US aircraft carrier anchors in Laem Chabang to kick off Cobra Gold

webfact

US aircraft carrier anchors in Laem Chabang to kick off Cobra Gold

By PHUWIT LIMVIPHUWAT 
THE NATION 
CHON BURI

05b9064d92e64654bb6c510294d9db3e-sld.jpe

A file picture of the USS John C Stennis, which has been docked at Laem Chabang port since Tuesday as part of the annual Cobra Gold military exercise held in Thailand.

The US aircraft carrier USS John C Stennis has been anchored at the Laem Chabang deep sea port as a display of the close military ties Thailand enjoys with the United States. The aircraft carrier arrived on Tuesday, when the Cobra Gold military exercises were launched, and will be leaving today. 

“Our mission is to maintain a peaceful presence and support international law by sailing in international waters,” Captain J Patrick Thompson, carrier executive officer, told reporters during a tour of his vessel. 

Initiated in 1982, Cobra Gold is the largest Asia-Pacific military exercise held in Thailand every year. The training in recent years has mostly focused on humanitarian and disaster relief, but Thompson did not disclose what role his ship took in the drill.

Participating countries include the US, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan and South Korea. The drill was launched on Tuesday and will last until February 22.

The carrier is capable of conducting sustained air operations, maritime interdiction, counter-piracy operations, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

“Our objective here in Thailand is to strengthen the long-standing ties as well as to give our crew members some rest,” Thompson said. 

Members of the Thai Royal Navy were also present during the press tour. 

The USS John C Stennis is capable of accommodating up to 6,200 sailors and marines. With a 330-metre-long flight deck and a height of nearly 75 metres, the carrier has four catapults and four lifts and can accommodate up to 70 tactical aircraft. It has two anchors, each weighing 30 tonnes. 

Frequent visitor

First commissioned in 1995, the USS John C Stennis has been to Thailand several times, the most recent being in 2012, and has completed eight full deployments on international waters. 

The carrier is named after late senator John C Stennis, who served in the US senate for up to 41 years. Stennis stood firm by his belief in maintaining US military superiority, with a strong navy at the top of his agenda. The USS John C Stennis carrier also features a museum dedicated to the senator. 

When asked if the carrier has sailed through the contentious South China Sea, Captain Thompson said yes, adding that the sea was a very busy area. 

The captain, however, did not disclose where his vessel will be heading next, adding that the USS John C Stennis can remain offshore for as long as needed as they can have supplies dropped off to maintain operations. 

He explained that supplies can be replenished in two ways: by air via helicopters and aircraft, and by sea where ships can be connected with fuel hoses and cables. 

“The most difficult part of the job is not knowing how long a deployment will last,” a crew member said. “I’ve been on missions that have lasted from two to six months.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364101

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-14

“Our mission is to maintain a peaceful presence and support international law by sailing in international waters,”

And not at all like the days of the British Empire, when Battleships and Cruisers of the Royal Navy "dropped in" on small countries around the world to remind them who was boss and who ruled the waves.

How times change.

????

Just wonder how much environmental damage such a battle ship produces ... or a "Cobra Gold" exercise.

They are hopefully not running any diesel engines or setting anything on fire.

... but as these are the good guys they surely don't do such things.

[Apart from killing millions of people and bombing anybody into the stone age that has a different opinion]

1 hour ago, exparte said:

Don't know why the USA Wastes so much Time, Money and Resources conducting Military Exercises with a Country that is not currently democratic; and the leaders of the host country have shown their true allegiance to China and Russia.

I think promoting the use of international waters in China's backyard is the card their sleeve.

If "shit hits the fan" I think there will be flashpoint fighting in Thailand. Not so much from the Thai's but other countries within it fighting.

10 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Just wonder how much environmental damage such a battle ship produces ... or a "Cobra Gold" exercise.

They are hopefully not running any diesel engines or setting anything on fire.

... but as these are the good guys they surely don't do such things.

