Army chief dismisses coup rumour, but again says “don’t cross the line”

webfact

13 minutes ago, Jadam said:

It seems to me that Thailand has been politically stable for the past 4 1/2 years, ever since the most recent coup.  Before that there were protests including the ridiculous "Shutdown Bangkok"

What will come after the new election?  Perhaps it will be stable for a while or maybe the protests will start right away.  Hard to say, but I predict another coup in the future, followed by a period of stability (like we've just seen).

Despite insistence from certain western leaders that "democracy is the only way" it isn't a one size fits all system that should be forced upon countries where it clearly doesn't work.

I would suggest that democracy isn't being forced on them by Western leaders. Merely that a good number of Thais are sick of being dictated to, ordered about and shot at by fat oafs in pristine army uniforms, bejeweled with copious medals and decorations.

What will come after the election? The rigged constitution and the 20 year plan, ensuring the same oafs stay in power. But then the political parties seem to be keen on contesting the rigged election like the toadies they are.

But dammit, if the parties won't even agree to boycott a rigged election and the public dutifully turning up to vote for 'Heads I win, Tails you lose', well, fine by me. If they can't even be bothered to simply ignore those at the top, it is up to them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so much dislike and crap spoken here by a load of pathetic forang well i my thai wife and all thais we know and have known for over 30 years here are very grateful Thailand has an army able and willing to take control when would be dictators like Taksin get out of hand. Im totally fed up with over 30+ years a load of half witted forang think they have any right or say in what is not there country Thailand is not some nanny state thank goodness and Pc Liberal crap is not liked here so to all people posting here insults on army chiefs as far as c im concerned you can if you dont like it just piss off back to your own countries which are in a state of total decline and full of unrest while here all is well thanks to the army in large part  

On 2/14/2019 at 1:36 AM, bowerboy said:

I was reading an article yesterday talking about the army factions and what regions they are strong with and their relationships with each other.

Utterly bizarre the way talk about past coups as if they were great military victories that go down in the folklore of Thai military greatness.

Every country and army forms legends around certain battles and these become the anchor points of an armies history (battle of the Somme, Dien Bien Phu, Goose Green, Gallipoli etc). These battles give men a goal to aim towards..a kind of barometer of bravery and sacrifice.

From what I can see these legendary battles or military events in Thailand are all centered around coups, suppression of crowds and killing their own people.

You can just imagine the conversations in the officer s messes or militarily schools here recanting grand tales of Tripp’s going into battle against their own defenseless citizens and the glorious victory again at their own people who had no arms.

Just pathetic.

Every country and army forms legends around certain battles and these become the anchor points of an armies history (battle of the Somme, Dien Bien Phu, Goose Green, Gallipoli etc). These battles give men a goal to aim towards..a kind of barometer of bravery and sacrifice.

JUST ANOTHER KIND OF INDOCTRINATION

ever heard of an army celebrating something it lost ????

On 2/14/2019 at 2:59 AM, SupermarineS6B said:

Sad but true....... When there was a need to fight in both world wars, Thailands death toll was less in both wars combined than two days road deaths today...... yet look at the size of the monuments...... Tin pot outfit of thieves....

you obviously condone the slaughter of countless troops in 1st WW ( up and out of trenches day in day out ) both sides i might add, to satisfy the generals's ability to fight a war.

and

Thai economy is way stronger than the UK's

On 2/14/2019 at 3:17 AM, Odysseus123 said:

A real man.

Led 617 Squadron into action (600 men including ground crew) when less than 25 years of age.

Crossed over the Mohne dam 4 times in the face of intense flak.

fought for Britain and look what the politicians rewarded him with today,  over-run by people who are not british but have more say than the british people

16 minutes ago, icare999 said:

so much dislike and crap spoken here by a load of pathetic forang well i my thai wife and all thais we know and have known for over 30 years here are very grateful Thailand has an army able and willing to take control when would be dictators like Taksin get out of hand. Im totally fed up with over 30+ years a load of half witted forang think they have any right or say in what is not there country Thailand is not some nanny state thank goodness and Pc Liberal crap is not liked here so to all people posting here insults on army chiefs as far as c im concerned you can if you dont like it just piss off back to your own countries which are in a state of total decline and full of unrest while here all is well thanks to the army in large part

There will be more elections, eventual dictators and "forangs" for a long time to come, so you better pace yourself.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, Grafting Ken said:

I will try explain things for you people that do not seem to understand. every country in the world is controlled by the elites and that's how it is. Thailand is going to be controlled by the elites long after I die so most of you lot are screwed.....

Go outside and tie yellow ribbons around everything you have and accept it because that's the way it is and that's the way it is going to be for a very long time.

the voice of reason surfaces

very well said

look at UK 

voted out of EU but most MP's are remain so still hoping to stay in one way or another instead of all getting behind the vote and going for a complete leave'  spineless bunch -  been like that for years tho

Very selfishly, I wouldn't mind another go with the military (either faction). The military have offered some extra budgets that have developed our area. Budgets made available that skip the steps they usually have to go through. For example, skipping the District Office, so less money is spread around directors and is put into the actual projects they are intended for. Of course, cuts have been taken, however, if you limit the number of people taking cuts then the total baht figure for the project at the end is higher. I am talking local government development. The local military tribunals have also helped limit local corruption for many Thais. 

