Army chief dismisses coup rumour, but again says “don’t cross the line”

webfact

We must all play by the rules, there will be no coup because that would be illegal....errrmm no wait, I mean, not needed now, because the situation is stable now that the military has saved the country and will continue to save it for the next 20 years.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading an article yesterday talking about the army factions and what regions they are strong with and their relationships with each other.

Utterly bizarre the way talk about past coups as if they were great military victories that go down in the folklore of Thai military greatness.

Every country and army forms legends around certain battles and these become the anchor points of an armies history (battle of the Somme, Dien Bien Phu, Goose Green, Gallipoli etc). These battles give men a goal to aim towards..a kind of barometer of bravery and sacrifice.

From what I can see these legendary battles or military events in Thailand are all centered around coups, suppression of crowds and killing their own people.

You can just imagine the conversations in the officer s messes or militarily schools here recanting grand tales of Tripp’s going into battle against their own defenseless citizens and the glorious victory again at their own people who had no arms.

Just pathetic.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've lost track of that. Have they been delivered yet - and if so how many?

There's so much this lot make a fanfare about what they've ordered/initiated, then it all goes quiet.

Erm.....Not yet, but be assured they are on their way.......who is driving them here is another matter entirely..............

Image result for Chinese Army tank images

However, you can bet your last dollar that the new Mercedes has been delivered, and the new condo is ready for occupancy......

Image result for luxury mercedes images    image.jpeg.87721e1b0c9504721600ce992d847897.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Erm.....Not yet, but be assured they are on their way.......who is driving them here is another matter entirely..............

Image result for Chinese Army tank images

However, you can bet your last dollar that the new Mercedes has been delivered, and the new condo is ready for occupancy......

Image result for luxury mercedes images    image.jpeg.87721e1b0c9504721600ce992d847897.jpeg

The first picture's quite aggressive, but I like the next two as the 'more acceptable face of communism'.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

This plastic general is a disgrace and not worthy of holding such a position.

He is a lackey to the right people, and nothing more. Pathetic human being, he looks ridiculous and speaks / acts accordingly

I was going to be critical of your comment regarding looks, as that should not be a criteria.  Then I went back and took a closer look at the photo.  What's with the photo pin on his uniform?  I am sure he worked hard for all the rest also. Ha, ha.

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

I was reading an article yesterday talking about the army factions and what regions they are strong with and their relationships with each other.

Utterly bizarre the way talk about past coups as if they were great military victories that go down in the folklore of Thai military greatness.

Every country and army forms legends around certain battles and these become the anchor points of an armies history (battle of the Somme, Dien Bien Phu, Goose Green, Gallipoli etc). These battles give men a goal to aim towards..a kind of barometer of bravery and sacrifice.

From what I can see these legendary battles or military events in Thailand are all centered around coups, suppression of crowds and killing their own people.

You can just imagine the conversations in the officer s messes or militarily schools here recanting grand tales of Tripp’s going into battle against their own defenseless citizens and the glorious victory again at their own people who had no arms.

Just pathetic.

Sad but true....... When there was a need to fight in both world wars, Thailands death toll was less in both wars combined than two days road deaths today...... yet look at the size of the monuments...... Tin pot outfit of thieves....

8 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Sad but true....... When there was a need to fight in both world wars, Thailands death toll was less in both wars combined than two days road deaths today...... yet look at the size of the monuments...... Tin pot outfit of thieves....

But...heroic thieves, surely?

9 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Guy Gibson, 175 bombing missions, bounced bombs off water at night, less medal ribbons than a Thai bus conductor......... Not a patch on the General.....

gibson.jpg

A real man.

Led 617 Squadron into action (600 men including ground crew) when less than 25 years of age.

Crossed over the Mohne dam 4 times in the face of intense flak.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

This plastic general is a disgrace and not worthy of holding such a position.

He is a lackey to the right people, and nothing more. Pathetic human being, he looks ridiculous and speaks / acts accordingly

have been trying to figure out how the heck they become generals....is it based on who do they know, what connections family has or is it based on military activity/actions out in the field or maybe the stars are send by express courier

11 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Guy Gibson, 175 bombing missions, bounced bombs off water at night, less medal ribbons than a Thai bus conductor......... Not a patch on the General.....

gibson.jpg

Thailand's 'culture' is all about show - glitter, pretence, shiny colours (look at their pretty temples), externalities - and utterly empty (if not filthily corrupt) inside ....

48 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The first picture's quite aggressive, but I like the next two as the 'more acceptable face of communism'.

It remains what it became in 1938 (when the first of those who "would always be on the side of the people" acceded to power).

But as in communist states (and other states of a similar "disposition" to it) its true nature leads it to rely heavily on "State Capitalism".

But it is not, by any means, a communist state.

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Let's just hope that the old saying "like father, like son" doesn't mean that we are in for another "Black May" massacre, like his father was partially responsible for.

From Wikipedia:

Sunthorn Kongsompong was the de facto head of government of Thailand from 1991–1992, after a military coup d'etat led by Sunthorn and General Suchinda Kraprayoon deposed the government...

His son is Apirat Kongsompong, who since 2018 has also been Army commander.

Amazing Thailand the Army Chief doing media stops , warning people with threats of retaliation if they step out of line , and nobody even voted for this person, where's the relevant Minister ( who also wasn't voted in by the people )  to put this guy back in the box. What a stuffed system of government Thailand has, in the west most people in their country of origin wouldn't even know or ever see the Army Chief.

19 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

gibson.jpg

Good gracious.  I understand your point, but the  gentleman had multiple medals. For the sake of historical accuracy;

220px-Guy_Gibson_Medals.jpg

Victoria cross, a DFC and a DSO. Real service medals that recognized contributions. The gentleman had  actual earned pilot wings too.

Apparently referring to a known group of political elements he said “Do not cross the line. Everyone must play by the rules.”

Yeah, my rules, and the army rules. Why this nation remains subject to the rules of a hapless, and incompetent army, remains beyond my ability to understand. They need to be removed, asap. Whoever runs, should be voted in, even if it is Justin Bieber, or Amy the clown. Just get rid of the army. They are so far past their sell by date, that the entire nation is beginning to reek of an unpleasant odor. 

1 hour ago, otherstuff1957 said:

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Let's just hope that the old saying "like father, like son" doesn't mean that we are in for another "Black May" massacre, like his father was partially responsible for.

From Wikipedia:

Sunthorn Kongsompong was the de facto head of government of Thailand from 1991–1992, after a military coup d'etat led by Sunthorn and General Suchinda Kraprayoon deposed the government...

His son is Apirat Kongsompong, who since 2018 has also been Army commander.

that answers my previous question...how the generals get their stars..... papa was a "Rolling Stone" (as in the song) son will follow the foot steps regardless of his capacities/capabilities for the  job

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Play by the rules ? Unless you have tanks and guns and can usurp any government at any time you feel like I guess

ahh..he didn't say and his papa didn't told him either, the rules were fair

Archived