[Apart from killing millions of people and bombing anybody into the stone age that has a different opinion]

The John C.Stennis is powered by a 5000HP Cummins diesel engine. I expect the captain orders it and all auxiliaries to be shut down while in port. :whistling: Image result for sarcasm

I expect the shore leave crew have been advised to avoid visiting Bangkok due to poor air quality.

BTW these are the good guys.????????

The Russian Navy's flagship Admiral Kuznetsov is so much more environmentally  friendly.

image.jpeg.7ef37b4e98d16d58940824aecf5c8836.jpeg

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Over paid; over-sexed; over here.  I'll stop being a 'handsome man' and become 'granddad' again for the duration of their stay.

Since Pattaya became famous as an R & R destination, Thailand should be grateful for the visiting ships and the huge sums of money that will be spent by shore-leave crewmen and women. I hope they all have a great time. 

2 hours ago, exparte said:

Don't know why the USA Wastes so much Time, Money and Resources conducting Military Exercises with a Country that is not currently democratic; and the leaders of the host country have shown their true allegiance to China and Russia.

Well they were cancelled for a while soon after the coup. I don't know under what excuse they were resumed, or if only to irritate China. But apparently China (and India) have joined in this year. Perhaps they plan to claim some islands off the coast! 

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The John C.Stennis is powered by a 5000HP Cummins diesel engine. I expect the captain orders it and all auxiliaries to be shut down while in port. :whistling: Image result for sarcasm

I expect the shore leave crew have been advised to avoid visiting Bangkok due to poor air quality.

The Russian Navy's flagship Admiral Kuznetsov is so much more environmentally  friendly.

US aircraft carriers are nuclear powered, so carbon neutral. (except for the jets and helicopters.) 

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The John C.Stennis is powered by a 5000HP Cummins diesel engine. I expect the captain orders it and all auxiliaries to be shut down while in port.

?

So the information about being powered by nuclear reactor is a hoax?

And 5000(?) HP would hardly be enough to get the propellers moving at all.

Maybe add three zeroes?

The only ships to use these nuclear reactors are the Nimitz class supercarriers, which have two reactors rated at 550 MWth each.

1.1 GW is about 1.47 billion HP.

Don't know how to get from MWth to the power at the propeller.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

?

So the information about being powered by nuclear reactor is a hoax?

And 5000(?) HP would hardly be enough to get the propellers moving at all.

Maybe add three zeroes?

I assume English is not your first language.

Next time you comment on a post do not edit it to suit your agenda. My original post was using nuclear powered sarcasm 

Original Post.

The John C.Stennis is powered by a 5000HP Cummins diesel engine. I expect the captain orders it and all auxiliaries to be shut down while in port.  Image result for sarcasm

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Dam haha Why? for two reasons. 1. I liked your post and then I read the last sentence and then I felt politics got splashed in. Maybe its me, due to all the anti-Russian rhetoric over and over again. But just a friendly comparison, I guess, despite being compared to another environmentally unfriendly ship.

Edited because it's nuclear powered. What is that smoke?! I failed to think about its propulsion myself.

2. Funny picture (IMO) despite it being a serious harm to the atmosphere and sea life.

They might as well hang a banner across the carrier that reads "F Trees."

5 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

A 5000hp motor would't get this bad boy out of port. Most likely 2 nuclear reactors of 25MW plus each. I haven't wikied it but I guess I am close.

Checked the numbers.... closer to 750MW...that is very serious power

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

A 5000hp motor would't get this bad boy out of port. Most likely 2 nuclear reactors of 25MW plus each. I haven't wikied it but I guess I am close.

Checked the numbers.... closer to 750MW...that is very serious power

I was attempting a bit of light-hearted humor replying to post @9 that mentioned diesels.. I knew the Stennis was nuke powered but I had to add the "sarcasm" warning since there's no emoji for same.

Perhaps i should have used a sign :image.jpeg.4e119b42ab5f26a1d0eeefb736266713.jpeg image.jpeg

Archived