The latter is not unusual...

As with many threads on Thaivisa, it would be interesting to know actual numbers. How many guys have spent all their money and are now short for the 800k/65k.

Interested to know what percentage of expats the thread is even relevant to.

In my broader circle of friends and acquaintance's, maybe 40 people, maybe 1-2 of them have spent all their money and dont have the 800/65k. 

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

ll the stuff I have been reading here about the pitiful stories about men who have spent all the cash on a house and land for the wife and family and kids and are now broke is really pulling at my heart strings.

If the wife wants you to stay tell her to get a loan on the house and land and car you bought for her and her family and deposit the money in the bank.  Tell her you will make the payments on the loan.  How much are loan payments on 800,000 secured loan for 20 years?

Nice sentiment and many would do it except for one thing- hardly any Thai Bank will issue a loan even with the paid house as collateral.  I have had  sold a house before in Bangkok and the buyer had to go through many steps to be able to get the loan he needed- the banks require a professional survey of the property; they require complete documentation from the Land Transportation Office; Complete investigation of the applicant's financial status.

How many Thai wives actually earn the amount needed to get a loan; have paid taxes on their income and prove  the income is stable. The banks are mostly not interest in the foreign spouse's income.

There are ways around this by going to a money lender and getting the money but the interest rate is huge and you are gambling a 3 million baht investment against 800K- I don't recommend it.

It is much easier to get a loan off a paid automobile-  the banks even call offering it but  they typically will offer 200-300K.

Bottom line- concept sounds good but in practical terms- the banks made it hard for lower income Thais to  borrow anything more than a few hundred thousand.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As with many threads on Thaivisa, it would be interesting to know actual numbers. How many guys have spent all their money and are now short for the 800k/65k.

Interested to know what percentage of expats the thread is even relevant to.

In my broader circle of friends and acquaintance's, maybe 40 people, maybe 1-2 of them have spent all their money and dont have the 800/65k. 

How can some Wives step up, what about the ones who rent and car/truck is on the knock with all rest of the family poor. 

Archived