Of course, corruption is still happening at the top in a big way, and human rights abuses are still happening. But it wasn't a whole lot different in Thailand with democratically elected leaders either...especially for different minority groups. They are all similar, just commit corruption and human rights abuses in slightly different ways. We are basing our extreme hated for the military on this idea that democracy is the perfect system? Isn't the current world trend starting to move away from democracy? I think so conversations do not hit brick walls, people should just comment on policy and potential for future development. As all sides are the same, this 'fatty army official is corrupt' becomes a pretty boring and irrelevant statement, as even with fair elections it will be this 'fatty in a suit is corrupt'. Whereas if policy is critiqued to a greater level, then maybe the forum will not be as boring and we will get a better insight into how different policy actually impacts members. 

Like I said, my opinion is a purely selfish one that benefits my family and I in our immediate area. Our sub-district has gone from having no water, many places no electricity, or any real government offices. Now it has supply water, electricity, roads, street lights, dams and solar powered pumps made available to farmers, solar powered kindergarten, juvenile prison, rice research lab, markets, meeting places with exercise equipment and free WIFI.

13 hours ago, baboon said:

I would suggest that democracy isn't being forced on them by Western leaders. Merely that a good number of Thais are sick of being dictated to, ordered about and shot at by fat oafs in pristine army uniforms, bejeweled with copious medals and decorations.

What will come after the election? The rigged constitution and the 20 year plan, ensuring the same oafs stay in power. But then the political parties seem to be keen on contesting the rigged election like the toadies they are.

But dammit, if the parties won't even agree to boycott a rigged election and the public dutifully turning up to vote for 'Heads I win, Tails you lose', well, fine by me. If they can't even be bothered to simply ignore those at the top, it is up to them.

That is because you are thinking that they are in it for the people. They just want a place at the feeding through and by boycotting that chance is a lot less. Better to go on like this and benefit themselves then to help the country. 

I see it now totally different and it all makes sense to me now. Its all about money and the people are just a means to an end. To get in a nice position and reap the benefits. 

There might be some good guys out there, but the majority is in it for themselves (no matter what party)

14 hours ago, Jadam said:

It seems to me that Thailand has been politically stable for the past 4 1/2 years, ever since the most recent coup.  Before that there were protests including the ridiculous "Shutdown Bangkok"

The people who ran the Shutdown Bangkok nonsense are the people currently "maintaining the peace".

Your position lacks logic.

What will come after the new election?  Perhaps it will be stable for a while or maybe the protests will start right away.  Hard to say, but I predict another coup in the future, followed by a period of stability (like we've just seen).

Not sure the Thais will tolerate another coup.

Guess time will tell.

Despite insistence from certain western leaders that "democracy is the only way" it isn't a one size fits all system that should be forced upon countries where it clearly doesn't work.

Seems to me there is an awful lot of Thais that want democracy - not sure why you're mentioning western leaders.

Do you not think the Thai people should live under the system that the Thai people want?

(or are you too afraid to admit what you really support and thus have resorted to hiding behind "western leaders" nonsense?)

On 2/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, Grafting Ken said:

I will try explain things for you people that do not seem to understand. every country in the world is controlled by the elites and that's how it is. Thailand is going to be controlled by the elites long after I die so most of you lot are screwed.....

Go outside and tie yellow ribbons around everything you have and accept it because that's the way it is and that's the way it is going to be for a very long time.

How many countries have the most unequal wealth disparity in the world?

Just one.

Thailand.

Where exactly does the introduction of universal healthcare to Thailand by an elected government fall under your grand theory of "the world is controlled by elites and that's how it is"?

Could it be that under elected governments, the Thai masses are significantly "less screwed" - I think so, don't you?

On 2/14/2019 at 4:06 AM, ukrules said:

I seem to recall reading similar statements in the month or so before the coup that led to the current government and perhaps the one before that.

It's hard to keep track these days, there's so many coups.

Only 28 in the past 75 years...

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, cookieqw said:

you obviously condone the slaughter of countless troops in 1st WW ( up and out of trenches day in day out ) both sides i might add, to satisfy the generals's ability to fight a war.

and

Thai economy is way stronger than the UK's

85 British Generals died on the western front, 75 German ones, hardly hanging back eh ?  Mind you Thailand's ok, it's got nearly 2,000....... Britains economy is rated at the fifth in the world...... where's Thailand again ? 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, cookieqw said:

Dunkirk, sort of.

On 2/18/2019 at 2:55 AM, cookieqw said:

Yes, ANZAC day celebrates the Gallipoli campaign that you mention. It was not an ANZAC victory. The Serbs celebrate the Battle of Kosovo back in the 14th Century , which was also a defeat. The British celebrate Dunkirk, a miraculous retreat perhaps but still a loss. Many more examples, I'm sure. I think also that neither the BRitish nor the Germans celebrate the Somme. Like Verdun, everyone lost that battle. Commemorate  is perhaps more apt than celebrate

Archived