BANGKOK 20 March 2019 01:44

On 2/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, Peterw42 said:

As with many threads on Thaivisa, it would be interesting to know actual numbers. How many guys have spent all their money and are now short for the 800k/65k.

Interested to know what percentage of expats the thread is even relevant to.

In my broader circle of friends and acquaintance's, maybe 40 people, maybe 1-2 of them have spent all their money and dont have the 800/65k. 

Well I have it, reasonably accessible, but would be hit with a massive tax bill on it as it's classified as a pension

34 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you like to solve an emotional problem with a logical solution.

I think the point is that many men want to be seen by their girlfriends/wives as the big spender.

They want that she thinks "he is rich" and they think she will love him long time because of that.

And to be fair, lots of girls love the guy long time as long as he is doing all he can to look rich.

This situation will never be solved the way you describe. Because in many (most?) cases the he wouldn't have a loving wife anymore with this logic solution...

If you can keep your head when all about you   

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;   

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,

Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,

And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

On 2/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, swissie said:

OP's suggestions are not that outlandish. After the Farang has invested a few millions in property, why not take out a loan to finance Farang-Hubby's retirement visa extension if necessary?

Of course, it would show if "true-love" is present or the marriage was founded on "alternative" reasons.

A lot of True Love would go down the drain. and more then a few Farang would be pulling up stumps and move on,,,, just my opinion,,,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can love, can never trust a woman, certainly not a wife/gf, probably not your mother/daughter either.

You're thinking 4th time lucky, sounds a bit optomistic to me?

Have always been a bit of a punter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You are not living in Thailand. Back home what you say is correct but not here. Go and try it sometime and I will humbly apologize if it works for you.

I do live in Thailand. My ex borrowed from SCB with the property as collateral and I know Thais that have loans on their property. You are confusing mortgages with secured loans.

5 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I do live in Thailand. My ex borrowed from SCB with the property as collateral and I know Thais that have loans on their property. You are confusing mortgages with secured loans.

Then I apologize to you. As I said before the banks would not touch the wife, even with me as guarantor with more money in a bank than she was asking for, unless she had a wage and could produce pay slips.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, swissie said:

OP's suggestions are not that outlandish. After the Farang has invested a few millions in property, why not take out a loan to finance Farang-Hubby's retirement visa extension if necessary?

Of course, it would show if "true-love" is present or the marriage was founded on "alternative" reasons.

I think most wives are open to doing this, but their boyfriends (Pee-Chai) won't, how will they make payments on the car she bought him if you are using it to play for hubby's loan.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 7:12 PM, NCC1701A said:

upon reflection, I think this is a great idea. It should be listed as a unofficial requirement for married Farangs. no joke.   

Do they require the Spouse to go to immigration with them to show their face and identification when he applies for an extension??  If not, they should, that would put a damper on a lot of these phony marriages, read where one old gal was married to 16 Indians @ 10K Baht each.............on a side note the spouse getting a loan without an income seems to be a no starter............but i need nor a spouse or a loan so would't have a clue.

Edited by TunnelRat69

10 hours ago, Skallywag said:

I think it makes sense and I'm no financial wizard.  If your wife secures a loan using property, how will she pay it back if she does not have a good job.  Am sure the bank needs to know that she has personal income (a Job) so she is able to pay back the loan.   Many here have wives that do not work - so having wife get a bank loan is not possible

Ummmm  the husband pays it back.  payback on 800,000 baht can't be much per month.

To counter the naysayers. My wife's family stepped up to the mark without being asked. Not all Thai women are there for the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2019 at 12:38 AM, Solinvictus said:

Nice point!

Ohh how much the tides would turn on allot of couples if guys did that more often, asking her to put up more especially after being generous.  I for sure ain't being 'had' in my roots here.

I am always amazed at the numbers of men who accept a wife who is only an expense and never an asset. Why do so many men do that? Is it lack of self-esteem; the thought that you can only get a woman on a financial basis? Is it a macho-derivative; that you must be the only breadwinner? What is it?

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No bank will give a loan on a property without a clear proof of the ability to repay.

Maybe they could ten years back but not for the last five, banking has tightened up.

Not really the point.  While I appreciate all of the opinions this discussion about how a Thai person gets a loan is not really appropriate here.  40% of Thais have a loan from a bank.  That's a fact.  If one wants to get into a technical discussion of banking it should be in the banking forum.  Many ways to get a loan.  Brother loans money and land collateralize loan.  My wife's mother gives land to the children who give her money to live.  I'll make it simple.  Sell the house that Paddy expat gave Lilly Thai and both live off of the money - the alternative is starvation and the children being doomed to no education rice farming jobs - to listen the posters. 

Why anyone would marry a woman without a job or no job prospects is beyond me but that is not the point either.

I only made a simple point.  If they guy is being kicked out of Thailand because he used all of his cash to buy a home - reverse the process and use the equity in the home to help him stay.